The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What should I do with these tuning machines?
Matthew Walton

Fort Worth, Texas
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2019 7:56 pm    

Hi all, while cleaning/rebuilding my PSG, I noticed that my tuning machines have been slowly self-destructing over the past 38 years.

Should I do anything to these? Should I hit the rivets back closed with a... rivet closing chisel/punch? Should I do anything to the grease inside or just leave it be?

Most of my cleaning process has been removing the old gross grease from the mechanisms and re-lubing with a Teflon-based lubricant, so now I'm mildly tempted to do that here. That said, I think it wouldn't take too much convincing to leave it well enough alone.

Whatever I do, my priority is to not end up worse than when I started; i.e. I don't want to hit one of those rivet posts wrong, make it blow up, and now they really won't stay closed. I do have friends who could help me if the best course of action is pretty involved.

Thanks!

1981 MSA "The Universal" 9/5 | 2009 MSA S-12 SuperSlide | Peavey Nashville 112

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2019 9:12 pm     Look Up Grover Tuners on the Internet.

Send them to Grover and they will replace them for the price of postage. I had some I tried to repair myself, messed them up, and they replaced them anyway.

Matthew Walton

Fort Worth, Texas
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2019 10:02 am    

Interesting, thanks!

I'm slowly growing attached to them; I see folks on eBay and Reverb trying to sell sets of the Grover "star" tuners for $300 each. No sign of success for them, but it's enough to make me value them a little more than when I started. Rolling Eyes

I'm going to email them and see if they can rebuild them. I suspect they won't, but I've been pleasantly surprised before.

Matthew Walton

Fort Worth, Texas
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2019 7:46 pm    

No dice on factory rebuild—can’t say I’m surprised. Apparently they retooled in 1983 and everything is metric now.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2019 8:29 pm     What should I do with these tuning machines.

I was going to warn you. They went to metric some time ago. I ordered a new set of Grover tuners for my July 1974 S10 MSA, About 4 years ago
I removed the strings, Now a 20 minute job, WRONG. The original tuners were .375/3/8. The new ones were metric. I had to remove the tuner bars from the steel, Drill all 10 holes to 25/64 so the new tuners would fit.
Then when I went to put MSA's lock screws in, The heads on the screws would not clear the tuner gear housing. Had to chuck them in a lathe and grind them down with a dremel tool with grinder stone.

Took a lot more time than planned.
Good Luck on this project.

Matthew Walton

Fort Worth, Texas
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2019 9:33 pm    

Yikes! Sounds like I’ll be sticking with these tuners one way or another!

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2019 7:25 am    

I would think you could find some replacements at
www.stewmac.com