The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help with Connecting chords up and down the Fret Board.
Mike Heavner

Fallston,N.C.
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2019 7:52 am    

I've been a member of the forum for years and this is my 2nd go around trying to learn to play the PSG. 1ST Time I went about it the wrong way and learned to play tab and not learning the Instrument like I should have. This Time I really want to learn it the right way with your help and advise.
I want to know how to familiarize myself up and down the neck connecting the chords. For example, If I'm in the 3rd fret in the key of G No pedals, I know if I press A & B down that gives me the key of C and up 2 frets from there Is D. After that I'm Lost. I don't know how to go up the neck to continue playing a song and whether to press pedals down or leave them up and what fret to go to. To a lot of you this may seem easy but I'm really struggling here. Is there some sort of pattern I can use to make it easier to understand or how you guys learned to know where every chord is up and down The neck and what pedals and fret to be in in order to get the chord your looking for?
Any help or advise is greatly appreciated.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2019 8:02 am    

Here's a pattern of I IV V changes using the A and B pedals and the F lever. I'm showing it in the key of G.
Tab:
number:   I   IV   V    I   IV  V   I    IV   V   I
chord:    G   C    D    G   C   D   G    C    D   G
position: 3  3AB  5AB  6AF  8  10  10AB 11AF 13AF 15

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2019 8:52 am    

b0b wrote:
Here's a pattern of I IV V changes using the A and B pedals and the F lever. I'm showing it in the key of G.
Tab:
number:   I   IV   V    I   IV  V   I    IV   V   I
chord:    G   C    D    G   C   D   G    C    D   G
position: 3  3AB  5AB  6AF  8  10  10AB 11AF 13AF 15

That is a great little graphic.
Another simple concept you can glean from looking at b0b’s chart is the 3-4-5 fret space between major chord grips. No-pedals G is at fret 3, then go up 3 frets and there’s another G (AF) at fret 6, go up 4 frets from there and it is at 10 (AB), then go up 5 frets to the octave no-pedals G at 15.

The same idea holds for C and D and any other major chord, but at different frets of course. You can practice a single chord up and down the neck.

Michael Meader

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2019 9:32 am    

I have 30 years experience playing 6 string guitar, but the winnie winston book along with the paul franklin method are really helping me alot.

Justin Emmert

Greensboro, NC
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2019 4:51 pm    

You really should invest in the Paul Franklin method. Your question is exactly what I've been working on. Not only do i have his videos and text lessons available at anytime for reference, but he personally answers questions and critiques my videos on the private Facebook group for members of the PF method. I have cleared up years of mistakes and confusion in just 2 months.

Mike Heavner

Fallston,N.C.
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2019 7:34 am    

Thank you all so Much.