The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Problem with Jeff Newman's "Just Play The Melody'
Greg Thompson

Taumarunui, New Zealand
Post  Posted 21 May 2019 10:33 pm    

Help please. I have the above course of Jeff's ( one of many I have). Working my way through learning Scales and doing okay 'monkey see monkey do". However Jeff does not print/write the actual notes above the tab. Very frustrating as I want to know what notes I am playing.
Where do I find a complete reference list of E9th scale notes. For example: C scale on fret 8 strings 2 and 6 with the B pedal in???. And in his C scale he uses 8 and 5 on 6 open. I always thought this was a Bb. but in a C scale?? If I could reference what B pedal creates would be neat. Got D/E lever and A+F sorted. Just the gaps I am trying to fill in so i know what notes I am actually playing - Thanks in advance.

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 22 May 2019 4:12 am    

Maybe this will help.
http://www.simplifyingtheory.com/music-scales/

At fret 8---string 8 open = C, string 7 open = D, string 6 open = E, string 6, B pedal = F, string 5 open = G, string 5, A pedal = A, string 2 open = B, string 4 open = C

Greg Thompson

Taumarunui, New Zealand
Post  Posted 22 May 2019 4:41 am    

Thanks for the response. No, not quite. It's the B pedal function on its own that I am trying to get my head around.

Plus, 8 and 5 on six open is a Bb. I can't figure how it relates to the C scale unless it creates another note as well?

Would have been able to get my head around it if Jeff had put notes above the tab. His depth of music theory was way out there, unlike mine.

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 22 May 2019 5:50 am    

8th string on fret 6 is a Bb note, which is a flatted 7th in C, also the same note as string 9 at the 8th fret. 5th string on fret 6 is F note.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 22 May 2019 5:55 am    

I don't think his theoretical knowledge was extraordinary, but because notation is of so little use on pedal steel, his musical mechanics were subsumed into rules of thumb that make sense in a practical situation.

Maybe that Bb is a mistake and the 8th string should be lowered to A.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2019 6:07 am     Steel Sidekick

If your digital device is Apple, this is an excellent free app for referencing all notes at any fret with any pedal/lever combinations (including impossible ones) in any key. Designed by fellow forumite John Sohn.
https://appadvice.com/app/steel-sidekick/802758051

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 22 May 2019 6:30 am    

B pedal raises the 3rd of the scale to a 4. Interval numbers are MUCH better to reference scale degrees on PSG than notes,,,IMHO!!!!!! Talk numbers,,,not notes,,,or at least that's what the Nashville cats do,,,LOL!!!!

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2019 7:35 am    

Play w a tuner inline- that might take the mystery out of it.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2019 7:38 am    

The Boss TU-2 will display the name of the note you are playing.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2019 8:22 am    

Anywhere you are on string 3 or 6, the B pedal always raises the pitch a half tone. If you learn the notes on either one of those strings, you’ll always know the B pedal adds a half step.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2019 9:29 am    

Hope This Helps;

Bob Ricker

Nashville Tn
Post  Posted 22 May 2019 1:53 pm    

I don't have the course but are you sure he is playing a scale or just giving examples to be melodical with in a key?
With suspended chords, relative minors, possible chord replacement?

Just guessing but if it were straight out 2 or 3 note grip scales, Jeff would have it correct.

Greg Thompson

Taumarunui, New Zealand
Post  Posted 22 May 2019 2:06 pm    

Thanks a bunch guys. Jim, I like the idea of a tuner inline. And Greg, thank you for Dick Meis reference sheets.

I have been working through what the ole master said to do (Jeff). I then thought I will write the notes in myself, that's where the problem started. My logic is that playing by ear, which I think Jeff was intending is okay in part. However I like to know what notes I am playing for future reference. Don't want to play mystery notes for the hell of it. Hope you follow my drift.

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2019 3:51 pm    

Paul Franklin Blog: Thinking In Intervals

Greg Thompson

Taumarunui, New Zealand
Post  Posted 22 May 2019 4:42 pm    

Thanks for the contributions so far. Maybe if I simplify my queries.

