The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Issue with Emmons Lashley Legrande:
Eddie Thomas

Macon,Ga.,USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2019 4:24 pm    

Has anyone had a problem with the keyhead walls being too thick for the tuning keys? The keys that were used,are really too shallow for the thickness of the keyhead wall. The real problem is on strings 3 and 8. Is there a fix, without removing the key head and taking it to a machine shop? Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2019 5:51 pm    

Emmons used washers to shim out the undersized castings. Mine used 2 washers on 1 and 10 on both necks. You might try nylon washers from Tractor Supply .

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2019 6:25 pm    

What machines are you referring to ? Are they the stock machines ? Emmons used Klusons, Grovers then Sperzels. The are all different thickness and shaft diameters as well. Not interchangeable.

My LII has Grovers, there are no issues .

What machines are on your Steel ?

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2019 6:39 pm     Issue with Emmons Lashley Legrande:

John Swain wrote:
Emmons used washers to shim out the undersized castings. Mine used 2 washers on 1 and 10 on both necks. You might try nylon washers from Tractor Supply .

John,

Eddie is having a problem with the wall thickness being too thick, not too thin.

Eddie,

Does your Emmons have Grover tuners? Their earlier design had hex bushings with the male threaded portion being kind of "short". This meant that the threads sometimes didn't engage fully into the female threads of the tuner body. They redesigned those bushings to be longer and they also improved the tuning machine as well. The latest Grover C210 tuners have the Grover name on the round front plate (the older ones were plain, with the Grover name cast on the back side). Grover tuners have a lifetime guarantee, so if that's what you have, you may want to contact them to see if you can trade yours in on some new ones.

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------

Eddie Thomas

Macon,Ga.,USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2019 7:07 pm     Keys.

Lynn, you are absolutely correct. These are the earlier Grovers and the hex bushings are too short. Thank you for the valuable information, Eddie Thomas

Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2019 6:01 am    

Had the same problem with a 94 LeGrande I had. Emmons received a supply of short keys from their source which were a too short for the thickness of the keyhead. They sent me a full replacement set and the new ones worked fine.

Eddie Thomas

Macon,Ga.,USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2019 6:49 am     Short keys.

Dave, thank you for your input. I am currently communicating with Grover, and hopefully will receive some new bushings soon. Thanks, Eddie

Lee Warren

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2019 6:56 am    

Hi Eddie
I have the same issue ... very frustrating.
Please let us know how this turns out with Grover.
Thanks!
Lee

Steve Allison

Eatonton,Ga. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2019 9:05 am    

My 94 was that way too Eddie. I caught it in time not long after I bought it and Jack Strayhorn sent me 20 new keys that worked! You can take the washer off the ones that wont tighten and it will catch some thread. 10MM wrenches are different too! If you get too wild tightening the nut you can twist the key and break off the little dowel pin on the backside of the key that goes in the hole on the headstock. Been there,done that! Save the old keys if you get new ones and put a few in your packseat for spares; Right and Left side! Hope this helps you.

Eddie Thomas

Macon,Ga.,USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2019 10:56 pm     Update!

Hey guys, I got in touch with Grover, explained the problem, and in about 7 days I received the newer bushings. The folks at Grover couldn't be nicer. So, anyone having this problem, just get in touch with Grover, and they will take care of you. Eddie

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2019 4:38 am    

Eddie, how about posting contact info for Grover.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Eddie Thomas

Macon,Ga.,USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2019 6:32 am     Contact info.

music@grotro.com, this is the contact address for Grover tuning machines. Just tell them what the problem is, and they respond pretty quickly. I talked to the representative with Grover last Monday 6/10,and yesterday 6/17, my new bushings arrived. Customer service is really good. Eddie