The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Y2 caps for RF suppression or IEC/EMI single packs?
Steve Waltz

USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2019 1:50 pm    

I was going to order new Y2 safety caps to try out for noise issues. I've read about and seen those IEC/EMI products that combine the across the line and line to ground caps plus inductors for noise suppression. You can buy them as inline or as point of entry to a chassis with a fuse and or a power switch. Is the noise suppression better with when using those rather than standard Y2 safety caps?

Why don't amp builders use these?

Thanks,
Steve

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-NEW-CORCOM-3VR1-2-STAGE-EMI-RFI-POWER-LINE-FILTER-3A-120V-250V-250VAC-50-60HZ/312563333581?epid=1800247864&hash=item48c639f9cd:g:IyIAAOSwIN9cqN-W:sc:USPSFirstClass!94610!US!-1

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 May 2019 4:49 pm     Re: New Y2 caps for RF suppression or IEC/EMI single packs?

Steve Waltz wrote:

Why don't amp builders use these?

I'd guess because very little noise and interference enters an amp via the AC line. Most noise issues in guitar amps are caused by EMI that enters the amp input through the pickups and cords, and these devices won't do anything for that.

Steve Waltz

USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2019 4:56 pm    

Amp builders added .047 caps on the mains in the past in order to deal with RF. We still have RF. Most electronic equipment pieces now are made with items like I attached. The parts are fairly cheap and if it works that one time that you play a bar or club with junk on it's mains, it seems it would be worth it. Right? I admit that in many cases it most likely wouldn't do anything.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2019 6:13 pm    

Can't you just use a power strip that has rf suppression, that's what I do and no issues so far.