The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Zum Encore
John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 20 May 2019 8:29 am    

Just put my order in for a new Encore. Played Harvey Lamb’s Encore at my jam last nite and hammered the hell out of it. It actually plays better than my D10 Hybrid. A little strange getting used to a small S10 guitar, yer humbucker pickup was the bomb. Was able to Floor the volume pedal in a very hummy room. Think I’ll be very happy with the new guitar.

Michael Sheehan

Everett, Washington, USA - Heading back to Florida 2021
Post  Posted 20 May 2019 9:33 am    

Everyone seems to love these guitars! I can’t wait to get mine 😊👍

Colin Swinney

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2019 9:50 am    

How long is the wait once you order?

Brian Scott

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2019 1:04 pm    

I emailed Doug in January this year and he told be he would put me in line and let me know when he would start on my Encore build. I think it was early March when he started and I had it by mid March. His communication was excellent. He is always a little backed up but actually was able to start mine a little sooner than I wss told after the first consult with him. Totally worth the wait!

Michael Sheehan

Post  Posted 20 May 2019 1:07 pm    

I was added to Doug’s list in May; Doug thinks late July for guitar, so not a terrible wait. Haven’t yet discussed particulars, but some things are worth the wait 😀

Colin Swinney

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2019 1:56 pm    

Good to know, thanks guys

Pookie Anselmi

Galliano, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2019 3:22 am    

Good to see him catching up with his orders. When I ordered mine two years ago, I ordered it in April and didn't get it until the following February. Still was worth the wait.

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2019 5:19 am    

The only way I'm staying somewhat caught up on orders is by limiting the amount I take. It's a poor way to have to operate but I can't figure out a better way. You can put on some more help and get more instruments out the door but you can't end up with any more money in your pocket, I've tried it that way too. I guess I could try working harder and longer but I don't really see that as a good alternative either!

Many thanks to all you nice people for the kind words.

Michael Sheehan

Post  Posted 21 May 2019 8:16 am    

I have zero complaints about the timeframe we discussed. I’m super excited and feel like it is an honor to get one of your guitars. 😊👍

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2019 2:07 pm    

Doug Earnest wrote:
...It's a poor way to have to operate but I can't figure out a better way.

Whatever way you do it, it works real well! Having been a one-man business almost all my working life, I totally understand the problems. The times I had other people working for me, it was just more work for the same money (except that they got paid, too).

--Al Evans
...who is now ever-so-happily retired....

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2019 7:37 am    

I've now had my Encore for a few months and the longer I play it the more I love it. Plays and stays in tune, plays easily but firm and secure, sounds great. I'm preparing for a run of the Always, Patsy Cline show (First time for me), and this is the steel I'm going to use. Great product at a great price, and Doug was a pleasure to deal with.

Two thumbs up!

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2019 2:31 pm    

Hey Doug, there is a side-benefit for your methods, and the need to wait a few months to get your guitars - that means, for the ones who are new, and decide pedal steel guitar is just too durn hard (perhaps the sensible ones?), they find their barely used Encore of Stage One can be sold for about what they paid for it. And, of course, there is no concerns about quality control. So I'd say keep on keepin' on! But give yourself a vacation every now and then! And if you ever develop the D-10 Encore, please put me first in line!

Doug

Devon Teran

Kansas City
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2019 7:48 am    

I'm pretty stoked. Ordered one this winter and hopefully it'll be finished in the next few weeks. I can't wait to play it. My current and first steel is an old Dekley that had a life before me and is kind of like an old truck. I love it, but something always needs fixed.

The new finish he's working on looks amazing.

Lyle Clary

Decatur, Illinois, KC9VCB
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2019 9:07 am    

Still in love with mine after all these years. Five I think, and the humbucker PUP is great as well as the Stage One volume control. Thanks Doug

Michael Sheehan

Post  Posted 28 Jun 2019 10:12 am    

Haven't heard from Doug just yet, but trying to get ready for the choices I will need to make, first and foremost being the choice of pickup: Tru-tone or Humbucker?

