The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hand cramping
Dave White

Fullerton, California USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2006 1:54 pm    

I'm a PSG newbie who has been playing almost 10 weeks now, and since I'm starting at such an advanced age (50+) I have been doing a lot of practicing, usually 2, sometimes 3 hours a day or more to make up for lost time. I have noticed pain and cramping in my left hand, it started small at first, now it's so painful at times I can hardly move my fingers. My right hand cramps up as well, though not as painful. I love playing, but the pain is getting discouraging. Other than taking painkillers, is there a way to deal with this? I don't think I have arthritis--not yet, anyway. It's getting a little frustrating, though.

Steve Hitsman

Waterloo, IL
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2006 2:15 pm    

Dave,

Quinine helps. I drink tonic water which contains quinine. I developed a taste for it when I used to mix it liberally with vodka.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2006 2:15 pm    

I'm having the same problem with my marimba mallets.

I think you're probably holding the bar too tight. Maybe you're lifting it off the strings. You shouldn't need to do that. Just apply as much pressure as is necessary to get a good tone without string rattle, no more.

Use the edge of your right hand to deaden the strings as you change fret positions. Don't lift the bar - slide it while muting the strings with your right hand.

Good technique isn't strenuous. If your hands hurt, you're doing something wrong.

------------------
Bobby Lee (a.k.a. b0b) - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs, Open Hearts
Williams D-12 E9, C6add9, Sierra Olympic S-12 (F Diatonic)
Sierra Laptop S-8 (E6add9), Fender Stringmaster D-8 (E13, C6 or A6)   My Blog

Willie Crisel

Charlotte, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2006 9:20 pm    

Lately i have been playing for 30 to 45 mins,1 to 3 times a day when i'm not playing a gig,,at practice,i play more in an hour than i do on stage all night,,playing live,you have other pickers to consider,, try to practice like that, play a little ,lay out for a few measures,if you are playing with tracks or cds, also for me a bigger bar makes my hand cramp, and if i miss a day or 2 of playing it seems to hurt worse,,

------------------
MId seventies Push Pull D10 8 and 4, Peavey LTD Peavey Session 400 Ibanez analog delay

Dean Richard Varga

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2006 10:37 pm    

Hello Dave

I am going to turn fifty one next week. I have been playing since 1973, however, there are times when i have not touched it for months. When i come back to playing, my hands do the same thing. It just takes time to get use to what you are asking your hands to do. It will go away after a while.

Give it time!

regards, Dean

Jim Bates

Alvin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2006 6:37 am    

When I switched over to playing pedal steel after playing many years on my non-pedel 3-neck Fender, I developed hand, finger, and wrist cramping like your are describing. In my case, it was caused by the angle of my wrists and hand resting on the strings. So, I built myself a custom height stool which allowed my wrists and arms to lie straight on the strings in a resting position. (Nowadays, this is called office ergonomics and much attention is paid to the angle of wrists on the computer keyboard!)

This worked for me, maybe it could help you.

Thanx,
Jim

John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2006 7:30 am    

Dave, that happened to me recently while playing a gig. I attribute it to lack of exercise. I need to play more. I too, drink tonic water on the job (helps the legs also). Tonic water was not available on the gig where I got the hand cramp.
Yesterday a devised a modification for a steel bar which allows me to lift it without squeezing the bar. I played a short session, using it last night at a benefit gospel sing. It worked very well.
If you are interested, I'll take a picture and send it to you.

------------------
www.phelpscountychoppers.com/steelguitar