The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Brandy Williams..Mike Johnson on steel
Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2019 8:35 am    

I just discovered Brandy Williams. Wow, she's very good. But where is she? There only seems to be one album available ( Honkytonks and Heartaches) and it came out in 2013. Mike Johnson does his usual magic on the project and the arrangements are top notch. I just happened onto one of her songs on YouTube and decided to buy the album on iTunes. If there was another one I'd be on it in a flash.

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2019 8:53 am    

I had the same experience, Bill. Dale Rottacker recommended that album and it was tough to even locate a download. She's got a great voice and Mike is outstanding as always. Here's a whack at Mike's Break in "Stranger Things Have Happened" if anybody is interested. There's also a link to the song on youtube in the post.
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=344769&highlight=brandy

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2019 3:25 pm    

Brandy plays keyboards with the band at the Blind Horse Saloon in Greenville, South Carolina, and is a huge fan of the steel guitar-she loves Emmons steels!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2019 3:32 pm    

Tell her Hey from a bunch of us on the Forum, Brett. Great voice, great album, and a great match having Mike play steel on it.

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2019 6:04 pm    

She's playing keyboards as opposed to singing? That seems like an awful waste, not to detract from keyboard players, but with a voice like that it doesn't sit right with me. I think she's at least as good as Teea Goans, who has four albums out, all of which I have. I think Teea had a pretty good boost from the likes of Vince Gill and Bill Anderson however. Maybe Brandy needs some contacts like that to get her career rolling.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2019 6:49 pm    

Another discussion:

Click Here

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2019 4:05 am    

No one cold ever accuse Mike of saving all his best licks for the headliner artists. His playing was fantastic on this album and I've seen other instances. There's a song by Gord Bamford called 'My Heart's a Genius' where Mike cuts loose on a wild uptempo solo that freaks me out. Gord Bamford is pretty well known in parts of Canada but hasn't made a big dent in the US. market. I don't even try to replicate what Mike did on that cut.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2019 5:16 am    

Bill, that cut is outstanding and floors me. Wicked licks for sure. I love Mikes playing and tone.