I am not a gigging musician with a need to cut through and stand out in a band, and will likely be a "bedroom" player for years to come as I learn, maybe recording into a DAW and trying to get better by listening to myself.

Any recommendations from those of you who are familiar with these pickup choices for this guitar?

I'm sure I'll take his volume pedal as well, and any arm-rest option. The standard Emmons setup is what I'm looking at also.

I'll decide color on the fly when I know what Doug has available.

Thanks for the input!

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2019 2:48 pm    

Michael:

I have one of the earliest Encores (#008). It's black with 3+5. (I see from my records that my Encore was delivered in December, 2012.)

When I ordered it I didn't specify the detachable arm-rest. As I normally play a D-10 I eventually regretted that and had Doug send me the item which was easy to fit. I'm more comfortable now.

I believe my pick-up is the True-Tone - it's perfect! I bought one of Doug's volume-pedals as a stand-by (they're very light and easy to stow in my seat) and I've often found myself using that pedal; it, too, is super-reliable. It's a great price, too.

Last edited by Roger Rettig on 2 Jul 2019 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total

Michael Sheehan

Post  Posted 28 Jun 2019 5:57 pm    

Thank you, Roger!

Incidentally, we are going to be building a home in Port Charlotte, not too far from where you are in Naples. Retiring in two years Smile

John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2019 8:43 am    

Mike, if you’re going to be playing at home mostly, I would get the hum bucker PU as it won’t pick up any extraneous noises in your house or recording setup. The tone is great on either PU but playing at home you’ll be more sensitive to those sounds you won’t want to hear.

Michael Sheehan

Post  Posted 1 Jul 2019 8:45 am    

John Lacey wrote:
Mike, if you’re going to be playing at home mostly, I would get the hum bucker PU as it won’t pick up any extraneous noises in your house or recording setup. The tone is great on either PU but playing at home you’ll be more sensitive to those sounds you won’t want to hear.

Thanks, John - sounds like good advice. As a beginner, I'm sure I'll make enough "extraneous" noises all on my own Laughing

Mark McCornack

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2019 10:51 am    

...and all along I thought those extraneous noises were part of the charm of the instrument. Laughing Laughing

Tom Wilson

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2019 2:58 pm    

Michael Sheehan wrote:
Thank you, Roger!

Incidentally, we are going to be building a home in Port Charlotte, not too far from where you are in Naples. Retiring in two years Smile

Another coincidence, we are moving to Port Charlotte. My wife is already there. She took a job at Bayfront Hospital. I am in Mobile Al waiting on furniture to come from San Francisco

Michael Sheehan

Post  Posted 1 Jul 2019 3:48 pm    

Tom Wilson wrote:
Michael Sheehan wrote:
Thank you, Roger!

Another coincidence, we are moving to Port Charlotte. My wife is already there. She took a job at Bayfront Hospital. I am in Mobile Al waiting on furniture to come from San Francisco

We will be neighbors then!

James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2019 10:58 am    

Hi Michael,
Did you get your guitar and how is it going?

JAMES TAYLOTR

Eric Philippsen

Central Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2019 11:31 am    

I ordered an Encore several months ago and received it three days ago. I went with the dark rosewood mica, Tru-tone, and paid the small extra for the detachable back pad. (Turns our I probably won’t use the pad but that’s ok. It’s nice to have and stores right in the case. )

Set it up and ran it thru the paces. Sounds good! Plays smooth, extremely nice workmanship, heavy-duty case, a “standard” copedant with 5 (!) knee levers that cover everything, and those knee levers move smooth and solid. Plus it holds its tune. Yep, it’s a keeper.

Now I see and hear what the praise is all about for this steel and I now know why used ones sell so fast. I definitely would have no problem gigging with this.

Michael Sheehan

Post  Posted 3 Nov 2019 12:38 pm    

James Taylor wrote:
Hi Michael,
Did you get your guitar and how is it going?

JAMES TAYLOTR

I got my guitar and I LOVE it. I'm learning so much. I am spending more time in the seat and less time here on the board. It's really coming together. Still not ready for prime time, but I can't believe I waited this long to take up this instrument.

Very Happy