The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  HELP!! Tuning NIGHTMARE!!!!
Robbie Bossert

WESCOSVILLE,PA,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2019 11:53 am    

This in on a Fesseden D-10. 4 th string (E) when trying to raise to an F# with the C pedal. I tune it open. The F# is flat. I back off a bit on the open to get F# close to where it needs to be and the E is sharp. I backed the nust all the way out and retuned gradually but to no avail. I notice too that when tuning at the bridge, it's raising my open string and I don't recall that ever being an issue before.

I checked the rollers for binding but it was all clear. I checked the undercarriage to see if anything was hung up but it seems to be fine... I'm out ideas guys... Any suggestions?

Robbie Bossert

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2019 12:04 pm    

Ideas? Yup, string gauge wrong (too light) or not enough movement of the pull rod. If the string is the correct gauge, either change the pull rod to a hole farther from the axle, or adjust the stop to increase the throw of the cross shaft.

Robbie Bossert

WESCOSVILLE,PA,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2019 2:05 pm    

Hey Donny,
Thanks for the input... I use SIT Emmons Signature Series strings. It's a 14 gauge string. I did move the rod down one hole lower at the bridge because it right up against the F lever rod to the point where I could barely get the tuning wrenct on the nuts..... What gauge do some of you other guys out there use on your 4th string...??

Thanks Again Donny

Robbie

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2019 2:53 pm    

Robbie - Read Jon Light's "sticky" about overtuning.

It's on the top of the Pedal Steel page.

That may be your problem.

An .014 is the correct gauge for that string.

Robbie Bossert

WESCOSVILLE,PA,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2019 5:25 am    

Donny-Changed the gauge and that did seem to help a bit.

Lee- Went through the steps on Jon's fantastic and informative article on the subject and that seems to have done the trick...

Thanks again guys........

Robbie

J Fletcher

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2019 2:05 pm    

Glad it's sorted out. You do realize that moving the pull rod into a lower hole caused the problem , right?

Robbie Bossert

WESCOSVILLE,PA,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 5:13 pm    

J,
No I didn't realize that because I've been playing this guitar for over 2 years without any issue. This came on quick brother! Playing like a charm now so I'll be prepared shoud this happen again...

Robbie

J Fletcher

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2019 5:37 am    

Excellent. If you move any rods to different holes in the changer again , you will probably run into the problem again. The different holes have different amounts of leverage. Can't tell from your response if you understand that.