The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sweetwater Tweed Princeton Reverb With 12" Speaker Review
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2019 10:53 am    

Here's my review of the Sweetwater Tweed Princeton Reverb with 12" Speaker.

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Sweetwater%20Tweed%20Princeton%20Reverb/Sweetwater%20Tweed%20Princeton%20Reverb.html

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 11 May 2019 1:26 pm    

"Besides, the tube sockets are all chassis mounted and flexibly wired over to the PC board. This reduces the risk of PC board mechanical breakage and heat damage."
THAT is a welcome improvement, IMO. When did they start doing that?

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 11 May 2019 4:47 pm    

Wow, 15 watts, impressive 👍

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2019 5:32 pm    

Thank you for all the work you did for this review.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2019 5:57 pm    

I bought this amp because of the stellar tweed appearance and the quality 12" speaker. Not a lot of power but tons of gain for dynamics and recording. You can hear that the reverb is better than most re-issue reverbs. The pots are still mounted on a PC board that is then wired over to the circuit board. I like this amp a bit better than the Allen Chihuahua but it's not in the class of the Allen Encore in terms of reverb, versatility of tone stack, and of course does not have the double T speaker. I'm down to three amps and will unload the Chihuahua in favor of keeping amps with 12" speakers. After expecting this re-issue to really suck I must admit it's a keeper for guitar. I don't play out much anymore so no need for a Telonics or Peavey Session 115 class amp. Inserting the pot pedal instead of the Lehle into the chain and using a good stomp box hall effect reverb will likely give me a better steel tone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Mark Draycott

Princeton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 12 May 2019 4:12 am    

I own this same amp. It is a secret weapon. The Cannabis Rex is very efficient giving this amp good volume levels before breaking up. Some correctly biased NOS 6V6's and Premium Gold Lion 12AX7's put it above factory sound. I love mine and will never part with it.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 12 May 2019 7:17 am    

A couple of geek/tech/engineer comments.

It looks like this amp comes with a "tube cage". Similar to the later Peavey Classic 30/50/etc amps. Nice touch.

Complaint, not just this amp but many other PCB amps as well: I wish that the PCBs had the traces and pads on the top side. Replacing components is much easier, if it ever needs to be done.

If you have never played through a PR, my advice is: Don't. Because if you do, you'll probably be reaching for your credit card. ;>))