The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Best multi-effect under $300?
Andrew Roblin

Various places
Post  Posted 16 May 2019 4:56 am    

I don't want to spend $650 for a Benado Steel Dream or $450 for a Line 6 Pod HD.

But I'd like to have good-sounding distortion, delay, compression, phase shifting etc.

What's the best unit--new or used--under $300?

Last edited by Andrew Roblin on 16 May 2019 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2019 5:17 am     Re: Best multi-effect under $300?

Andrew Roblin wrote:
I don't want to spend $650 for a Benado Steel Dream or $450 for a Line 7 Pod HD.

But I'd like to have good-sounding distortion, delay, compression, phase shifting etc.

What's the best unit--new or used--under $300?

I don't know about "best", but the Boss GT-1 has got some good sounds in it and only costs about $200.

--Al Evans

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 16 May 2019 6:49 am    

Digitech RP360, $170.00

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2019 6:59 am    

Lexicon has some good units. Very Happy
Erv

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 16 May 2019 7:23 am    

Zoom MS-50G

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MS50G--zoom-ms-50g-multistomp-multi-effects-pedal

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2019 7:28 am    

I like my Line 6 Pod XT. They're discontinued, but they are very rugged for stage use and you can find them used for under $100.

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2019 7:52 am    

Digitech RP150 or RP 155 are worth looking into. They have several effects, amp and cabinet simulators, and Lexicon reverbs. They come with 50 factory presets and 50 customizable presets. They are discontinued, but Digitech still had a web page about them. You might be able to find one cheaply priced. Heck, I might have to get mine out and play with it again.

Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2019 8:53 am    

If you don't mind using 2 pedals, Zoom MS-70CDR has good reverbs and delays, and Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive has good clean boost and overdrive. Plus, the Zoom does some other things (chorus, tuner, EQ, tremolo).

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 17 May 2019 9:21 am    

For 50 bucks more there's the TC Electronics Nova System. Used for about $200
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NovaSystem--tc-electronic-nova-system-analog-multi-effects-floor-processor
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2019 9:32 am    

Avid Eleven Rack has some good effects. You can just bypass the amp modeling section. They're not made anymore, so you can get them pretty cheap now.

Michael Hartz

Decorah, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2019 7:34 pm    

Digitech RP360 sounds amazing and is pretty easy to program.. I’ve got one in excellent condition that I no longer use since I got my Kemper Profiler that I would make a sweet deal on.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 18 May 2019 1:48 am    

The Eleven rack had issues during some batch builds that one of the channels would stop working so all you'd get was one side in a stereo patch. And there is no fix.

So if you go Avid Eleven Rack, make note of this.

The reason they are cheap is because many bought them to avail of the Pro Tools bundle and sold the rack unit after getting the software.

For multi-fx units, I'd do a Line 6 POD first version.

There's enough tone tweakage to get somewhere and there's no diving through menus as it's basically all knobs in plain sight.

If you want to use a PC to tweak internally, that's doable too.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2019 2:00 am    

Another vote for the Zoom MS-50G.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2019 8:05 am    

Godfrey Arthur wrote:
For multi-fx units, I'd do a Line 6 POD first version.

I tried the Pod 2.0 and found that the later Pod XT was better at producing sounds that I like. Was 2.0 a step backwards from the original?

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 20 May 2019 4:53 am    

I recently bought a Nux Cerberus for a guitar fly gig in St. Lucia. Cost me $268.00 new shipped. I haven’t tried it with steel yet but I should!

Several flavors of reverb, delay and modulation effects. Separate drive and distortion modules. Presets. Some other cool features and routing options. Compact.

No compressor though, but a lot of bang for the buck and sounds quite good.

http://www.nuxefx.com/content-72-272-1.html

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2019 6:47 am    

I've been down the route of multi-FX units, individual stompboxes, and all, several times. I'm currently back to a small pedal board and several stompboxes, I like being able to choose exactly which effect to use. I've found most multi units a bit fiddly to tweak. I've used ART early unit recommended by Jeff Newman, Peavey Profex II with Newman presets, Zoom MS-50G. The Zoom was the most fiddly of all, my mind doesn't process like it wants me to, and its FX aren't all that great IMHO.

I'm currently auditioning the Gearbox Audio Freeway compressor and really liking it, I have it on a pretty subtle setting, but it gives me much more sustain in a nice subtle way without any noise. Blend knob helps a lot. They were on a great sale on Reverb.com recently, and I grabbed the last one at that price. Highly recommended. It's for me an always-on gizmo.

https://www.gearboxaudio.com

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2019 12:59 pm    

meh,, tried a bunch of them, and they are all awful... Digital multi units just sound sterile to me no matter how hard I try to like them... Personally, to my ears, analog effects always sounded warmer, more musical, more "organic"..
If i were still playing live, I would try the TC Electronics Nova system.. Analog effects, digitally controlled, and many consider it the best sounding multi on the market today.. User interface not well thought out, poor manual, but all the pro and amateur reviews say once dialed in, there nothing out there to beat it... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2019 1:17 pm    

I don't doubt that these devices have better sounding effects than the lowly Zoom multistomp. But you guys must be playing much loftier gigs than I am. The places I play, those nuances are long gone by the time my signal reaches the folks beyond the dance floor. I guess I'm your friend in low places.

Brad Richard

Chisago City, Minnesota
Post  Posted 20 May 2019 3:26 pm    

I picked up a used Zoom G1Xon. I've used many pedals, but have always liked Zoom effects. This one kind of resembles a kid's toy, but I like it. Besides the usual amp sims, reverbs, etc. it has a nice Carbon Copy delay effect which I like and a volume pedal. I don't think I'll use many of the effects, but like the ones I am using. Plus there's a free program online you can download for editing that works quite well.

This unit probably isn't for the pro player, but for amateurs like me it does the job at a great price.

Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2019 7:05 pm     multieffect

Digitech RP360..Zoom G1on second choice..Digitech RP55 third
Music is good for the soul..playing it is even better! Gretsch6strLapSteel*PeaveyNashville400*HudsonSD-10*DigitechRP360*FenderChampion100*PeaveyKB300*Goodrich120*Behringerx1204*BehringerMini4*Mullen S10"Discovery"*Peavey Vegas400*Princeton112plus*SuperChampX2*SidekickReverb65*Rumble100*MarshallMG50DFX*Nashville112

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 22 May 2019 4:41 am    

Another vote for the Nux Cerberus. Has the option to the route the OD and distortion separately from the delay, reverb, and mods, just like the Benado. You can tweak the knobs in real time, or run multiple banks of presets and easily toggle between both. I found a usable rotary sound by blending the univibe and one of the three choruses.
Three types of delay and reverb. Phaser and boost. Tuner. Small footprint, and less than three bills. It's on my pedal board and has replaced six stomp boxes.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2019 6:57 am    

I'd love to see the look on Jake Hookers face when you step on the distortion/Delay switch and kick off Foxy Lady Tommy.

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 22 May 2019 6:29 pm    

Dick Wood wrote:
I'd love to see the look on Jake Hookers face when you step on the distortion/Delay switch and kick off Foxy Lady Tommy.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2019 7:02 pm    

Line 6 M9 is a good unit.

Tony

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2019 7:21 pm    

I like the Zoom MS50, and Ms100, but I use the older Zoom G3 the most, it's a little easier to use. All of these Zoom products sound great.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.