The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Rickenbacker Model G Deluxe Lap Steel......SOLD
Ben Michaels

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2019 12:00 pm    

Hello,

New to the forum although I have been picking up some great tips as a reader.

Would love to make a deal for/towards a 3x4 or 3x5 PSG.

Very used Rickenbacker Model G Deluxe lap steel. This thing has been played. I don't have the headstock cover or the horseshoe pickup that originally went with it. The case seems to be the original and still works. Pickup and pots work great. Tone and volume knobs are reversed from a traditional setup.

Various scratches from years of use along with some weird marks on the underside of the fretboard (pictured). Still has a fabric like cover on the back that keeps it from sliding off your knees. Pat No. 2089171.

Thanks!

Last edited by Ben Michaels on 29 May 2019 5:52 pm; edited 2 times in total

Ben Michaels

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2019 12:02 pm    

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2019 8:27 am     Horseshoe?

Ben: I’m not an expert on the 1950s Ricks, but—to the best of my knowledge—this guitar would have had a 1.25” horseshoe pickup. I believe the wings you’re referring to would have been the magnet that covered the windings and 6 pole pieces. Again, you might want advice from a builder like Rick Aiello or Todd Clinesmith... but it looks to me like someone pillaged the original horseshoe pickup. This would have been responsible for any vintage Rick sound it would have had. So, consult with a “real” expert—i’m more familiar with what the 30s/40s pickups look like. Because if what I suspect is the case, it will dramatically impact the value of the guitar.

Hope I’m wrong; however, if not—please, don’t shoot the messenger.

Best of luck!
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Ben Michaels

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2019 9:05 am    

Mark,

Thank you for the info. That makes sense now that I look at some others. I always assumed the wings were more of a handrest/cover and had no function with regards to sound. Based on that info I would be curious what a fair value would be on this?

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 19 May 2019 9:16 am    

The Rickenbacker pickup is essential equipment. The strings go through the magnetic field which adds richness and harmonics. I'm not sure what the current value is but I would add a Lolar or Clinesmith horseshoe before putting it on the market to maximize its value. Or you can reduce the price and the next owner will likely do that.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 19 May 2019 9:31 am    

I don't think I've seen Silver Hawaiian or a G Deluxe go for more than around $1100 in EXCELLENT, original condition, cosmetically (super shiny and unscratched) and functionally.
Lollar lists $600 for a horseshoe.
With the cosmetics and missing original parts, you get an idea of where you need to price this.

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2019 9:31 am     As is?

Andy is correct: the horseshoe is the thing. As is, it’s really a parts guitar (worth $200-$300, roughly). Again, Andy’s advice: the Clinesmith horseshoe is wonderful: I have one on my Clinesmith cast aluminum steel. Not sure what they go for, but email him at Clinesmithinstruments.com

The Model G is sought after by collectors because of its high-end beauty. I’ve never heard anyone remark that they sound anything close to the Bakelite models. In top condition, these can be had from between $1000–$1500.
Hope this info helps.

Again, sorry to have been the bearer of bad news.
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Ben Michaels

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2019 10:14 am    

Thanks for all the info! I actually prefer bakelites after playing this one and always thought I must be crazy. With the aforementioned information.....open to offers on this with the caveat that the buyer is going to need to replace the pickup.

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2019 10:32 am     Re-list

I’m sad to say it, but you’re probably gonna be best off selling it for parts. The Rick stamped sheet metal bodies like this one don’t sound that great. Although the chrome plating probably helped a bit. Still, as I mentioned above, the value in these is purely aesthetic—- clean models are quite pretty. I had a 1939 Silver Hawaiian for a while I sold here on the Forum (although the pre-war models have the preferred 1.5” horseshoe).

Maybe someone out there will buy it. Just re-list “As is or for parts” and see what gives.,

Good luck!

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2019 10:37 am    

The pickup that's on it looks like a Gretsch (DeArmond) Dynasonic which probably has a little collector value itself. With the case, I'm thinking $250-$350 would be realistic with full disclosure.

David Venzke

SE Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2019 7:34 pm    

sent you a PM

Ben Michaels

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2019 8:11 am    

400.00 shipped to continental US. Last chance before it is parted out on eBay.

Ben Michaels

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2019 7:55 am    

Ben Michaels

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2019 5:52 pm    

sold....donation sent