The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Favorite Peavey Amp for Steel
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 May 2019 3:05 am    

I have two favorite Peavey steel amps My LTD400 and the newest Nashville 112,the midranges speak to me!!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 12 May 2019 6:54 pm    

Without a doubt, 1974 Session 400 with a 1501 BMX speaker.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2019 9:23 am     Peavey

You'll be surprised to know that the Robert Randolph amplifier head weighs 32 lbs. and the RR Enclosure weighs 33 lbs.

Steve Schmidt

Ramsey, MN, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2019 7:49 pm    

I picked up a very beat up Bandit 65 figuring I'd build a new cabinet someday. It has ended up in my shop now. I helped a friend on his PP last night and ended up playing thru that stock Bandit for about 3 hours. That amp sounds great, even with that crappy scorpion speaker in it. I'm going to rebuild a new pine cabinet and cover it in a nice tweed and stick one of my old JBL 12" JBLs in it. It is a really nice amp for sure, well worth the $40 I paid for it.

Mike Brown

Post  Posted 14 May 2019 5:40 am     Peavey Scorpion

The Scorpion Series of speakers were designed and voiced for guitar and bass guitar, not steel guitar. I agree, it probably did sound "awkward", but used in the right application, the Scorpion is a great sounding guitar and bass guitar speaker. There are many in use all over the world and have been for over 30 years.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 14 May 2019 5:59 am    

I loved my old Nashville 400. Then I got an Evans and I never looked back.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Rene Brosseau

Chatham,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 14 May 2019 9:12 am     amp preference

I used 2 Nashville 400s for years in the 80's & 90's stereo set-up that I liked, but now I prefer the 1000...better, richer lows & presence......I gave it up for a 112 because of my back...still prefer the 1000.
Franklin #130, Melobar Skreemer, Wechter Scheerhorn Resonator, Nashville 112, Boss DD 3 &/or Profex II

Cameron Kerby

Rutledge, TN
Post  Posted 16 May 2019 4:40 am    

My first amp I ever used for steel was a Peavey Deuce. What an adventure that was. Nowadays I gig with a Nashville 400 and record with this Session 500 which is my favorite Peavey, just not very Chiropractor friendly.

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 24 May 2019 7:55 am    

The Heritage VTX is a two channel SS preamp / 4 6L6 power amp.

It is beautiful for every application including steel with the right speaker and the original N112 speaker is great with it. Havent tried others outside of the stock Scorpion which is aok.

As for the Peavey Scorpion - i like it better than 80 percent of most guitar amp speakers. Very universal for most any type of tone.

You don't appreciate what a great job peavey does until you spend a decade and untold thousands buying and trying all kinds of other stuff.

Ron Bryson

Bonifay, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2019 10:44 am    

Not strictly original Peavey, but the very best that I have heard, is the NV400, (or Vegas 400) with the Ken Fox Intense Mod, and a 1501-4 DT speaker.

Jerry Horch

Alva, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2019 4:41 pm     Session

I used a session 400 and a 500 together.....

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2019 1:27 am     Re: Peavey Session Amp & 115N Extension Cabinet

Mike Castleberry wrote:
I recently purchased a Peavey Robert Randolph amp and decided to send it to Peavey so their techs could re-calibrated it to the Peavey Session specs. Thanks to Mike Brown, the Peavey repair department replaced components and made adjustments that brought the amp to the Session amp specs. The amp and speaker cabinet are light and constructed of durable materials. Peavey are great people to deal with and the amp not only sounds fantastic for my steel, it's a great guitar amp too. Someday I will add another speaker cabinet, so I get the full 500 watts RMS power. Here are a couple of pics.

Hello Mike,
I’m very interested in doing what you’ve done with the Robert Randolph head. How much roughly did it cost you for shipping and the service? Might be less expensive to have a head cab made for the combo session 115, I like head amp configuration. Thanks

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2019 5:38 am    

I've stuck with Peavey for years because of proven track record of great tone, reasonable pricing, quality and how they have bent over backwards for the STEEL GUITARIST.

In the early 1980's I worked for Faron Young. We were passing through and stopped the buss at Peavey. The whole service department opened the bus bins, pulled out all the Peaveys (PA too), worked on every amp doing updates, cleaning pots and so on. Within 90 minutes we were back on the road. Talk about SERVICE!

Over the years I have tried other brands, but always come back home to Peavey.

Recently I've experimented with the Peavey MiniMax and I'm really liking it. It's a bass head amp and is really got the tone, power and portability. I'm playing it through a 12" Black Widow speaker cabinet. It has done well on gig. I also love my Nashville 112.

CLICK SAMPLE

PEAVEY CLICK HERE

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2019 5:45 am    

Does Peavey make a tube amp,,,or better yet, an amp head that would be good for steel guitar?

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2019 7:32 am     peavey amps

here is my special 130 in a tommy huff cabinet
with 1504 speaker. great amp.....

p.w

Mike Brown

Post  Posted 9 Jul 2019 7:40 am     Peavey Tube Amp

We don't presently offer a tube amp for steel guitar, but I invite you to check out the Session 115 or the Robert Randolph amplifier head with the 115N cabinet(as seen on this post). We also offer a 212 cabinet as another possibility.

Go to our site at www.peavey.com to check it out!

If you have questions, please contact me at 1-877-732-8391, ext. 1180 and I will assist.

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2019 11:23 pm    

ABP