The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Best multi-effect under $300?
Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 22 May 2019 9:40 pm    

b0b wrote:
Godfrey Arthur wrote:
For multi-fx units, I'd do a Line 6 POD first version.

I tried the Pod 2.0 and found that the later Pod XT was better at producing sounds that I like. Was 2.0 a step backwards from the original?

The POD is AMP FARM which was originally a Pro Tools plugin and they slapped the software in a bean shaped box.

If you're talking the later version of the 2.0, the sounds are different as the EPROM is different from the original 2.0

So many ways to use this unit. The AIR/DIRECT switch on/off gets a different sound. There are 32 amp models, 16 at a time if you press the TAP TEMPO button to access the next set of 16.

Depends
on how the POD is tweaked and what it's running into.

Since you can't bypass the amp modeling on this unit:

•The most transparent model on the Pod is the "Tube Preamp" model. It is designed to be flat and uncolored, and does not have any cabinet modeling. Set your bass, mids, and treble to 12 o'clock for a "flat" setting.

•Cabinet Tuning:

•In cabinet select mode, simply hold the "TAP" button and turn the effect knob to scroll through different cabinet sounds.

•Cabinet Select:

•Your POD can be tuned for optimal performance with a variety of systems when the A.I.R. switch is set to its AMP position. By default, your POD expects to be plugged in before an open-backed cabinet. If you want to plug into something else, you'll want to change the Cabinet Tuning Mode.

To do this:

•Hold the Save button while powering up your POD.
The POD's display will show a letter for one of the Cabinet Tuning Modes; press the Up and Down arrows to pick the mode, then press Save.

Use Mode (A-D) when POD is (A-D) & your speaker cabs are (A-D)

A) feeding power amp closed back (ideal for 4x12 cab)
B) feeding power amp open back (ideal for 1x12 cab)
C) (default) in front of combo/head open back (ideal for 1x12 or 2x12 cab)
D) in front of combo/head closed back (ideal for 4x12 cab)

Here's a clip doing a shootout with a Kemper vs POD.

https://youtu.be/wsocXab3fKI

Perhaps for steel the XT gets you there faster, the 2.0 being more of a "retro low bit" (16 bits?) device with much deep menu attributes.

In the end it's how user friendly something is to the user.

I think as time goes by, the newer generations, not having experienced the start of analog electrified music, have a stylized approach to what sounds good and things tend to get digitalized as what sounds "good" to them, far from the original tones we, as "oldsters" grew up with during the 50's and 60's.

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2019 3:02 am    

Dan Beller-McKenna wrote:
I don't doubt that these devices have better sounding effects than the lowly Zoom multistomp. But you guys must be playing much loftier gigs than I am. The places I play, those nuances are long gone by the time my signal reaches the folks beyond the dance floor. I guess I'm your friend in low places.

I’m with you Dan.....I’m not playing the Grand Ole Opry anytime soon, so with the mud, the blood, and the beer joints, inexpensive Zoom gear cuts the mustard just fine....Jim

forrest klott

Grand Rapids Mi USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2019 4:03 am    

Another vote for the Digitech RP150.

Over the weekend I was able to get my Fox Vintage twin switched over to a head cab. We gave it a test run thru my buddy’s rig, he’s been using an RP150 for a while. The sound was sheer magic, true steel guitar Valhalla! Luckily he had another unit he was able to sell me, and I couldn’t be happier.

Skeeter

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 24 May 2019 5:26 am    

I am going to go along with Digitech too. I have used the RP155 for a number of years and am very happy with it. Excellent effects, easy to program via the computer,etc. I have 2 Rp155s, if they go bad, I would probably first look at Digitch's current offerings.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 May 2019 6:51 am    

Jim Cohen has some kinda Zoom box that sounded great,I asked him about it,Don't think it was very much money?
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 25 May 2019 4:14 am    

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=345381&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Andrew Roblin

Various places
Post  Posted 27 May 2019 5:38 am    

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Kristen Bruno

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2019 6:38 pm    

Check out the YouTube on the various multi-effects and get one that you think you will like. Have fun with it. Within a year you will decide that using individual pedals , though more costly, will sound better. After another year, when you want to "take less stuff out to play", put away your pedals and take out the multi effects unit again. Then after a year, you will decide that you really want the signature effects of those individual effects that you were using. Take those out and use them again instead of the multi-effects unit. Do I need to continue?

K

Andrew Roblin

Various places
Post  Posted 29 May 2019 6:03 am    

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 29 May 2019 9:31 am    

Kristen hit the nail on the head.
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 29 May 2019 4:43 pm    

I've been looking at the line6 Helix stomp, currently around $500 used but will come downin price as more used are available. Also the eventide H9's and Strymon mobius.

Besides pure tone (and probably in that price bucket all the candidates have single effects that aren't great), there's other things you want to consider. Durability, ease of user interface/if you have to edit on your laptop vs on the stompbox directly, switching between multiple chains of effects, external effect loops to substitute your favorite boost/overdrive pedal etc.

Good places to read reviews before you head to a gigantic guitar retailer are sites like soundonSound, musicRadar. Also https://www.sweetwater.com/c633--Multi_effects_Pedals?params=eyJmYWNldCI6eyJQcmljZSBSYW5nZSI6WyI2Il19fQ