The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  "Piggy Back" Fender Steel Kings
Sam Lewis

Conway, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2019 2:59 pm    

Just finished a fun project converting FSK's to Piggy-Back cabinets. The combined weight (25lbs and 21lbs) is less than the original FSK's Thought I would call on my forum mates to help me put a price on them. I would like to get my money back - the labor was fun (when you are old and looking for something to do) The amps are in excellent shape and sounds like a FSK. Both speakers are SICA. Chime in, guys and gals, and help me.

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2019 8:06 pm    

Those look great, Sam!

Sam Lewis

Conway, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2019 11:27 pm     "Piggy Back" Fender Steel Kings

Thanks, Ed, I appreciate that. I changed the first FSK that I owned a long time ago and I am still using it. Bought these from Frank Raines (super nice guy) just to have a "keep busy" project.

gary pierce

Rossville TN
Post  Posted 20 May 2019 4:28 am    

Very nice Sam, they look great.

Sam Lewis

Conway, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2019 5:03 am     "Piggy Back" Fender Steel Kings

Thanks, Gary, I really do appreciate it. They are along
way from being perfect but I tried.

Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2019 7:21 am    

Sam, where did you find the square corner protectors?
I have a 60's amp that the edges aren't radiused that I recovered, but I never found any corner protectors for it.

Sam Lewis

Conway, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2019 12:32 pm     "Piggy Back" Fender Steel Kings

Bill, Amazon.com has all kinds.

Dennis Brion

Atwater, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2019 12:43 pm    

Nobody has contributed to the price question, how much are they?

Sam Lewis

Conway, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2019 3:33 pm     Suggested Price

Dennis, I would appreciate your input. I am thinking about $450.00 each plus shipping. That would meet the cost of the amps the material, the hardware, and about 10 cents an hour for the labor. What say you?

Dennis Brion

Atwater, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2019 3:41 pm    

Sam that sounds like a very reasonable price to me, there is a steel king on ebay for $345 if you want to lug it around. Yours look sweet and I am going to check my local pawn shops this week...lol. I would be interested but just spent $400 fixing my steel and a lap steel, and bought a resonator while things were being fixed, so the little woman would not take kindly to another purchase this soon!

Sam Lewis

Conway, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2019 8:33 am     "Piggy Back" Fender Steel Kings - $395.00

Dennis, thanks for your input. I'm going to $395.00 and if that doesn't do it, off the come. Based on what I've seen on the forum, the speakers and cabinet are worth about $200.00 so we'll see how it goes.

Barry Yasika

Bethlehem, Pa.
Post  Posted 21 May 2019 3:46 pm     Great Job

You did a great job and I love the western tooled leather look. Since it's not visible, I thought I'd ask how you joined the corners. Did you dove tail them and glue or screw them together. Inside corner fasteners? Just curious how you did that.

Great price too by the way, when you consider guys are selling speaker cabinets alone for 400 bucks or so.

Sam Lewis

Conway, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2019 6:32 pm     "Piggy Back" Fender Steel Kings

Barry, thanks for asking. They are glued then fastened together with 2.5 inch screws then double glued with .75 inch glue blocks to reinforce the joining.

Barry Yasika

Bethlehem, Pa.
Post  Posted 21 May 2019 8:22 pm     Great Job

Thanks Sam, OK last question or two. Did you use plank wood or a cabinet type plywood? I've thought about doing what you did to a Nashville 400. All I'd really need to make is the cabinet for the head, you can make a pretty nice speaker cabinet out of the original 400 cabinet. I just take out the head then take off the back panel that covered the amp head and screw it down on the front to cover the empty slot the amp was in, then take the Peavey sign and screw it on to that panel and it looks pretty good believe it or not.

Have you ever given thought about making a Nashville 400 head cabinet kit that just needs the head to be put in? I don't know for sure but there's probably a lot of guys out there like me who are tired of lugging one of those things around. Let me know if you'd consider something like that. I would definitely be interested. Thanks for getting back to me as well.

Sam Lewis

Conway, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2019 5:39 am     Questions

Barry, I use Grade A pine for the cabinets -strong and light weight. I'm still playing thru the first one I built about 10 years ago and no problems.

I've never thought about building a cabinet for an other type amp - I'm sure it could be done but I would have to see the head and know the exact positions of the screws that hold it in place - the tricky part.

Sam Lewis

Conway, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2019 5:23 am     Reduced Price

Dropping the price to $350.00 and then they come off.

Dennis Brion

Atwater, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2019 8:14 am    

Sam, that is definitely a great price now, don't believe they will last long at that price!

Sam Lewis

Conway, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2019 1:28 pm     "Piggy Back" Fender Steel Kings

Thank you, Dennis. I'll wait a little while and see. If they go, fine, and if they stay, that's fine, too. The amps eat very little.

Tony Edwards

Six Mile, South Carolina
Post  Posted 24 May 2019 7:11 am     fender steel kings

Sam

Would you separate the head from the cab and just sell the head only? And if so, how much will it be including shipping to 29682? I have plenty of speaker cabs. The steel king is a great sounding amp.

Tony
CLR Custom SD10 Pedal Steel; Telonics 500-B Combo w/ TT 15"; Hilton Low Profile VP; Telonics X-10 Pup; Frenchy's Steel Mill Strings; George L's Cables; BJS Tone Bar; Hoffmeyer Picks. This combination produces a Heavenly tone! Psalm 33:2 "Praise the Lord with...an instrument of ten strings."
"Listen and silent are spelled with the same letters!"

Sam Lewis

Conway, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2019 10:10 pm     Amp head

Tony, thanks. I sent you a PM

Sam Lewis

Conway, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2019 7:07 pm     Shut It Down

BoB, PLEASE SHUT IT DOWN

Thanks

Sam Lewis

Conway, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2019 4:04 pm     Close it up.

There must be a reason for this post not being closed yet so I'll send it to the top once more. To help, I'll pay half of the shipping. Your share should be about 35 -40 dollars. This is it.

Sam Lewis

Conway, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2019 10:02 pm     One half of shipping paif

See above.