The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Behringer comparisons
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2019 2:34 pm    

Plug in your headphones for this excellent video comparing Beringer effects with the classic pedals they replicate.. https://youtu.be/ApJZa8yCMCQ

kevin ryan

San Marcos, California
Post  Posted 13 May 2019 3:27 pm    

Very, very interesting..Thanks

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2019 6:19 pm    

Great information, good for a quick trial run.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 16 May 2019 12:52 am    

well performance wise I have no issues with Behringer products, I have several.

When my GO TO DELAY died, ( Ibanez DE7) I bought this VD400 for $25 new, overnight delivery. I didn't want to go crazy on a search plus I had a gig the next day.

Does it work and sound ok ? Sure...

So whats the problem ?

The knobs are labeled wrong or make no sense, I thought it was defective when I first plugged it in. It was like living in a SCI FI movie !

So I said to myself ,"Self, whats the deal here , it works but it's backwards or something "

So I sat down and used what little brain power I had left and came to the natural conclusion, the labels on the knobs are messed up, not consistent with OTHER delays.

Here it is with the printed markings and my own markings. I used this for a few months with no issues until I purchased a premium delay.

Well worth $25 new . Its plastic so be aware .

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2019 5:21 am     Behringer comparisons

My experience with Behringer has been positive. I sold my Boss RV- 3 and had sellers remorse. For $39.00, I bought the Behringer DR-400 clone. I really couldn't tell any difference, but I didn't have the two together to compare. After getting my Wet Reverb, I sold the DR-400. I have recently added a DD-3, which I use very sparingly. With Trump's embargo on China electronics, prices will be going up pretty shortly on Behringer products.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2019 7:14 am    

I would not buy a Behringer product, no matter how good it sounded.
They are a reverse engineering company.
They take somebody else's product, take it apart and reproduce it with cheaper components and sell it for less money.
And of course, it's imported.
If you like doing business with a company like that, more power to you, but leave me out of the equation.
Whoa!
Erv

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2019 8:11 am    

You wouldn't believe how many steel guitar electronic accessories and amps are reverse engineered, even USA and German ones!

One of the hottest pedals Behringer has right now is the SF300 Super Fuzz Pedal. Out of stock most places and a great copy of the Univox super fuzz:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SF300--behringer-sf300-super-fuzz-pedal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2019 8:56 am    

That still doesn't make it right. Rolling Eyes
Erv

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 17 May 2019 1:21 am    

Behringer owns quite a few brands, including TC electronics IIRC.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2019 5:46 am    

https://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/tc-electronic-and-tc-helicon-acquired-by-behringer-owner-620555
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 17 May 2019 6:05 am    

Greg Cutshaw wrote:
You wouldn't believe how many steel guitar electronic accessories and amps are reverse engineered, even USA and German ones!

One of the hottest pedals Behringer has right now is the SF300 Super Fuzz Pedal. Out of stock most places and a great copy of the Univox super fuzz:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SF300--behringer-sf300-super-fuzz-pedal

I used to have a Univox Super Fuzz. Awesome pedal. I've been looking for one for a while. Might have to check out the Behringer.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 17 May 2019 6:16 am    

I understand Erv's point, and a part of me agrees with it.

However, switching sides.....
How many Tube Screamer clones are out there?
Or "almost" clones, where only a couple of relatively insignificant components are changed?

And what about all of the Strat copies, some of which are high end boutique models?

And......
There are a ton of other companies out there, mostly foreign, that make copies.
The main one that comes to mind is Joyo.

Back to the video.......
The one pedal that was not in the video, that I am interested in, is I believe the CC300.
It is supposedly a clone of the Boss Dimension C (or D?).
If memory serves me correctly, it is a stereo chorus that actually has a separate chorus circuit for each side (left and right).
Boss has recently reissued it as a Waza pedal.
The originals are stoopid expensive nowadays.
I believe that Behringer clones are way cheaper.

Super Fuzz: Those original big orange pedals are monsters.
BYOC (build your own clone) makes a kit, and it is VERY good.
I compared an original orange monster side by side with a BYOC once, and could not tell them apart.
I think that Voodoo Labs and Black Cat also made versions of it as well.

