The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Forumite Nathan Golub on great new album, out today!
Kevin Swan

Medina, Ohio
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2019 1:13 pm    

Jake Xerxes Fussell's new album features Golub on pedal steel, and from what I've heard so far, it's pretty great stuff. (Don't know either of these fellers, but I sure do love their music!)

"At its best, Out of Sight is timeless, both contemporary and not, its logic and concerns relatable, its arrangements neither rigidly authentic nor conspicuously modern. While this strategy might yield middlebrow twang in lesser hands, Fussell steps into the space naturally. On his earlier solo recordings, he created an ambience with only his guitar and voice; this album is his first to feature a band on all tracks. Drums make any patch of folk melody sound “new,” but can be a challenge to pull off without diminishing the music’s atemporal mysteries. On “The Rainbow Willow,” especially, Fussell’s next-level mellowness seems to emanate through the surrounding players, particularly pedal steel guitarist Nathan Golub and drummer Nathan Bowles (himself an acclaimed modern folk revivifier). When the rhythm section falls into this mode, they find that ambience, too—a warm and collective musical charisma that defines the sound of Out of Sight."

-- Pitchfork Magazine review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPaxkkrS1mE&list=RDzPaxkkrS1mE&start_radio=1&t=246