The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Non-steel Peavey Amps
Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 1:54 pm    

I’m in Baltimore...not an area with a ton of Steel equipment around.

Just wondering if there are Peavey amps that weren’t designed for steel particularly that function well for steel I might find used around here?

Also: I’m enjoying a solid state simulator on my crappy fender modeling amp for
Playing jazz. Will a peavey amp (steel or otherwise) work well for something similar?

Excuse my general ignorance about amps.

My good amp is a Fender Princeton reverb 68’ reissue.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 2:18 pm    

Peavey special 130 works well. Look for Peavey amps that have a mid control that contains a shift knob. Works as a parametric eq allowing you to tailor the mids. Even the Bandit does a fair job but lacks the shift control. Did you try the Princeton?

Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 2:43 pm    

Larry Dering wrote:
Peavey special 130 works well. Look for Peavey amps that have a mid control that contains a shift knob. Works as a parametric eq allowing you to tailor the mids. Even the Bandit does a fair job but lacks the shift control. Did you try the Princeton?

I’ve tried the Princeton with my lap steel a bit (just bought a pedal steel which is on the way). Sounds good, maybe breaks up pretty quick? I’m new to all this.

Mostly I practice with a fender mustang modeling amp and headphones. It’s pretty primitive.

Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 2:52 pm    

Is this similar?
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/msg/d/peavey-special-solo-combo-amp/6860108571.html

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 3:03 pm    

Many of the earlier '70's Peavey amps (the models with the aluminum strips bordering the grill cloth) work fairly well but most will require a speaker swap to sound their best for pedal steel applications. My favorite amp to use in small clubs (that allow smoking) is a Peavey 'Pacer' that I picked up on the local Craigslist for $50.00. The speaker was replaced with an Eminence 12" bass speaker. Our bass player posted a video of a live performance on his Facebook page and I was pleasantly surprised at how good that little unit sounded!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 3:19 pm    

Larry Dering wrote:
Peavey special 130 works well. Look for Peavey amps that have a mid control that contains a shift knob. Works as a parametric eq allowing you to tailor the mids.

That's good advice! Peavey's mid-shift control is what makes them better for steel than most solid-state Fender amps.

Joe Kaufman

Lewiston, Idaho
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 8:03 pm    

I agree with the comments so far. I have a Special 130 that seems to work well. I do think it’s the smallest or at least lightest I’ve seen with the mid shift. I’ve seen LA 400’s that are very similar but with more power. For larger amps like 2x12 there are Renown 400, Austin 400 (my brother uses one as a guitar amp) stereo chorus 400, I purchased a Vega 400 from a seller who believed it was an open back bass amp and not a steel guitar design. I think if you search for “Peavey” and “400” in your local craigslist, Facebook marketplace or pawn shops you will find more then one to choose from.

Steven Pearce

Port Orchard Washington, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 8:12 pm    

My 2 cents...
1980 Peavey TKO 80 Bass Amps
15” speakers
Big sound
Little price avg. $180.00
Steve
ps. The peavey logo was scratched off,
Now disguised as a Zap (whatever that is)

Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2019 3:41 am     Fender rumble

Fender Rumble 40's (Bass Amp) can be found on the cheap...great EQ...just add a reverb pedal or a echo/delay pedal and you are good to go...also fender sidekicks can be used..similar to the peavey bandit series..I have a sidekick Reverb 35 with the speaker swapped with a emenience
cannabus rex..very light weight, about 35 lbs. sounds great with steel..the sidekicks can be found in the reverb 15, reverb 20, reverb 25, reverb 30, reverb 35 and reverb 65 models..so there are many flavors to pick from to meet about any application..practice or gigging at great prices..IMHO..A lot of Peavey non-steel amp are out their as well..Ive used a KB300 and a Valveking II as well..PEAVEY amps are known for great reverb and this is a must for steel.
Music is good for the soul..playing it is even better! Gretsch6strLapSteel*PeaveyNashville400*HudsonSD-10*DigitechRP360*FenderChampion100*PeaveyKB300*Goodrich120*Behringerx1204*BehringerMini4*Mullen S10"Discovery"*Peavey Vegas400*Princeton112plus*SuperChampX2*SidekickReverb65*Rumble100*MarshallMG50DFX*Nashville112

Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2019 5:08 am    

Could someone check that craigslist ad I posted and tell me if that’s worth looking at?

