| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  DV Mark (again)
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2019 4:54 am    

Let it never be said I am not willing to reconsider my opinions and decisions....

Last summer, following several glowing recommendation, I picked up a DV Mark micro 50 (first generation). I loved the sound in my study, but on the gig it "felt "strange (as I tried to explain, perhaps inadequately) in this thread.. Sold it and moved on.

Fast forward: I have to fly to a gig at the end of the month, and I'm not sure what to expect amp wise. I decided that, for the money, knowing I liked the sound, and for its compactness, I'd give the DV another shot. I decided to follow Jim Cohen's lead and go with the Little 250. I pulled it out for the second set last night. Again: tone is great, but the feel is foreign. I used it through the end of the night to get a feel for it. It feels as if I lose some sort of "squish" when I use this amp. As if the various points on my volume pedal are just points, not connected in a tapered fashion, so that when I go from a lower volume to a higher one the sound jumped rather than swelled.

Speaking with my tech savvy lead player at the break, he suggested an impedance issue. I wonder whether the DV Mark has a very different input impedance from other guitar amps(?) And wouldn't this be mitigated my my Matchbox anyway?? He suggested either a compressor before the volume pedal (one more gizmo) or running the three cord hook up (since the DV Mark does have an effects loop.

I would ask, "Is it just me?", but I already know the answer: "yes." Nevertheless, anyone else using the DV Mark heads have any feedback (no, not that kind)? I am planning on keeping the amp and working with it this time. If nothing else, it's a fabulous back up to throw in the car for emergencies.
Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2019 4:23 pm    

I have the DV 50 and experience no such issue. The volume swell does exactly what my pedal delivers, a clean sweep from 0 to 100% without altering the sweep.

I just have a hard time dialing in the EQ that I want with the DV 50.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC..
Post  Posted 6 May 2019 12:33 am    

I don't use mine all the time, now and then, the 2nd issue DV Mark 50. I don't experience what you are speaking of.

To me the amp responds the same as all the others I use . Two different Steels, several different Telecasters.

Why not send DV Tech dept a note and ask them about the front end ? It would be quite odd if the front end impedance is a miss match to other amps.

I suspect what you may be hearing or noticing is power supply recovery like a SS rectifier vs a Tube rectifier. I believe the DV uses a very modern switching power supply which is very different than a standard AUDIO full/half wave PS. All amps are not equal in this regard and that's why many say I prefer ONE amp over another.

The DV is a fine all purpose amp, but it may not be for everyone.

Emmons Steels, Fender Telecasters
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 6 May 2019 1:51 am    

Interesting thought about the power amp recovery, Tony. I think I can adjust to whatever it is I am feeling/hearing. I'm going to use it for rehearsals and gigs this month and see if I can't adjust.

There's always the distinct possibility that it's all in my head.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC..
Post  Posted 6 May 2019 3:09 am    

Dan Beller-McKenna wrote:
Interesting thought about the power amp recovery, Tony. I think I can adjust to whatever it is I am feeling/hearing. I'm going to use it for rehearsals and gigs this month and see if I can't adjust.

There's always the distinct possibility that it's all in my head.

Laughing At least you can still hear things in your head ! Give it a few more years ! Very Happy

Emmons Steels, Fender Telecasters
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 6 May 2019 3:56 am    

Is that when all I hear in my head are the voices?
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 6 May 2019 5:30 am    

Hey, Dan. FWIW, I don't notice any such problem with mine. I do use a Li'l Izzy out my guitar but you're using a Matchbox so that should accomplish the same thing, I think...

www.JimCohen.com
www.BeatsWalkin.com
www.RonstadtRevue.com
www.sunfrog.com/PedalSteelThings/Steel-Guitar
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 7 May 2019 3:17 pm    

I'm using the DV Mark 250 with a single JBL K-130 4 ohm speaker in a Walker cab. No issues and enjoy the vibe.