The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I killed my Stroboflip Tuner
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2019 9:42 am    

OOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plugged my 24v Hilton power supply into my 5v Stroboflip. After noticing a burning smell, I figured out the problem.

Oh well. Phone or iPad tuner for me now.

Embarassed Mad

Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2019 10:29 am    

Richard, I wonder it they have a sacrificial element that keeps the rest of the tuner safe? Might be worth it to have them check it out.

Mike Terry

Galesburg Il
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2019 11:07 am    

Richard, i did the same thing to my stroboflip tuner right after i got it. I called Peterson & they said a lot of people do that & if i would send it in they would fix it free once.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 29 Apr 2019 1:41 pm    

I'll get ahold of Sue.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2019 3:46 pm    

It's obvious that Hilton pedals should be BANNED! And Telonics. And any other fancy 24V stuff. Who needs it?!

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2019 9:27 pm    

I have a “Hilton 24V” sticker taped on my Hilton power supply with packaging tape. I fried my Stroboflip twice before I learned. Sue will take care of the first one for you. I believe they have a protective component in it.
Jerry

Sandy Inglis

Christchurch New Zealand
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2019 2:04 am    

I also plugged a 12V plugpack into mine and it died. Thanks to the info from Peterson I was able to replace the chip that controls the voltage and it is still going strong! BUT I only use it on battery now to avoid the ever happening again.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 30 Apr 2019 5:51 am    

Jerry Roller wrote:
I have a “Hilton 24V” sticker taped on my Hilton power supply with packaging tape. I fried my Stroboflip twice before I learned. Sue will take care of the first one for you. I believe they have a protective component in it.
Jerry

I just printed a Dymo label and put heat shrink tubing on the plug. That should help me out. I also have had a label on the wal-wart.

I use the power supply because I have had the tuner get a little flaky with batteries. I don't think use batteries in anything any more. Too expensive, and can unexpectedly go south on you.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2019 6:13 am     I killed my Strobo Flip tuner

I have had my Strobo Flip for several years and have never used anything except batteries and have never had a problem. They must last at least 6 months. The display starts getting dim when the batteries need replacing. I always have fresh batteries in my gig bag. It has never occurred to me to use an adapter.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 1 May 2019 9:11 am     Re: I killed my Strobo Flip tuner

George Kimery wrote:
I have had my Strobo Flip for several years and have never used anything except batteries and have never had a problem. They must last at least 6 months. The display starts getting dim when the batteries need replacing. I always have fresh batteries in my gig bag. It has never occurred to me to use an adapter.

The times mine acted up, the display was bright and clear, but the strobe didn't move at all. Plugging into the power supply fixed it. I thought it was the batteries and changed them. Still, it happened again. I have a power strip right next to me when I play, so it's no problem to use the power supply. I don't use batteries in anything.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 1 May 2019 9:12 am    

Peterson quoted me $75 plus shipping to repair. I'll be using their app on my iPad or Pitchlab Pro on my phone.