The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New guitar recommendations
Kim Cravens

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2019 8:05 pm    

Nice video Memphislim!

That was very helpful. Excellent craftsmanship on those guitars.

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2019 8:55 pm     Re: Tone

Kim Cravens wrote:

Whenever I do a web search, the brand that seems to appear a lot is the Zum Encore. The Stageonesteelguitars website has limited info but Doug has quickly responded to my inquiry. Can anyone elaborate on what makes this guitar so popular?

Have the mechanics been standardized over the last 20 years other than the use of keyless tuners?

The Stage One and Zum Encore are probably the least expensive new PSGs on the market. They both sound great and play wonderfully... but it's the very reasonable price that is the most important selling point. The Stage One, especially, is an excellent guitar for beginners who want a fully professional instrument -- but who aren't yet addicted to steel, so they aren't willing to spend twice as much for a higher-end guitar. You can't change the copedent on the Stage One, but you can on the Encore, which costs a little more. The Stage One has a pull-release changer (an earlier type of design) but some prefer the tone of that kind of setup.

These days, most PSGs have an all-pull changer which is what the Encore has.

The Stage One and Encore also make great 'fly date' guitars since they are small and light.

As for the mechanics and standardization, I would say yes, things have been fairly stable for a long while, with few innovations in changer design since the advent of the all-pull system. The mechanics and feel of most new guitars are pretty similar from brand to brand. I'm not up on what's going on over at Sierra -- but they may be the exception here.

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2019 7:53 am    

Larry Baker wrote:
Mullen Discovery.

^^^This

Greg Thompson

Taumarunui, New Zealand
Post  Posted 14 May 2019 2:07 pm    

What Tucker wrote Very Happy

James Quillian

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2019 8:09 am    

I have only played one pedal steel and that is my own, which is a Fessenden. I have often wondered how different guitars differ in things like the efficiency of of pedal and lever use. or, or how different guitars vary with issues like cabinet drop. The only thing I can say about my own guitar is that it sounds exactly the way I want it to. It was also much less expensive than what I had expected to pay.

If I was to try a different guitar, other things being equal, I would look for one where parts were a lot easier to get and where service from the manufacturer was better. One important question is, what exactly is it that makes one guitar better than another? What are the determining factors? Then, which guitars are better or worse in those areas?

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2019 8:39 am     Re: Tone

Kim Cravens wrote:
Thanks for all the replies.

I think you have it in a nutshell...I love the tone of the ShoBud but I want modern mechanics and light weight.

I will check out the manufacturers you've recommended. I have communicated with Fred Justice to visit his shop in the near future.

Whenever I do a web search, the brand that seems to appear a lot is the Zum Encore. The Stageonesteelguitars website has limited info but Doug has quickly responded to my inquiry. Can anyone elaborate on what makes this guitar so popular?

Have the mechanics been standardized over the last 20 years other than the use of keyless tuners?

If you want modern mechanics, but want the old school Sho bud sound, the closest you will come with be a Jackson.. Pricey, but they do sound like the original Sho Buds... All the other brands mentioned are great guitars, they are all excellent, but as far as tone, I have never heard anything that sounded so close to a 60's Bud as a Jackson... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Richard Alderson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2019 8:42 pm    

Everybody has some great replies here as usual. The one topic I don't see is how much are you willing to spend? That will determine a lot of your options. New SD-10 are mostly in the $2,700 - $4,200 range. Anything outside those ranges will get you significantly more, or significantly less.

Brian Scott

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2019 11:22 am    

Good point on the price range issue. For me, I decided on the Encore because I needed another guitar I could rely on to grab and go,have it made the way I needed with the Day setup that comes in well below 2K.I also had Doug install a 4th Franklin pedal. I emailed Doug in January to start the build and had it delivered in mid March. I immediately bonded with the Encore. It is loaded with great features like soft-feel stop for 1/2 step change and split tone option which are not on my other steel costing a lot more.