The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Check your gauges
FRANK MARIANO

PENSACOLA FL
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2019 10:07 am    

Just spent 3 hours trying to figure out why I couldn’t get my knees and pedals in tune.
Lesson learned, the packaging on the set of E9 were labeled wrong. Some body who was packaging the strings put the wrong gauge strings in the correct package. Be careful and double check your new strings.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2019 1:57 pm    

Memo to self:- purchase micrometer

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2019 2:09 pm    

I always "mic" my strings when putting them on my guitars. I have often found an "0.11" to actually be 0.115 and such...
Gauges sometimes vary 0.5 to 1 thousandth from stated size Especially when it comes to wound strings and Flatwounds are even worse. Most of the time it's not enough to matter... (0.23 or 0.24 both work about the same

Dom

Leo Grassl

Madison TN
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2019 3:28 pm    

Frank,

What brand of strings were you using when this happened?

LG

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2019 5:16 am    

Quote:
Gauges sometimes vary 0.5 to 1 thousandth from stated size

IF your guitar cannot be tuned with these variations then the guitar is set up improperly.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2019 6:33 am    

About 15 years ago (WoW! been that long) I used my micrometer and checked the gauges of several brands of strings. This wasn't to see if they were packaged wrong, just for curiosity between brands.

Without naming all the brands, as this was 15 years ago and quality seems to be more consistent now, there was one brand that was off more than others in tolerance. I remember Bobbe Seymour didn't like the way I measured them with a standard manual micrometer but his store brand strings actually fared more accurate in my measurements and he should have been happy.

Along with wrong gauge, I bought two sets of Stainless Steel (wound - I know) E9th/C6th through the forum that was filled by a forum vendor and they were marked Stainless Steel in the packaging but they were actually nickel. I e-mailed the owner about the mistake and I got a nasty response which included cursing. That vendor has since passed on and I never pursued it any further.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2019 3:03 am    

I never would have believed how useful a cheap digital caliper can be. For matters of life/death, maybe I'd spend a little more but for general stuff, gauging strings, sizing screws & rods etc, $20 at Harbor Freight or Amazon gives you a working tool.
I was a skeptic but it turned out to be one of the cooler things I've bought lately.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2019 4:40 am    

Jon, I have one of those but it only reads two decimal places of inches Sad

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2019 5:00 am    

You know--I didn't even know the questions to ask, the features to look for when I ordered mine from Amazon. It would seem that I just got lucky.
Mine, called EZCal (not the picture I stole from Harbor Freight above) switches between 3 decimal places plus an additional .5, fractions (7/16", 19/128") and mm.
I have no idea what I paid, if it was a higher level than those $20 items. It may be that at $20 you don't get these features.

I just found it -- this is what I have:

https://www.amazon.com/iGaging-Electronic-Digital-Fractions-Stainless/dp/B001AQEZ2W/ref=sr_1_fkmr0

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2019 5:55 am    

I have one of those dig. calipers Jon. I think I paid about $10 for it. It will measure a string size accurately plus you can use it to measure a lot of other things up to generally 6 in. or so where a mic cannot.

No need to spend big bucks on a precision caliper for measuring to .000 for string gauges and such. [...actually mine specs. accuracy to .0000]

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2019 6:18 am    

I was able to tell an .036 from an .038 on a guitar I was working on for someone so I got value out of that decimal place, restringing with the gauges that he brought the guitar in with).

But it appears that $20 will get you those specs (and that I paid a few more $$ than I needed to).

FRANK MARIANO

PENSACOLA FL
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2019 6:46 am    

Leo, I first want to let you know I’m not at all bad mouthing the brand, I’ve been using
SIT BE for years never had a problem like this . Just a packaging mistake. I’m very happy with S.I.T.

Leo Grassl

Madison TN
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2019 12:12 pm    

Hey Frank,

Thanks for the reply. I too have been using SIT for years and I am very happy with them.
I order about ten sets of "Sho E9th" nickel strings every three months or so. Were there any missing strings in the set or were they just packaged / labeled wrong?

Thanks again,

Leo G

FRANK MARIANO

PENSACOLA FL
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2019 9:16 am    

Labeled wronge