The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Speaker Mod for Elf Power Amp ?
Kristen Bruno

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2019 7:21 am    

I am getting an Elf, which is rated for 130 watts going into 8 ohms. I have a little speaker cab with an 8 ohm Celestian "G10 Vintage" speaker which I believe handles 60 watt.

Until I make a lightweight cab for a 15 (or even 12 inch speaker) which can handle more watts , I will use this small 10 inch speaker. Its really loud enough for a monitor, I would use the line out to go to a PA.

Aside from not turning the power up all the accidentally, is there anything I can do or make fairly cheaply to prevent me from blowing up the speaker? (I am proficient with soldering and such).

Thanks
K

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2019 11:26 am     Speaker Mod for ELF

I'm am presently using a JBL D-130 15" 8 ohm speaker with my ELF. It has about a 60 Watt rating and I.ve had no problems with up to about 1/2 max volume anything over that I cant say. A 50 x 100 room (Restaurant Setting) about 1 on gain and 3 on master vol. is quite loud and clean.
I'm not sure if there is any Mod To control wattage and adding resistance (Ohms) would probably over work and damage the amp.
My main concern with a 10" speaker would be too much High end and not enough bass. The ELF's tend to be a little excessive on the Highs.

Barry

Kristen Bruno

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2019 12:00 pm    

Thanks. Yea, I figured I might get too much highs with the little speaker. Will eventually get a larger speaker. I wonder how they sell some of those new bass speaker cabinets with such small speakers. They must be special design or something.

k

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 11 May 2019 1:09 pm     Re: Speaker Mod for Elf Power Amp ?

Kristen Bruno wrote:
Aside from not turning the power up all the accidentally, is there anything I can do or make fairly cheaply to prevent me from blowing up the speaker? (I am proficient with soldering and such).

Put in an in-line fuse(with holder).

Last edited by Steven Paris on 12 May 2019 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2019 6:20 pm    

This is my setup the Black Box helps tame the highs and covers a lot of the sterile tone this little head has. most any Buffer will work but the head is a little Too Clean.

Barry

Kristen Bruno

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2019 7:48 pm    

I like the look of the effect to amp setup. Everything is in straight view. Not really looking down.

K