Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wow! there's a whole lesson course in here from Franklin
Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 20 Apr 2019 11:27 am    

click here

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2019 11:31 am    

If that kid keeps practicing he could actually grow up to be something.

David Zornes

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2019 4:59 pm     Franklin

That kind of looks like Wayne Hobbs. He worked with Barbara at that time. Paul had an Afro hairdo at that time; I think.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2019 5:54 pm    

That Irlene is such a show-off. Sheesh.
Embarassed Smile

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2019 2:05 am    

Doesn't look like Paul, to me.

Bob Lawrence

Beaver Bank, Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2019 6:29 am    

That's not Paul Franklin playing this MSA

Franklin D10, Telonics (E9)True Tone(C6) pickups, Fender Steel King , Evans (FET 500LV), Nashville 400, Quilter MicroBlock 45 amp's, Telonics FP100 volume pedal, PodXT(effects only), Boss RV3(delay & reverb),Steel Guitar Black Box,Bill Lawrence cables, Walker Seat,Peterson Flip Tuner, IVL Steel Rider, IK Multimedia IRig Pro DUO for recording.

Jim Park

Carson City, Nv
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2019 10:46 am    

It absolutely is Paul Franklin...

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2019 10:54 am    

It's Paul. See previous discussions, including comments by Steve Hinson, Tommy White, and Paul himself.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=215316

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=310295

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=197166

Bob Lawrence

Beaver Bank, Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2019 1:12 pm    

re:It's Paul. See previous discussions, including comments by Steve Hinson, Tommy White, and Paul himself.

Ok I'll take Paul's word that it's him LOL
Franklin D10, Telonics (E9)True Tone(C6) pickups, Fender Steel King , Evans (FET 500LV), Nashville 400, Quilter MicroBlock 45 amp's, Telonics FP100 volume pedal, PodXT(effects only), Boss RV3(delay & reverb),Steel Guitar Black Box,Bill Lawrence cables, Walker Seat,Peterson Flip Tuner, IVL Steel Rider, IK Multimedia IRig Pro DUO for recording.

Franklin

Post  Posted 21 Apr 2019 8:37 pm    

I was 17 and that was the MSA Maurice gave me. Jerry Lane Reid was on guitar with the broken arm and Randy Hilman on bass. We were Barbara's first band...We all left a few months after that show.

Julian Tharpe took my place in the same year along with Les Sneed, Danny's brother on guitar and Rick Boyer who married Irlene.... and a couple years later Wayne Hobbs and Jack Mollette joined her band right after he and Buddy Charlton left Ernest Tubb....Jack was a huge influence on my formative years...A monster musician.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2019 7:59 am    

One point about this clip that has always intrigued me (apart from Paul F's incredible head of hair) is that he is obviously pick blocking, yet there is an element of chicken pickin' going on. Perhaps this was a transitional period in his playing.

Buddy Emmons came to the UK years ago, and would tell anyone who would listen about this "incredible 14 year old kid from Detroit called Paul Franklin". He said that Paul had incredible skill technique-wise but just needed a few more years to absorb more musicality and he would have it all.

Likewise, later Maurice Anderson came over here to stay with me and to do a series of seminars throughout the UK. I took the opportunity to ask him about Paul, who had just moved to Nashville, and Maurice said that Paul would dominate the steel guitar session work in Nashville for many years. Maurice was certainly a guy who could see into the future, as was Buddy.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 8 May 2019 6:39 am    

That really can’t be an MSA guitar. It don’t sound dark and awful. I guess it’s the Indian and not the arrows after all !This clip is certainly an inspiration to practice more!