The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Which 1X15 with a Surgical Steel?
Fred Rogan

Birmingham, AL USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2019 4:02 pm    

If you were going to go with one 15" with a Dr. Z Surgical Steel, what 15" would it be? I did find a thread on this from 2017 but was wondering what time and experience had shown.
thanks

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2019 2:37 am    

I’ve been using the PF-400, and the Telonics Neo-15, I like the tone of these with the Surgical Steel. The SS amp is very powerful as a side note,
Also the 12 inch PF-350 sounds good with the SS as well.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2019 5:46 am     Which 1x15 with a Surgical Steel?

If it were mine, I would use my JBL D-130. My other top picks would be the Eminence EPS-15 or a Peavey 1501-4.

I have always dreamed of owning a Surgical Steel head, but can't afford one. I have only seen one for sale on the forum. Are there just not many people using them or are they so good nobody wants to part with them? How do they compare to other tube amps, ie. Little Walter, Milkman, Twin Reverb, etc.?

Fred Rogan

Birmingham, AL USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2019 6:20 am    

George
thanks for your comments. when you say the SS is very powerful, is that a plus or a minus? is there a loss of fidelity at low volume? harder to handle (harness) than a 500 watt Telonics combo (which is not hard to handle)?
thanks

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2019 1:27 pm    

Fred,
I'll say it's a good thing, plenty of headroom. The SS amp is a very clean and extremely articulate amp. It tends to be a bit on the bright side but can easily be adjusted. I will alternate between the SS and the Little Walter 89, both very responsive with the tube feel. When we have bigger stage shows I'll use both in sort of a stereo combination. Big tone..
I'm fortunate to have several high end tube set ups.. like em'. OH and the SS is not hard to handle at lower volume as in practice room environments, no loss in fidelity whatsoever..
A disclaimer.. I play 60's era Emmons Push Pulls (aluminum neck bolt on), you'll never get lost in the mix on stage.. right down my alley tone wise.. it is real..IMHO

Fred Rogan

Birmingham, AL USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2019 1:31 pm    

Sounds good to me!
thank you

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2019 1:35 pm     Re: Which 1x15 with a Surgical Steel?

George Kimery wrote:
If it were mine, I would use my JBL D-130. My other top picks would be the Eminence EPS-15 or a Peavey 1501-4.

I have always dreamed of owning a Surgical Steel head, but can't afford one. I have only seen one for sale on the forum. Are there just not many people using them or are they so good nobody wants to part with them? How do they compare to other tube amps, ie. Little Walter, Milkman, Twin Reverb, etc.?

you only go this way once Geo! I don't think too many are using the SS.. although Mike Daly uses it and he ain't gonna use something that doesn't' sound good. I have a 1973 Fender Vibrosonic that I got off the roadie for Neil Young several years ago in Boston, had some mod's done, brought it to our local tube guru he put he reverb on both channels and instituted a octal tube circuit for the preamp.. superb steel guitar amp.. heavy as hell so it sits in our band leaders practice room.. I threaten to put it in a head cabinet.. but sure sound good for practice..