The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How to import BIAB file to DAW ?
Michell Geerdink

Netherlands
Post  Posted 6 May 2019 9:21 am    

Hello,

I want to import a BIAB file to the daw i'm using. Could anyone explain how i should do this?
I have BIAB 2018 and the DAW i'm using is Waveform (Tracktion)
What i would like te be able to achieve is making a backing track in BIAB, then take the file to Waveform and record a steelpart over it.

Thanks in advance,
Michell

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 May 2019 10:53 am    

Save the BIAB song as a wav file.
Import that wav file to one track in your DAW.
Record the steel in a separate track.
Mixdown the two tracks to one final track.

That will give you the BIAB and Steel together.

Michell Geerdink

Netherlands
Post  Posted 7 May 2019 12:02 pm    

Thanks Jack,

I'm going to try it and i'll let you know once i succeed..
Michell

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 May 2019 3:08 pm    

I've done that several times.
I use Cakewalk Sonar in my home recording studio.

Michell Geerdink

Netherlands
Post  Posted 7 May 2019 8:52 pm    

Okay, thanks again. I'm very new at this. I want to make short videos of licks and other steel, and guitar parts. So synchronising video and audio will be a challenge also..

I purchased a Behringer Xenyx 802 usb mixer and it came with free recording software, Tracktion, or Waveform as it is now called i believe.
If have no clue whether this is the 'right' software for beginners though..

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 May 2019 2:17 am    

I have no experience with that mixer and it may be an issue for what you want to do.

One most likely issue will be latency. The difference in time due to hearing the playback of the backing track and recording the steel part and they can be out of sync. It can be significant with some interface hardware. PC Sound cards are no better and most have poor latency.

Commercial recording studio that record audio for video use 48Khz to be able to sync with video rather than the "standard" 44.1Khz.

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 11 May 2019 4:49 am    

You can save each instrument as an individual wave file and import each one to a separate track. Then you can really work it over. I save the BIAB files, the open them in Real Band a lot of times before saving as individual wave files. It seems to work better for me, YMMV

Michell Geerdink

Netherlands
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2019 1:26 am    

Well, i succeeded in saving the BIAB file as a WAV file which is cool. Also i managed to import the wav into Tracktion/waveform.
Now i can play the wav file, then record a pedal steel part on a second track.
Now, i need to put the two tracks together to one file and here's where i find difficulties.
How do i do this? Can anyone give me some tips?
Thanks in advance,

Michell

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2019 8:36 am    

There are several tutorial videos on youtube. Here's one that explains rendering the audio near the end of the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yViAxz7BLo

Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2019 3:13 pm     recording

If you made a second track in your recording daw and played along with the imported band in a box backing track and it sounds allright you should be able to export to MP3 or wave and then have a file with both together...make note that you cannot separate that wave or MP3 but you can import it again and add a bass or anything else you may want.
Music is good for the soul..playing it is even better! Gretsch6strLapSteel*PeaveyNashville400*HudsonSD-10*DigitechRP360*FenderChampion100*PeaveyKB300*Goodrich120*Behringerx1204*BehringerMini4*Mullen S10"Discovery"*Peavey Vegas400*Princeton112plus*SuperChampX2*SidekickReverb65*Rumble100*MarshallMG50DFX*Nashville112

Mark McCornack

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2019 9:00 am    

Here’s another option you might consider for addressing your issue. There is another excellent DAW on the market called REAPER, available for free demo and a very reasonable purchase price should you decide to buy it..

With REAPER, I use the Band in a Box VST plugin on a completed Band in a Box project files and import them into REAPER as separate tracks. This gives a great deal more flexibility than rendering a file in BIAB to a stereo WAV or MP3 then importing this stereo file into your DAW. Your backing file can then have multiple tracks (bass, guitar, drums, piano, alternate piano, sax, etc..) and you can now deal with them individually in mixing. Add your steel part(s) then, and complete the mixing. Way better than a fixed stereo track.

Here’s a video from the producers of Band in a Box that will go through the process. It’s a bit of an “infomercial”, as is most of their stuff, but the important information is there and easy to understand.

As a side note, you may want to take a look at REAPER in any case as your DAW. The more I use it, the more I like it.

Here’s the video
ttps://www.pgmusic.com/support.bbplugin.reaper.htm

Travis Wilson

Johnson City, TX
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2019 9:48 am    

You can also export all the midi data. That’s what I do, I make the song quickly in BIAB and export the midi to Reason. I find it easier customize it and add better instruments that way.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2020 12:13 pm    

Michell Geerdink wrote:
Okay, thanks again. I'm very new at this. I want to make short videos of licks and other steel, and guitar parts. So synchronising video and audio will be a challenge also..

I purchased a Behringer Xenyx 802 usb mixer and it came with free recording software, Tracktion, or Waveform as it is now called i believe.
If have no clue whether this is the 'right' software for beginners though..

record the video and audio on your camera. At the same time record your steel on a separate recorder. If the take is good then import your steel and audio track from your separate recorder on the video track as a separate track and line up that audio with the audio recorded on the camera. then delete the camera audio. It will be in perfect sync with the video.