The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Divorcing. Please Help. PLEASE CLOSE!!!
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2019 11:23 am    

On the advice of a forum member and my soon to be ex-wife, I have decided to do a GoFundMe campaign to help me move and take care of some expenses, mostly medical procedures I need done, and moving costs, getting a place, or even renting a room from someone. The costs of living here in California are very high and prohibitive.

I hope to be able to move to another state that is more affordable. That will cost a fortune. Not only because of moving costs, but the costs of travelling to the places to meet with any future room mates, or landlords and checking places out.

My wife is being very amicable, and not kicking me out. She is letting me live here until I can find a place. Also, we have a "contract" that I would still pay the electric, propane, internet and all food until she sells the place and I move out. I don't want to stiff her on that deal. That's obviously going to be a problem if I find a place before she sells. By the way, it solely her house. I will get nothing from the sale.

I was not going to ask for any help, but I would appreciate any help you can give. I really want to get my life on track again.

https://www.gofundme.com/divorcing-need-to-move&rcid=r01-156019644683-393426eb8a6b451f&pc=ot_co_campmgmt_w

Moderators - I know this should be in "Our Extended Family", but I need help so bad that it will be seen by more people here, including non-members.

Last edited by Richard Sinkler on 12 Jun 2019 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2019 12:06 pm    

Richard, wouldn't it be easier just to sell some of your equipment? It is going to be hard to drag all that stuff around if you have no permanent home anyway. If you sell it, you'll will have a stake, you won't have to worry about hauling equipment around and you can buy a new steel once you are settled in a new home.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 10 Jun 2019 12:12 pm    

With my very minimal income, I will probably never be able to buy another guitar. I am putting my Mullen up for sale, but to move and get a place, it's going to be more that I come up with. I'm hoping to be able to keep my Carter and amp. Outside of some effects, I don't have anything else. Keeping one guitar and my amp, I might possibly be able to make some money playing music, as well as keeping my sanity.

I'm not really expecting too much help from the GoFundMe thing. Most people nowadays are struggling.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2019 1:45 pm    

I'll bet 50% of us have gone through that at one time or another, sorry you are on the list. I will note that expenses vary widely from one state to another, and it might make good financial sense to leave CA for much more sensible surroundings. In turn, the better finances will result in lower stress levels and better performance when you play.Very Happy

Not sure why you would agree to cover the expenses you list AFTER you move out if you get nothing from the sale. But I'll give you good marks for wanting to fulfill the agreement you committed to.

Good luck!

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 10 Jun 2019 3:24 pm    

I'm getting a bunch of flack on the GoFundMe thing.. Most here know my history. I am not trying to scam anyone. May end it.

Last edited by Richard Sinkler on 10 Jun 2019 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 10 Jun 2019 3:30 pm    

Don R Brown wrote:
I'll bet 50% of us have gone through that at one time or another, sorry you are on the list. I will note that expenses vary widely from one state to another, and it might make good financial sense to leave CA for much more sensible surroundings. In turn, the better finances will result in lower stress levels and better performance when you play.Very Happy

Not sure why you would agree to cover the expenses you list AFTER you move out if you get nothing from the sale. But I'll give you good marks for wanting to fulfill the agreement you committed to.

Good luck!

There's not going to be much of a profit from the house. It's a mobile home, in a crappy park, getting run down. She payed $47,000. We/she never put any money into badly needed upgrades (carpets etc...). She's only had it since Dec. 2016. Not much more than interest paid on.

The reason I am being so nice is that she could have just booted my butt out the door. She can't afford to stay here without my help with utilities and groceries. We both live on Social Security. She helped me out of a bad situation when we married. I was going to be homeless for the 2nd time. I am disabled to the point where I can't hold a job. I have tried.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2019 6:11 am    

I would sure check about the tax/legal implications of a "for personal gain" Go Fund Me Page.

I would tend to think that it is not legal. If it were, then 75% of America and the world would have GoFundMe pages.

I am sure not a lawyer, but I would sure check with a tax lawyer before I did this.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 11 Jun 2019 6:13 am    

It must be legal. Millions do it, and I think GoFundMe would know the legalities. But I will check.

From: https://www.picpa.org/articles/cpa-now-blog/cpa-now/2017/04/26/go-fund-me-and-the-tax-implications
Quote:

There are many stories about people who raise money through crowd funding sites and wake up one day to find a big tax bill in the mail. Clearly, when someone is gravely ill and facing mounting medical expenses, the last thing on the mind is the tax implications related to the gifts that aided in the payment of obligations. Generally, these individuals believe that the gifts are tax free, and as such the income is never reported on the tax individual’s tax return. In some cases these individuals have so little actual income that a return is never filed. Then the IRS letter shows up indicating that taxes, interest, and penalties are owed – an event triggered by a 1099-K.1

Typically, money raised through a crowdfunding site such as Go Fund Me is processed through third-party settlement entities such as PayPal. IRS rules for those processing entities are very clear regarding the requirement to issue the 1099-K:

