The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Vorson SL-100E vs gretsch g5700
John Daiuto

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2019 8:01 am    

which would be better a Gretsch g5700 or a Vorson SL-100E?
both are $275 shipped.

Tommy Martin Young

Sacramento-California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2019 10:53 am    

John,

I bought the Vorson back in Nov '18 and have finally come around to some appreciation of it. Although I've been a musician for 25+ years I am a newbie to lap steel so take this for what it's worth.

While it's damn cool looking, I guess I am not a fan of active pickups. It could be that I am locked into wanting that traditional western swing sound and these aren't giving me warm and mellow...it does get a SCREAMING blues tone though. If I was doing open D stuff I'd probably dig it. Haven't played the Gretsch to know the difference

If you end up wanting the Vorson shoot me a pm and I'll give you a better deal shipped otherwise I am going to start swapping out pickups and knobs.

Cheers!

"Now is the time for drinking;
now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot."
-Quintus Horatius Flaccus (65-8 B.C.)

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2019 11:03 am    

I haven't ever seen one of those but I did try a couple Recording King $200 models briefly, they're not equipped with great tuners/pickups or electronics, the bridge is pretty flimsy but didn't have any obvious defects either. They needed a few tweaks like pickup height

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2019 6:00 am    

I know this is not the comparison you are asking about, but have you ever hear Mike Holland play his Epiphone Electar? He did change out the Pup, but I was on Youtube and heard a guy playing a demo using the stock Electar and it sounded pretty dang good. I think they are around $299. Seems to me, that statin black finish would be great for not showing fingerprints as quickly as gloss black.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmdsfw30EDc&list=WL&index=9&t=0s

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2019 6:37 am    

Many imports are fitted with inferior components (tuners, pickups, nuts, bridges, electronics, etc.), so folks often begin substituting aftermarket parts to achieve a decent sounding and more playable instrument. It won't take long before investing $100 or more in a $275 instrument, which brings you into the price range of many vintage American instruments of time-proven sound and playability.

Numerous vintage classics from Valco, Gibson, Magnatone, and others, are often available in the $300 range, and may prove a better investment in the long run. Especially if you are somewhat adept at installing new tuner buttons, soldering, and servicing and/or replacing electronic components.

If you have your heart set on a brand-new instrument, check out Melbert Guitars in Tennessee. They are only marginally more expensive, and are high-quality instruments hand-made in America by Forum member Robert Allen.

http://www.melbert.guitars/home.html

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2019 6:50 am    

Quote:
It won't take long before investing $100 or more in a $275 instrument, which brings you into the price range of many vintage American instruments of time-proven sound and playability.

Well said! I've learned the hard way never to skimp on lap steels or shoes. Yin my experience, you only wind up paying more shortly down the road.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2019 10:16 am    

I've owned/played a lot of Asian factory instruments: Eastman mandolin, violin, cello, RK banjos, Kentucky mandolins etc. I would agree that if somebody has the $400 or $500 for one of Melbert/Allen's base models and can wait a couple months (approximate, you'd have to ask him about exact price/ETA), they should get that instead but *some* $200 instruments are playable. The store that sells those RK's probably has to send a fair number back to the vendor because of serious QC problems.

John Daiuto

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2019 3:31 am    

THANKS FOR THE HELP