Post  Posted 6 Jun 2019 11:37 am    

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2019 11:51 am    

Maybe it was a relative. Whoa!
Erv
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2019 12:57 pm    

The monkey might just do a better job. I live on a very narrow dead end street that's clearly signed "no outlet".

Just a few weeks ago, I'm mowing the neighbor's yard across the street when I see this big yellow blur go by. Before I could get over there to warn the driver, he was already stuck.

He'd pulled into a driveway and backing out, dropped the rear wheels off into a soggy grassy area yard frontage. When I got there, he asked if I had a board he could use to get him out. I suppressed my laughter and told him the only thing I could do would be to loan him a phone to call the heavy duty Suburban Wrecker Service.

We have a 4WD tractor, but he had the road blocked so we couldn't get around it to hook up.

Half the neighborhood was out there trying to help him, including a utility truck from the bus garage, but I just went back in the house where it was cool.

After about an hour and a half of wasted time, I see this big boy backing up the street.

These rigs are amazing. This one with big outriggers. He did most of the work standing outside with an iPad or some such controller after hooking to the front axle. After pulling the front end around a few times to line it up, he just pulled it right back out on the pavement. About 10-15 minutes.

This is about 3 times in the last few years that someone has tried to turn around a big ass bus on our street. We walked the last one before this out backwards after I refused to let them use my front yard as a turn around.

Besides the school buses, we once had a transit authority bus that took everybody on the street about an hour to back the thing out of the app 1/4 mi. long street. Rolling Eyes

They pay drivers a mere pittance and they're not well trained so you can't expect much.

Maybe monkeys would work for nothing and probably do a better job too.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 6 Jun 2019 1:09 pm    

I recognize that monkey. That was my last uber driver
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2019 1:12 pm    

"Give me forty acres and I'll turn this rig around.
It's the easiest way that I've found.
Some guys can turn it on a dime or turn it right downtown, but I need forty acres just to turn this rig around." Laughing Laughing
Erv
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2019 5:39 pm    

I always enjoyed seeing an experienced semi truck driver back his rig into a narrow loading bay with ease. You could always tell the inexperienced drivers as they had to make multiple attempts backing a 40 foot box into the loading dock.

Christchurch New Zealand
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2019 2:17 am    

We used to live on a steep hill section with a 90M narrow driveway. I had ordered a concrete truck and warned them of the driveway. The driver was a weekend relief driver and not experienced! The first load was so long in getting down the drive it was going off, He then refused to deliver any more and I had to go and get some premix and cement and mix it myself to finish the job. He was totally useless as I'd had previous deliveries without problems.