The settlement of third-party payment network transactions above the minimum reporting thresholds of

gross payments that exceed $20,000, and
more than 200 such transactions.2
Thus, a taxpayer that gets a 1099-K should be prepared to deal with that information on the tax return. Just because a 1099-K is issued, however, does not mean that the recipient owes taxes on the funds. One potential manner to report this is to include the amount on the 1040 as “Other Income,” and reflect a negative adjustment in the same amount with the inclusion of a “Statement Concerning” the position taken. If appropriate to the situation and in consultation with a tax professional, a statement could read in part:

All amounts reflected in the 1099-K are excludable from income under IRC Section 102.3 These amounts reflect the money taxpayer received as the result of gifts from donors. Those gifts were used to pay the medical expenses of the taxpayer and are excludable from gross income.

I did a GoFundMe when I needed to get a transmission fixed so I could get to gigs and support myself. I never got to the needed amount on there. Someone in private donated the remaining $1500 I needed. No 1099.

Last edited by Richard Sinkler on 11 Jun 2019 6:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2019 6:24 am    

It is certainly legal but you will need to declare the money as income on your taxes and pay tax on it. FYI

rpetersen

Iowa
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2019 6:30 am    

JOB?

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2019 6:45 am    

Ron:

Richard said he is disabled to the point he can't keep a job and has tried. I think he is on social security disability which is not much. Disability is a big problem in our society, I had a friend who was a software engineer and had great paying jobs then she got a chronic illness and couldn't get out of bed in the morning often, all of a sudden you go from prosperous to a beggar and its not your fault. Maybe he could find a caretaker kind of job that doesn't require anything physical.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 11 Jun 2019 7:10 am    

Darrell Criswell wrote:
Ron:

Richard said he is disabled to the point he can't keep a job and has tried. I think he is on social security disability which is not much. Disability is a big problem in our society, I had a friend who was a software engineer and had great paying jobs then she got a chronic illness and couldn't get out of bed in the morning often, all of a sudden you go from prosperous to a beggar and its not your fault. Maybe he could find a caretaker kind of job that doesn't require anything physical.

Not only is the back bad enough, I also have the effects of the stroke I had (dizziness, unsteadiness, short term memory loss,and speech problems where I can't think of a word I need and just have to stop the sentence, of my speech get broken up so that it is hard for others to understand). Breathing issues left over from the damage a massive pulmonary embolism (that almost killed me) and left me with a large aneurysm on my pulmonary artery. I can't sit for long periods because of my back. I tried a dispath job in 2013, but couldn't handle the stress. Oh yeah, I have some mental issues that were bad enough, along with my back and hand/arm conditions, to get my first application for SSDI approved within 2 months, instead of the years that it takes some. The money I get is based on my age at the time I filed, which was nowhere near any of the retirement age points, so this is considered my retirement benefit. They told me that I have this for the rest of my life and can't switch it over to retirement income which may be higher.

If someone thinks I'm a crook, don't donate.

I have been having financial and health issues since 2005.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 11 Jun 2019 7:32 am    

Bill McCloskey wrote:
It is certainly legal but you will need to declare the money as income on your taxes and pay tax on it. FYI

I didn't have to when I did my other campaign years ago. No 1099k. There have been others I know that got a heck of a lot more than I need (over 10,000) that didn't get a 1099k because it is still under that threshold mentioned in the article excerpt I posted above.

I think donations and gifts aren't taxable under a certain amount.

There has been one ex-member that has been using GoFundMe for more the 3 years for living expenses because he wouldn't get a job, or on state aid. He keeps increasing the amount of his campaigns, and keeps opening new one's when he says the last one is the last one. Now that's someone who is abusing the system.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2019 7:46 am    

You may be right. Depends on the amount I guess.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2019 8:11 am    

Bill Ferguson wrote:
I would sure check about the tax/legal implications of a "for personal gain" Go Fund Me Page...I would tend to think that it is not legal. If it were, then 75% of America and the world would have GoFundMe pages.

More or less, that what's happened to GFM. Nothing illegal about asking for money, and as it's a "gift", it's not considered taxable income (until you hit $14,000).

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 11 Jun 2019 9:32 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:
Bill Ferguson wrote:
I would sure check about the tax/legal implications of a "for personal gain" Go Fund Me Page...I would tend to think that it is not legal. If it were, then 75% of America and the world would have GoFundMe pages.

More or less, that what's happened to GFM. Nothing illegal about asking for money, and as it's a "gift", it's not considered taxable income (until you hit $14,000).