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 17 May 2019 6:46 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
I would not buy a Behringer product, no matter how good it sounded.
They are a reverse engineering company.
They take somebody else's product, take it apart and reproduce it with cheaper components and sell it for less money.
And of course, it's imported.
If you like doing business with a company like that, more power to you, but leave me out of the equation.
Whoa!
Erv

Erv, I agree in principle. Those circuits aren’t patented. If they were Roland would be suing. If we followed that logic, the only mass produced automobile would be made by Ford.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2019 7:08 am    

Dustin,
It wouldn't make any difference to those companies if the circuits were patented, they don't honor patents, copyrights, trademarks or anything of the sort.
If Ford did have any patents they would have expired many, many years ago. A patent cannot be renewed, it's only good for so many years.
Erv

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2019 9:03 am    

A patent is good for 20 years. After that, the invention becomes public domain.

I was surprised to learn that Behringer owns TC Electronics. TCE is generally respected for innovative, high quality gear. It's serves a different market. What about the Behringer mixers and PA speakers? Are they also "rip-offs"?

It seems to me that Behringer does have a competent R&D department, and that they make some good, stage-worthy (though probably not road-worthy) equipment. But most of their stomp boxes are junk that I wouldn't carry in my pack-a-seat.

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 17 May 2019 2:45 pm    

I’ve owned, and happily longer own, two Behringer mixers and one of their reverb pedals. All I can say isI ‘you get what you pay for’.

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 17 May 2019 4:40 pm    

The Behringer US600 (pitchshifter) is one example of a pedal they make that is a bit more flexible than the Boss equivalent.

Behringer has been going a little nuts lately with the synth clones. Some of which seem like they started as clones and then evolved into their own thing. I think it's cool that they are putting out things like a full size, analog, 808 drum machine for 300 bucks. No one else (including Roland) has done it, and used originals go for 4 grand now.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 17 May 2019 5:45 pm    

I have a Behringer acoustic guitar amp that I used when I had a dobro with pickup. It also has a second channel with a mic input. It runs circles around my Fishman Loudbox.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 May 2019 2:13 am    

Behringer is not the only "plastic" company. I've had several Zoom effects/effect processors over the years and they were in plastic cases too.

I have a Behringer clone of the RV3. I tried several RV3's when they were "hot" and never liked them. I like the Behringer clone. I keep it as a backup in my car in case my POD X3 would die on a job so I'll have reverb and delay.

I had a couple Behringer devices in my home recording studio that I recently sold in downsizing. An X-Touch control surface and an 8 channel headphone distribution amp. Both worked great.

There is a long Behringer thread on the gearslutz (recording) forum. It generally mirrors this thread except for the Behringer ADA8000 which gets good comments.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/37821-what-behringer-gear-does-not-suck.html

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 18 May 2019 8:43 am    

It seems Behringer has become the whipping boy for reverse engineering.

There's nothing new here. This has been going on for decades.

I know of at least one product from the 80s that has 4 or 5 different brand labels even though they are the same electronically.

Even so, many of the similar electronic devices all use the same components and some the same circuitry.

Hardly anything is completely engineered and built from the ground up these days. Many electronic designs are borrowed from other proven ones.

Look at the pedal steel industry as well. How many all pull guitars use the same mechanics and configuration that they took from someone else? No different...or the plethora of Tele® clones for heaven's sake.

It's no different than those solderless Geo. L's knock off plugs that you're trying to sell over there Erv.

Uli Behringer had some great ideas, then took the easier and more profitable road to chinese manufacture just like everybody else. I dunno why he's always singled out as the solo bad guy.

In my circle, there is Behringer all over the place...both in FOH gear, on the guitar, bass and keyboard backline and accessories departments. If they made steel friendly amps and gear, I wouldn't hesitate to use it. We have no more problems with their gear than anyone else'. MOF, it's all been very dependable.

Their DR400 combo rev/delay stomp is very popular, or was until it was discontinued, and was less than 1/3 the cost of the Roland equivalent...but just try and find one...no one that owns them is giving them up.

I understand if you've had problems with it in the past and/or not wanting to use it if you don't like it, but I think it's a mistake to dismiss it based solely on the brand name. JMO.