The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Overdriven Pups
Cameron Kerby

Rutledge, TN
Post  Posted 2 May 2019 4:25 am    

I've got a Pro 2 that the pickups are acting up on me slightly. The C6th pickup is Sho Bud original, bending at the screws, but E9th is non original. I've not seen this E9th pickup on anything else before but it does not have a very good tone. The C6th pup sounds good with no pedals engaged, but both necks sound overdriven when pedals are pressed or during slides. Anyone ever ran across this issue? Considering swapping them both out for truetones. Thoughts? Thanks!

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2019 5:21 am    

Perhaps a pickup height adjustment will help? You should be able to slide two stacked quarters and maybe even three between the top of the pickup and the strings, is a great starting point? Best of luck to ya!

colin mcintosh

Australia
Post  Posted 2 May 2019 7:24 am    

It's difficult to tell for sure from the pic but I'd be checking the wiring to that switch and output socket.

Cameron Kerby

Rutledge, TN
Post  Posted 2 May 2019 12:25 pm    

Thanks for the tips. I have adjusted height to 2 quarters on the bass side, 1 on the treble. Seems to bet more distorted the closer you get to the strings. I would also guess jack needs to be replaced.

What is that above the input jack, a resistor? The reason I ask is because I have not seen this on other guitars. Thanks for the knowledge.

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2019 1:35 pm    

I’d try cleaning the jack before replacing it...a brass bore brush(for a 357cal.) on a drill would easily remove any crud out of the barrel of the output jack, restoring its contact ability for the instrument cable.
The only thing else I see in your picture is a 3way pickup selector switch, no resistors visible? Both of those components are Switchcraft and of the highest quality, and are not likely to “go bad”, but clearing away the tarnish won’t hurt a bit!