I won't even hit my target anyway. No where close. My guitar is going up for sale today. That hurts really bad, as it was a gift from my wife when I realized I couldn't carry my Carter anymore. The lighter guitar would allow me to still gig.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2019 10:35 am    

Richard, sometimes we need to be creative and adjust to new life circumstances. These days, you could probably book more gigs playing lap steel in a "Americana" type bands. Lap steels are light, cheap, easy to carry and you can open up more musical possibilities into blues, rock, alt-country type music. Gives you something new to focus on. Reece wasn't hurt by going to a lap steel when he could no longer handle pedals. Just a suggestion. the key is too be creative and flexible and learn to let go of the past.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 11 Jun 2019 10:55 am    

Bill McCloskey wrote:
Richard, sometimes we need to be creative and adjust to new life circumstances. These days, you could probably book more gigs playing lap steel in a "Americana" type bands. Lap steels are light, cheap, easy to carry and you can open up more musical possibilities into blues, rock, alt-country type music. Gives you something new to focus on. Reece wasn't hurt by going to a lap steel when he could no longer handle pedals. Just a suggestion. the key is too be creative and flexible and learn to let go of the past.

I don't know how to play lap, don't care for the sound all that much. And, at least around my area, you see no gigs like that. If so, they are pretty well hidden. If I get rid of all my stuff, my career is 100% over. There is no chance I will ever have enough to start over.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2019 12:37 pm    

Laws were written to enfranchise the wife while demonizing the husband.

It's part of the social engineering to empower the wife so that she seeks refuge in the government.

Look at all the TV shows, the woman is in charge the man is "a loser."

Men, are to be castrated for lack of a better description.

In these days of you-know-what, two people should help each other get through the rough times and consider both went down the same road side by side, for richer or poorer in sickness and in health.

The lawyers are there to make a quick buck and since the laws are written to favor the "fairer sex" the male of the species gets taken to the cleaners.

Alien

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2019 1:48 pm    

[quote="Godfrey Arthur"]Laws were written to enfranchise the wife while demonizing the husband.

It's part of the social engineering to empower the wife so that she seeks refuge in the government.

Look at all the TV shows, the woman is in charge the man is "a loser."

Men, are to be castrated for lack of a better description.

In these days of you-know-what, two people should help each other get through the rough times and consider both went down the same road side by side, for richer or poorer in sickness and in health.

The lawyers are there to make a quick buck and since the laws are written to favor the "fairer sex" the male of the species gets taken to the cleaners.

Godfrey, as many times as I've been divorced, and as much as I want to agree with you, I'd say us guys are doing a little bit better when it comes to "social engineering":
Wages, right to choose, the vote (hasn't been all the long),representation. . .
Oh jeez, got me in a weak moment. . .pile on guys!
Just don't take away my he-man W.H. club card !

Billy McCombs

Bakersfield California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2019 1:55 pm    

Richard ,sorry about your Divorce. I say don't sale your Gear no matter what. Do you belong to a church? if so you may be able to get some help there. Are you a Vet? I have friends that are getting 1000.00 a month for having Diabetes. if your a Vet see your local VA. Illegal's are get all kinds of financial aid. Nothing wrong with a American getting the same. Me and my wife are separated now for two years most likely will end in a DIVORCE. Just make sure you keep a working steel rig. It will help you keep your sanity and make a little money. I always enjoy reading your post and your YouTube videos. Good luck my friend. Billy
78 Emmons PP,Great tone.82 Emmons SKH #56

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 11 Jun 2019 2:23 pm    

Thank Billy. I am probably be visiting a friend in Tehachapi in early July. Maybe we can meet up.

I want to keep one guitar (the Carter) and amp so I might be able to get back to playing music for money. I put the Mullen up for sale today. But that's not going to get me what I need to move. I doubt I'll even get 25% of my GoFundMe goal. Things just aren't like they were before. It's really hard to get help.

Unfortunately, I am not a veteran. I just went to church on Sunday. Probably the first time in 20 years. I have become agnostic.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2019 2:36 pm    

Quote:
"Brooks Montgomery"Godfrey, as many times as I've been divorced, and as much as I want to agree with you, I'd say us guys are doing a little bit better when it comes to "social engineering":
Wages, right to choose, the vote (hasn't been all the long),representation. . .
Oh jeez, got me in a weak moment. . .pile on guys!
Just don't take away my he-man W.H. club card !

Brooks, take note that a man was able to take care of an entire family with the wife at home.

Now that is not the case today.

While the combatants are in the trenches, the arm-chair warriors (generals and policy makers) have a different agenda.

Social engineering in the macro is different than it is in the micro.

Women's suffrage is a double edged sword. While they voted, they received one freedom while another was taken away.

They messed with the economics and now a single man cannot take care of an entire family while his wife stays at home.

Then people fight, people wanting their perceived freedoms become enemies rather than allies.

To use the life raft analogy, everyone in the raft needs to pull together in order to survive.

It's a time for solidarity, not nit picking.

Some people today, get divorced, but since they cant afford separate housing, they live under the same roof.

The Duchess of Cornwall, Camilla, was married to Prince Charles.

She still lives in his house after the divorce.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2019 5:38 pm    

Quote:
I have become agnostic.

Richard , please dont do that. Those that I know of that did are even worse off than they were.

In the darkest hour there is still hope.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 11 Jun 2019 5:46 pm    

I've been agnostic for a long time now. Hoping I can get my faith back. Went to church this last Sunday. We'll see what happens.