The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Carry on Baggage
Jerry Horch

Alva, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2019 3:42 pm    

Not sure if I'm posting in the correct spot. Im planning a flight and wondering if any airline will permit an acoustic guitar to be carried on board rather than checking it? Dont mind paying for it....I dont trust handling it or it making a stop over transfer to another plane.Ive had lost luggage turn into a nightmare ordeal.thanks for input.Jerry

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 1 May 2019 4:32 pm    

This may help........or not.
I always thought if it doesn't meet the measurements for carry-on it would have to be put in the hold.
I know one guy that actually bought a seat for his guitar every time he flew.

http://www.guitaradventures.com/10-tips-flying-with-your-guitar
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2019 5:39 pm    

I see people carrying guitars on board all the time, don't know what the rule is.

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 1 May 2019 6:06 pm    

I fly with guitars a lot. The "rules" are all over the map. I know people who have been very successful at carrying on, particularly on Southwest. I think in the US there is a regulation that has been helpful, but I've read it or a least a version of it that existed when I looked into it, and it was totally dependent on there being room in the overhead. I have had, at best, mixed success.

I think the people who use Southwest pay a bit extra to get to board in the first group so there is room in the overhead. Southwest doesn't fly where I need to fly.

A lot of the small regional jets that are in use today don't have enough room in the overheads for a regular-sized guitar case.

Gate checking is a useful thing, but the rules seem to keep changing about it too.

I've checked a lot of instruments (and with pedal steel there really is no other realistic option) and had few problems until recently when my guitars got delayed in both directions between Edmonton and Dallas - I played the TSGA with (excellent) borrowed instruments. I'd like to think that trip was an anomaly.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 1 May 2019 11:12 pm    

The US Dept of Transportation has some specific rules covering flying with musical instruments that have been in effect since 2015. Have a look here:
https://www.transportation.gov/sites/dot.gov/files/docs/Final_%20Rule_%20Musical_Instruments.pdf

The rules are different than for normal carry-on luggage, airlines are required to allow a passenger to bring small musical instruments (including guitars) on board as their carry on item provided there is room in the available storage, which as Bob pointed out, may or may not be big enough to accommodate a guitar.

Getting it past TSA might be another adventure yet.

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 2 May 2019 7:41 am    

I've never had TSA or their Canadian counterparts bat an eye at a carried-on guitar. Sometimes they look in the case if there is something triggered by the X-ray that they can't identify just as they do with other carry-on items.

Jerry Horch

Alva, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2019 10:43 am    

Thanks , looks like I better contact the airline.Since L.A.is my destination... I want it to stay in my sight.

Will Hart

St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Post  Posted 2 May 2019 12:08 pm    

I've had success doing a "Valet Check" when my guitar won't fit in the overhead. You do that at the boarding gate. It puts your instrument as the last thing to go in the cargo hold along with strollers and it's the first to come out. It can vary but often you pick up right as you step out of the plane. Of course, you may have to wait a bit.

Andrew Roblin

Various places
Post  Posted 2 May 2019 12:23 pm    

If you can board early, you greatly improve your chances of finding room in overhead.

If there's no room in overhead, gate-checking is a good option.

Alan Bidmade

Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Post  Posted 4 May 2019 5:26 am    

With Sid James, Charles Hawtrey and Hattie Jacques?

(This one for UK steelers only). Laughing Laughing Laughing
Ben-Rom #017 'Lorelei', Guild D25, Epiphone 'Joe Pass', Roland 40XL, Hilton VP

First name Alan, but known as Nick

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 4 May 2019 12:15 pm    

No problem with TSA but I’ve had to present this to the Alaska gate agent before to take my steel on and put it in the 1st class overhead..

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 11 May 2019 8:18 am    

Will Hart wrote:
I've had success doing a "Valet Check".... It puts your instrument as the last thing to go in the cargo hold along with strollers and it's the first to come out. It can vary but often you pick up right as you step out of the plane.

I flew to LA on Southwest recently and did that, thinking I’d pick it up on my way off the plane in San Antonio, but it was checked straight through.
They said they only gate check strollers and wheelchairs,etc. Apparently NOT $4,000 instruments! Luckily my EXCEL weighs 37 lbs in the case, so on my way home ( I had Early Bird check in) I got on and put it right in the overhead.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Will Hart

St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Post  Posted 11 May 2019 11:04 am    

When Valet Checking I was flying with my Clinesmith reso. Done it many times. Maybe a PSG looks too much like a suitcase and they put it through.

Kevin: say hi to Connie and Jack if you see them. I always regret not seeing you when you were on STX many years ago.