If there was something that would double as a bass amp that would be amazing.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2019 5:23 am     Peavey for steel applications

Through my years here at Peavey, I have been asked if there were any Peavey model amplifiers that would work for steel guitar. Well, "all" of them will work, but I found that the Envoy 112 seemed to appeal to my ears better than other Peavey guitar amplifiers. I don't know why but maybe it was the speaker, the equalization of the amp, the cabinet construction, etc. but it seemed to work for me at that time.

For a more in depth read check this out;
https://assets.peavey.com/static/peavey/media/pdf/steelguitar/31years.pdf

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2019 7:15 am     Re: Peavey for steel applications

Mike Brown wrote:
Through my years here at Peavey, I have been asked if there were any Peavey model amplifiers that would work for steel guitar. Well, "all" of them will work, but I found that the Envoy 112 seemed to appeal to my ears better than other Peavey guitar amplifiers. I don't know why but maybe it was the speaker, the equalization of the amp, the cabinet construction, etc. but it seemed to work for me at that time.

For a more in depth read check this out;
https://assets.peavey.com/static/peavey/media/pdf/steelguitar/31years.pdf

----------------

While my Webb is in the shop, started using a Peavey Envoy 110 for home practice. Decent little amp I picked up for $40 from a local guitar player. May keep my eye out for the 12-inch version. Good tip, Mike Brown!

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2019 8:55 am    

Quote:
Could someone check that craigslist ad I posted and tell me if that’s worth looking at?

That Peavey Special is, I believe, the immediate predecessor of the Special 130 that others have mentioned on this thread. Similar, but 120 instead of 130 Watts RMS and it does not have the Mid Shift control, which allows you to set the center frequency of the Midrange control filter. I've played both, they're good clean amps, but for pedal steel, I'd go for the 130 with the Mid Shift. I personally don't care for the Scorpion speakers these come with stock, for pedal steel. To me, good for a Telecaster, but they're too quacky for me for pedal steel. But since you seem to be into Mooney, you might like the Scorpion. I personally popped a high-headroom speaker into my Bandit 65 and preferred it. But it would be worth listening to the Scorpion to see if you like it.

I'd also be patient and look for one more in the $100 range - even right now, google search shows a Special 130 at Guitar Center for $125 and one at Music Go Round for $100 - of course, there will be shipping and with GC's cheap shipping, they'll probably come out pretty similar price-wise. They really do pop up on Craigslist periodically at good prices.

Honestly, any of the mid-size Peavey solid-state guitar amps can work for Pedal Steel. The Bandit 65, Pacer, Envoy (I'd go for 112 as Mike says), and many others can give a solid clean sound with reasonable tone shaping qualities. I saw a later 80s Peavey Classic Chorus 212 on Harrisburg Craigslist the other day for $50! Crazy, that is a great clean amp, the seller was complaining about how loud, clean, and heavy it was, "get it outta' here".

To me, all of this begs the question, "Why not just pop for a good used pedal steel amp?" My favorite is still the 70s Session 400, or it's small-box equivalent, the LTD 400 (not the later Session 400 Limited), or an 80s Nashville 400. By guitar amp standards, at a typical price of $300-400 these are dirt cheap and lots of steel players are still using them. Or the later Nashville 112 - again, used examples are in the $400 type of range. They sometimes pop up even cheaper on the forum.

Of course, you may want something super cheap, lighter, and with less power, which may be reasonable if you're not having to deal with a high stage volume. I frequently use my silverface Deluxe Reverb with a JBL D120F these days - any of these mid-sized clean Peavey guitar amps will keep up at that level. But if you really want clean headroom, I'd look at the pedal steel amps.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2019 4:45 pm    

The Peavey Vegas is a good pedal steel and guitar amp.

Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2019 5:46 pm     craigslist

Paul...I would think this amp would work well..Peaveys reverb is great..doesn't have a shift but does have a presence control which could help your overall EQ situation especially if you have trouble with high treble...should have plenty of overhead with 130 watts..I believe that is twice that of a bandit..if you have any trouble with EQ you could always get a cheap equalizer pedal...I would try to get it for $150 though..also with the ext speaker jack you could try a 2-12" cab for a bass amp.
Music is good for the soul..playing it is even better! Gretsch6strLapSteel*PeaveyNashville400*HudsonSD-10*DigitechRP360*FenderChampion100*PeaveyKB300*Goodrich120*Behringerx1204*BehringerMini4*Mullen S10"Discovery"*Peavey Vegas400*Princeton112plus*SuperChampX2*SidekickReverb65*Rumble100*MarshallMG50DFX*Nashville112

Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2019 2:00 pm    

What about this one? It's local to me. Any idea about the "scorpion" part?

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/msg/d/laurel-peavey-special-112-amp/6881204554.html

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 4 May 2019 2:13 pm    

Paul McEvoy wrote:

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/msg/d/laurel-peavey-special-112-amp/6881204554.html

Peavey Scorpion speakers.

Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2019 5:29 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
Paul McEvoy wrote:

Peavey Scorpion speakers.

Thanks!

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 5 May 2019 10:31 am    

I have 9 different Peavey amps. For me, the best one is not one that was designed for steel guitar. It is their 100w Valve King 2 x 12" combo. I swapped out the 12" speakers and replaced them with a couple of Telonics 12" neo speakers. I think it's a great amp, now made more portable since the 2 neo's have been installed.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Joe Burke

Toronto, Canada
Post  Posted 8 May 2019 7:37 am    

I had a Peavey with the scorpion Speaker. I think it had a 15. Loved it. Sounded warm and louder than I ever needed. I stopped playing in the band where I used it, so sold it. It was ugly in my living room, but I miss it. [/quote]

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 8 May 2019 9:31 am    

For about a year my go to is a Peavey Encore 65. All tube, a surprising amount of warm, clean headroom, and has a presence control ( no mid shift) which is important to me.
Doesn't have a huge bottom end like a Nashville, but truthfully, it comes across more defined when playing live. Tube reverb!
Recently paired it with a Travis Toy which seems to have thickened the top end and given the whole amp more clarity than the neo Eminence I had in there. Has been more than loud enough for any situation I've found myself in.

Last edited by Jack Stanton on 9 May 2019 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2019 6:23 pm    

I use a 1986 Studio Pro 50 a lot. I changed the speaker to a Telonics Neo 8-ohm. This amp is enough to play most gigs that i'm doing now. It's got sweet reverb, has saturation control to add some thickness when needed and is as clean as I can ask for. I just used it at a gig where I was playing non-pedal and the tone was so good I am amazed. Magic. But, that's my opinion. YMMV.
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2019 8:17 pm    

No brainer... These can be had all day for $75-100, they are warm and wonderful sounding, NOT sterile at all, great reverb, absolutely bulletproof, anvil like reliability, 210 watts RMS, LOUD, clean and very flexible.. Light too.. use it with a single 15 and you have a great steel amp...
I have owned and used many tube heads for steel over the years from Peavey, Traynor, Rivera, Music Man and Fender.. The ONLY ones that I would take over this model Peavey are older Fenders from the mid 60's early 70's...
The original silver knob Peavey Musician is the best solid state amp I have ever used for pedal steel..The are simply magical.. The later ones with the slider EQ are a waste in comparison.. They don't sound anything like the early ones... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 9 May 2019 9:04 pm    

The Peavey Stereo Chorus 212 is a killer amp! Louder than you will ever need (2 12inch speakers push a lot more air than one 15")

It's crazy clean and loud with no solid state sterility. Effects are amazing.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=242525&highlight=

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2019 2:02 am    

Reno 400