The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavey Black Widow 1501-4
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2019 5:34 am    

I'm currently running an older BW 1501-4 that was originally installed in a Nashville 400 in my 1977 LTD 400. I installed it to replace the blown factory D-130. I am perfectly satisfied with the sound of the old amp with the new(er) speaker. Like many aging steelers, I would welcome any reduction in the amp's weight. I have considered swapping the original magnet for a neo magnet. Some questions:

1) Is there a neo magnet available to retrofit on this speaker's basket?
2) Is it a relatively quick and easy procedure?
3) Will the switch to a neo magnet have an effect on the sound, as compared to the original magnet?
4) How much of a weight reduction can be expected?
5) Would I be better off leaving my BW 1501-4 intact, and installing a different speaker designed from the ground up for a neo magnet?
6) Any recommendations for a lightweight neo mag speaker for an old LTD 400 that would compare favorably to the sound of my Black Widow?

This is the NV 400 Black Widow that's currently residing in the cab of my old LTD:

Comments, anecdotes, past experiences, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Last edited by Jack Hanson on 6 May 2019 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2019 8:46 am     Peavey 1504

Read my post "JBL-D130: What's the odds of blowing it, really". The 1501-4 that you have was designed to be a direct replacement for the JBL-D130. Read the post by Steve Hinson. You might want to try the Eminence 15-C.

Last edited by George Kimery on 6 May 2019 10:33 am; edited 2 times in total

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 6 May 2019 9:27 am    

Excuse the nit picking, but your speaker is a 1501-4. The first 4#'s are the speaker model and the #4 indicates the DC resistance in Ω. In this case 4 ohms.

The 1504 model speaker has a much different application.

Peavey's web site does not list the neo mag, but you might check with Mike Brown for availability...or check around online....I think I remember seeing them on ebay or some other speaker sites.

The Peavey neo magnet will bolt right onto your speaker, if you can find one, and I would not think changing it from the big one to the neo one would make any difference in the sound. IIRC, there is 6 or 7 lbs. difference in the weight.

I have not ever used the Eminence neo mag speakers, but they seem very popular around here. There's the Travis Toy model, the EPS-15 and the Telonics models that are expressly built for steel guitar. Other neo brands around too such as Sica but I'm not sure about their intended application.

Best of luck...hope you find something that works for u.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2019 9:59 am    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
Excuse the nit picking, but your speaker is a 1501-4.

Of course it is! Thanks, Jerry, for pointing out my mistake. I will edit my original post. And I knew all along what it was, but unfortunately did not do a very good job of proofreading. Shoulda waited until after the morning coffee was ready before posting.

Thank you for the additional info. Most helpful.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2019 10:24 am     Peavey 1504r

Jack, you didn't make a mistake, I did. I looked at your photo again, and it is clearly a 1501-4, not a 1504. I don't know how I made the mistake, I looked at the photo when I made my first post. Old age, I guess😩

FWIW, I don't think you need to change speakers unless you are gigging a lot and just want to get rid of some weight or if you are not happy with the sound of the 1501.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 6 May 2019 12:29 pm    

It's not a big deal. Maybe shouldn't have pointed it out. I figured you guys knew what it was, I just thought maybe some players not familiar with the models might have some confusion down the road.

Cheers all.

Further, the stock big mag specs at 96 oz. which is 6 lbs. I think the neo is 1# or less, so you could save 5# or so on the tote. Doesn't sound like a lot, but it does make a difference. As usual, I defer to Mike or other Peavey expert on the specs.

Ronald Sikes

Corsicana, Tx
Post  Posted 6 May 2019 3:05 pm    

I just received a BW 1501-4 Neo from U.S. Speaker. They have them in stock. I haven’t tried it yet. It’ll be another week or two before I can put it in my NV400. Here’s a link to buy them.
http://www.usspeaker.com/peavey%2015014neo%20bw-1.htm
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats

Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2019 7:08 am     1501-4

Good to know these are available from U.S. Speaker.

I've just discovered what the rest of you steelers have known for years. After trying a bunch of 15 inch speakers, both neo-mag and heavy mag, I found a well-worn 1501-4 here on the forum that sounds fantastic. Liked it so much that I bought a newer one, then upgraded it with a neo magnet. The heavy speaker is in an extension cab, and the neo speaker is in a 400 amp.

I think Peavey got it right with the 1501-4.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2019 8:04 am     Re: 1501-4

Tommy Boswell wrote:
I think Peavey got it right with the 1501-4.

I second that emotion. I also purchased the 1501-4 pictured above, used and well-broken in, from a Forum ad. I realize this is sacrilege to some, but in my opinion it blows the doors off the original factory JBL D-130 in my old LTD 400.

Where did you purchase your neo magnet?

Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2019 8:44 am    

Here on the forum.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2019 7:24 pm    

I have used LTD 400's for years. Have had them with the old Grey JBL D-130F, The Black JBL D-130F that Peavey used and the BW and all were great. A few years back I put a Eminence 15-C speaker in one and really like it plus it was 8 lbs lighter. Amp only weight 42 lbs. Now I have one with a SICA 15" speaker and it is very nice and weights 42 lbs. The LTD 400 is a great compact amp with all the power you will need. All though I did in some places run two of them side by side. Great Sound. J.R.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2019 7:30 am    

Which Sica 15 is everyone using? Steel or aluminum frame 250 or 350 watt?

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2019 7:31 am    

Which Sica 15 is everyone using? Steel or aluminum frame 250 or 350 watt?