In Jeff's "Play The Melody" (page 5). He shows a melody group as part of of a Route 2 using 3 and 5 strings C Major scale as follows. 3A and B on 3/5 slide to 6 3/5 open then to 8 3/5 open. My question what note is happening on fret 6? Second bar he uses 8 A&B slide 6A then 8 open, what note is this 6A ( I've got G here)?

Second question: His first melody group for C Major scale (page 2) He uses strings 5 and 8 (as Route 1) 8A (F)strings 5/8 then he goes to strings 6/2 with the B pedal in, then to a C on 8 strings 4/6. What note is the middle (2nd) one 8B?

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2019 5:48 pm    

Get the Steel Sidekick app. It can be set up to show note names or intervals. The learning curve on it is very short and it will save you hours of writing stuff out. Here’s a screen shot:

Harry Dove

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2019 5:54 pm    

Based on what you posted, on the sixth fret strings 5 and 3 would be D and F. That would be a Dm interval, the second note on the C scale. When he uses the A pedal on fret 6 the F is raised to G, so you have D and G, part of the G chord or the fifth note of the C scale.

In the second example he is playing an F on the sixth string and a B on the second string. That would be a B flat 5 or B diminished which is what would be built on the 7th note of the C scale.

Some of these can seem strange because you are only playing an interval. You mention the Bb which would be the flatted 7th note of a C chord, or C7 chord. All of the notes get used with the C scale depending on what chord you are playing over. Don't let the no sharps or flats throw you.

Years ago I made a word file table showing the E9 fretboard. That works well for a quick glance reference. I tried copying and pasting it here but it gets completely altered and is therefore unusable.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2019 6:10 pm    

I darkened and enlarged the print of the notes to strings but had to put it in a PDF file. I emailed it to you Greg.

Greg Thompson

Taumarunui, New Zealand
Post  Posted 22 May 2019 6:15 pm    

You are a gentleman and scholar -thanks.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 22 May 2019 6:32 pm    

Greg,
I took a weekend seminar with Jeff Newman when I started playing and was also sorta shocked by all the wrong notes in his scales. I realized then that I needed to avoid the idiomatic country lick based method of learning how to play if I was going to function in the musical world outside of country. He was the best at getting you up and running and his contribution to pedalsteel was massive and unprecedented. But like all methods of teaching be it Jazz or Classical or anything you take what you need and don't get hung up in any systems limitations.

Feel free to get in touch and I'll show you some basic diatonic approaches that might help you understand where the notes are.

Bob Ricker

Nashville Tn
Post  Posted 23 May 2019 2:54 am    

Could be trying to show;
1=C
2=D minor
3=E minor
4=F
5=G
6=A minor
7= B dim

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 23 May 2019 4:00 am    

Jeff Newman was writing from the point of view of a session player getting by, where playing by ear is essential. It's no use asking the singer "Say, is that a B flat?" because they won't know.

I am finding after a few years at this that if I just do what courses and tabs tell me, then the notes gradually fall into place. Unless you have special mental powers, trying to name the entire fretboard with all the changes in one go is a non-starter.

Greg Thompson

Taumarunui, New Zealand
Post  Posted 23 May 2019 4:31 am    

Agree with that. Just want an answer to a couple of notes, I can't figure what they are.

One: 3 and 5 on fret 6 can't be Bb as we know it. It has to be called something else in a C Major scale.What is this note?

Two: 3 and 5 on fret 6 with the A pedal in what is this note? C Major scale

Three: 6 and 2 on 8 with the B pedal in. What is this note. Same C scale

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 23 May 2019 5:13 am    

Greg, here are the three situations you describe.

1. is on the Bb fret, but the Bb itself is absent leaving two notes in the scale of C.

2. is an open fifth containing C scale notes.

3. is an augmented 4th representing a dominant 7th.

Hope that helps.

Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2019 5:39 am    

Do you have a tuner hooked up? It’s been pretty handy for telling me what note I’m playing.

I am a super newb but it seems extremely helpful to parce through this stuff on my own, doing the math as I go.