The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  10 string mongrel from ebay.
Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2019 6:39 pm    

Some of you may have seen it but I was the only bidder. I probably paid too much, but i wanted a 10 string (non pedal)NOW and couldn't resist the cool parts and look. Looks like Sho-Bud parts on a ZB deck w/ Fessy fretboard. I'm thinking of hunting for vintage s10 endplates for it i.e. ZB but it could be other. When I get delivery I'll post on wanted section.

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 14 May 2019 6:00 am    

Pretty cool. Looks like it’s built to last. Congratulations on the score.
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 14 May 2019 6:19 am    

That's pretty neat.
Needs an Emmons decal to complete the concept.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2019 6:53 am    

That's sure not a mongrel.
It's more of a hybrid and a good one at that. Very Happy
Erv

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 14 May 2019 10:41 am    

The Walnut/Maple look reminds me of my Magnatone. Pretty, and probably quite solid!

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 14 May 2019 3:53 pm    

I'd say the neck looks like Sho-Bud too. Probably built from a D-10 Sho-Bud that got turned into an SD-10. Neck is pre-'75, I think - the changer fingers have pins for the strings vs. slots, and also the screws that hold the neck down that are visible - those disappeared in '75. My only concern would be the fret-spacing - I don't know what Fessenden uses, but would guess 24 1/4", like most modern guitars. But old Sho-Buds were built with 24" string length - measure from the roller nut to the 12th fret and see if you get 12 or 12 1/8th. Then compare to distance from roller nut to top of the changer fingers.

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2019 4:02 pm    

Yea, the pins vs slots influenced my trigger a bit. I was wondering about the scale match up. Glad you mentioned it. I hope it's correct as I really like how the Fessy fb looks.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 15 May 2019 2:04 am    

The scale thing crossed my mind too. Unfortunately, people who do not have a clue will sometimes just line up the 12th fret to the center point and think that they have made whatever adjustment is necessary for the scale differential. The question is, what is the actual measurement from nut to bridge. if it is the most common Sho-Bud 24", then unless someone actually custom made a Fessenden looking board, it just will not be right.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 15 May 2019 12:46 pm    

I was watching that one, I'd say you got a good buy. Probably with new strings and a little fiddling with pickup height and breakover angle at the nut it'll be a tone/sustain monster.

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2019 4:54 pm    

Thanks Gene, guess you were one of the 10 watching. Just got delivery. The fretboard is 24" scale Very Happy. Don't know why the Fessy fb would be but it is. I initially thought the parts were mounted on a ZB deck because of the middle maple deck which is a nice flamed maple wood attached in turn on what looks like nice straight grain dark mahogony. Neck on top of course from the original Sho-bud.
I see why these would be tone monsters how the fingers positive stop against the inside back of the finger housing. Looking forward to get new strings on.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 16 May 2019 6:36 am    

It's easy enough to check intonation with a flat file or any square straightedge with some mass. I think on one of mine strings 1-2 showed some funkiness, I'll have to check again.

George Rout

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 16 May 2019 7:45 am    

Pardon my ignorance Steven, but what is the toggle switch for??
Geo

"I play in the A Major tuning. It's fun to learn and so easy to play. It's as old as the hills....like me"

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2019 9:35 am    

George, It must be a tapped pickup. One position is a little brighter than the other.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 16 May 2019 11:28 am    

Steven Welborn wrote:
The fretboard is 24" scale Very Happy. Don't know why the Fessy fb would be but it is.

Interesting. Although if you are setup to do it, all it takes is some keystrokes to print out any thing, any way, so why not?
Cool!

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2019 6:00 pm    

Very rough job chopping off those finger tops. In thinking that finger mass effects tone, etc., I would've taken care to make sure they were all even and matched, and better yet, why chop them off at all. Leave the entire top finger section alone and route just enough cavity necessary to clear the finger bottoms. I'm inclined to get a new set of pre '75 fingers. Maybe some source would sell me just the tops. And better yet, leave more mass on them since no scissor need be attached. Any recommendation for a source?

pic showing all fingers pulled against back bar:

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 17 May 2019 3:30 am    

I present this FYI. I do not know how this matches your piece and I can't know how much more $$ you would want to put into this guitar.
I do know that the seller was checked out a couple of years ago and is who & what he says he is -- someone who bought a bunch of NOS Sho-Bud inventory. Although I have never been certain whether it is all NOS or if maybe some of it is 'seconds'. Not an accusation. Just a disclaimer. I have never done business with him.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sho-Bud-Pedal-Steel-Guitar-G214-Tailpiece-w-Fingers-Assembly-1-I-2-ShoBud-NOS-/133000957043?hash=item1ef7798c73

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2019 10:10 am    

Thanks Jon. I'm unable to tell from the sellers pics whether those changers have slots or pins. I'm awaiting a response about that from seller. I see they're triple raise double lower but I don't know if that's an indication. I think i've seen one or several sources that provide new Shobud finger replacements and 10 would cost about the same as this sellers complete NOS changer.