The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Marlen Medic in NC?
Joseph Myers

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2019 12:44 pm    

Any Marlen mechanics in NC?

I wanted to do this my self and learn (and I have) but I am in a week or so adjusting this steel and the 4th string is just not cooperating. I must have read every thread on pull release set ups as well a Marlen set ups. This Marlen does not have the end plate window or any nylon tuners option underneath, that I can see.

A and B pedals work and feel great,
My RKR lever lowers 4/8 a 1/2 step and I have that working.

My RKL raises 4/8 (1/2 step I presume) can't get it right.

C pedal string 5 raises fine. 4th string not.

So the 4th string finger has 3 rods. (RKR lower, RKL raise, and C raise)

I have tried balancing that finger midway and many points in between so I can get the raise and lowers but just can't get it.

Any help appreciated.

joe

Justin Emmert

Greensboro, NC
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2019 3:59 pm    

Message Doug Palmer. As good as he is with Emmons, he can surely help with that.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2019 6:39 pm    

I have posted this a dozen times on this forum to guys with P/R Marlens , but I'll try again.. See those big fat thick pull rods??.. Replace all of them with thinner rods, and try one more time .. Marlen pull release guitars had rods that were too thick for the holes in the changer and had problems with deflection, binding, and false pulls on the 4 string E. Mine drove me CRAZY on the high e string until I saw exactly what was happening with those changer/rod interactions... Put 3 thinner rods in there, and do your adjustments again, and let us know what happens... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2019 5:03 am    

"My RKR lever lowers 4/8 a 1/2 step and I have that working."

More then likely, this is your problem. You should get the fourth string working first, then do the 8th string. The fourth string needs more travel then eight. So your adjustment on string 8 will not allow string 4 to lower enough. Loosen the set screw on the 8th string lower rod so it is not working, then try to adjust string 4. When you get the C pedal raise and the lower working properly, adjust the lever to raise to F. Make that adjustment by changing the travel on the lever. Now go back and adjust string 8, both the raise and lower. You might need to go through the process a couple of times to get it right. You should be able to get working.

Joseph Myers

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2019 7:50 am    

Thanks for all the advice.

I have the 4th sting balanced for the raise, idle, and 1/2 step lower.

The 5th string C pedal rod is just slack right now, and with my set up, may remain so.
Unhooking the 5 string C pedal raise gives the 4 string raise a smooth action, and I don't miss it.

I am using a D9 tuning with some alternates on the non raise lower strings.

Thanks for the encouragement and replies, every bit has been helpful. The more I'm under there the better I learn.

joe

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2019 8:26 am    

You can have ALL the changes that are standard,, IF you change the pull rods to one size smaller diameter,,, They bind in the holes as there just isn't enough side to side play.. Seen at least 2 Marlens doing this and a few other brands as well.. Mostly happens to pull release guitars, but I have seen it on Sho Buds as well, more than once, and had to open the holes in the changer a bit.. I am 100% certain thats your problem...

Joseph Myers

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2019 8:35 am    

Thanks Bob,

I will get some smaller diam. rods and give it a go. Although, once i removed the 5th string C pedal rod, all three changes on the 4th string are working well. But I will give it a go for sure,

Where would I get rods. I have seen rod at home depot in different diameters. ?

joe

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2019 8:55 am    

All it is is welding rod. Any place that sells welding supplies will have the smaller diameter rods.. I would go one size down on all the rods on pedals A and C.. The fact that removing one rod has alleviated the problem tells me that when that pull finger is engaged, the other rod/rods was binding inside the hole in the changer.. I suppose i could be wrong without seeing the guitar in person, but I have fixed at least 2 different brands with the exact problems you have by putting smaller diameter rods in the 4 and 5 string holes.. Don't forget the C pedal when depressed has FIVE pull rods interacting.. Some pulling, some sliding through.. Lots to go wrong if even one rod binds slightly.. Personally I would go a size down on the 2 rods for string 5 as well as the 3 for string 4.. I think you will be very happy with the results.. I was years ago when I first ran into this problem.

Before you do anything , go under the guitar and watch how everything moves at the changer, look very closely at how everything moves.. Then put the rods you removed back in place, then go under the guitar again and see whats changed... IMHO you'll find deflection and or binding when all 5 rods involved with the C pedal are interacting... bob

Brian Hollands

Geneva, FL USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2019 9:05 am    

If you've got an Ace Hardware local to you, they usually have 7/64 welding rod.

Doug Palmer

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2019 8:04 am     Marlen

Joe, where are you in NC? I am in Greensboro if you want to bring it by we can work on it together.

Joseph Myers

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2019 4:09 pm    

Hi Doug, I am in Raleigh. I PM'd you about the Marlen

Doug Palmer

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2019 5:58 am     Marlen

Joe, tried to call you but the number you gave me is incorrect.

Joseph Myers

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2019 4:24 pm    

Doug,

I PM'd you the right number.

joe

Stan Knowles NC

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2019 9:07 am     A Doctor for you Marlen!

Billy Knowles is in Kennansville, N.C., not that far
from Raleigh....and if he can't help you with your Marlen problem, nobody can! Nice guy, easy to get along with too!