The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  When do you change strings?
Daniel Phelps

Versailles, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2019 2:18 am    

How often do you change strings?

It has been a while for me, probably 8 months of playing time.

I don't see any reason to change, but I just feel like I should have by now.

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2019 4:22 am    

My psg doesn’t leave the house, so I’m not anything more than a “hobby” player. About every 3-4months I change them regardless, on my e9th, because it gets played the most.
If I notice any tuning issues or premature wear/deadening, I would be prompted to change them sooner? This is only my preference and not in any way a rule or guideline to maintenance, thanks.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2019 4:32 am    

Hi Daniel. Players have different regiments concerning string changes. My own is about every 6 months or so for new sets. I play a few times a week and a couple weekends a month.

Otherwise, if strings start sounding like a sitar or won't stay in tune, it's time to change them.

When I played out a lot, I would change just strings 3 and 5 after about 4 sets as insurance against breaking in the middle of a tune. When I played every weekend, I would probably change the sets more like every 3 months.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2019 4:36 am    

The strings on my S10 Marlen have been on it since I bought it 6 years ago... Never broke a string, even a 3rd, and they still sound good and stay in tune.. Does not get played daily any longer but it is played regularly.. Every once in a while i wipe them down with an oily rag... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2019 4:45 am    

Bob you kill me with a common sense approach. I do about the same. If there's a tuning issue or tone problem I change strings. And I do change 3 & 5 more often instead of whole sets. I wipe mine every time I play.

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2019 5:04 am    

I play about 2 hrs weekly Wed & Sun services, Change mine about every 3 to 4 months unless one starts to zing.

Paul Pearson

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2019 5:17 am     String changing

Bill I'm about the same as you about every 3 months I have a guitar set up in church and one that I use to play out with it gets new string about 6 to 8 weeks

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2019 5:55 am    

I practice about an hour a day, play at an open mic weekly and an awesome monthly Blues & Brews jam. I change my strings every four to six weeks.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2019 5:57 am    

I change "generally" monthly. That's about 20 to 25 hours of playing. Its not so much the strings are dead, just avoiding string breakage on a show from metal fatigue.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2019 6:21 am    

When I was gigging regularly (1-2 times a week), I would change a whole set every 2 to 3 months. But, I would change the 3rd and 5th string 1 or 2 times in between whole set changes to prevent breakage. If the 3rd and 5th sound too out of place to the rest of the strings, I will change them all. And also, I will change any string if it starts sounding funky or is hard to tune and keep in tune.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2019 6:34 am    

Sigmund Fraud once said you can't make them change as they have to want to change on their own.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2019 6:50 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
I change "generally" monthly. That's about 20 to 25 hours of playing. Its not so much the strings are dead, just avoiding string breakage on a show from metal fatigue.

which is my primary reason as well to change entire sets , maybe 3 months, 3 + 5 on the E9th every two weeks.

$4000 guitar, $20 /strings

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Rich Peterson

Moorhead, MN
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2019 7:45 am    

Local player installed a mechanical counter on his B pedal, kept track of how many pulls it took before 5th string broke. Then he changed that string before it wore out.

Jonathan Cullifer

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2019 10:25 am    

They sound good to me for about 25 hours of playing. I like new strings, and can tell a change in the sound of the plain strings after the first 10 hours or so.

In practice, I change them before an important gig or if I have trouble keeping them in tune. Haven't broken a string in 12 years.

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2019 10:46 am    

Usually somewhere from 2-4 weeks. I very rarely change just one string. Sometimes I'll swap one out shortly after putting it on, if it's not being cooperative or sounds weird.

I switched to a .015 for the 4th string a while back, which to me really helps in preventing that whiney sound that can happen on that string. But the other thing is the consistency of the NYXL's. There have been other strings I liked, but every once in a while you get a corroded, or saggy looking string and that's no good.

I have noticed a strange phenomena with newer guitars vs vintage guitars (fretted and steel guitars). The older the instrument the more tolerant it is to older strings. I'm not sure why that is but it's pretty consistent with all my vintage guitars.

James Quillian

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2019 5:40 pm    

I only change strings when they break. So, most strings never get changed. As a matter of fact, I bought my guitar 8 years ago so there are strings on this guitar that could be antiques.

When I do change a broken string it is one that I buy in bulk from China.

I sometimes wonder how good my guitar would sound if I was a responsible steel player and changed strings like everybody else.

I am telling you. I am cheap. I buy guitar picks from China for a price of 100 for $1.00. In my lifetime, I have never paid more than $10 for a hat. I only wear shoes I buy at garage sales. I am so cheap my shoes squeak when I walk. How do I make up lick? I copy the sounds my squeaky shoes make.

Right now, I am trying to develop a unique sound, the dead string sound. I will be the only one in the world to master it.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2019 9:27 pm    

Rich Peterson wrote:
Local player installed a mechanical counter on his B pedal, kept track of how many pulls it took before 5th string broke. Then he changed that string before it wore out.

Well it would be interesting to hear how many pulls it took! And did he compare different string brands? Inquiring minds want to know! Smile

(BTW, I assume you meant he counted how many pulls until the THIRD (not 5th) string broke...)

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2019 1:13 am    

Jim Cohen wrote:
Rich Peterson wrote:

Well it would be interesting to hear how many pulls it took! And did he compare different string brands? Inquiring minds want to know! Smile

(BTW, I assume you meant he counted how many pulls until the THIRD (not 5th) string broke...)

A couple of weeks ago I decided to change the 3rd string ahead of a gig,( on stage) I couldn't remember if I had changed it or not. We always have maybe 45 min before show time after set-up so I changed the 3rd string.

I didn't need a counter, it broke on the first B pedal push ! Whoa! Laughing It broke at the ball end. The next one is still on the guitar, go figure. Same string brand, same lot, same gauge .

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2019 6:56 am    

I'm playing my C neck more and more these days but, for me, the older the strings the better they sound. The last C6 string change was way back when I had the guitar overhauled - that way, someone else had the aggravation of doing it.

E9: I leave the wound strings on for as long as I can. If I'm working steadily then I'm fanatical about changing the 3rd and the 5th at least once a week (this is assuming an eight-show schedule). Since moving to an .012" 3rd string many years ago I've only lost a third when it's come from a bad batch. As Tony found, if it's going to pop it'll pop at the first use of the B pedal.

The 5th? That's another story. It's my view that, while I can still get around E9 without the high G# (at least temporarily), if the 5th string breaks then you're dead in the water. It's at the heart of almost everything I play. I therefore change that 5th more often than necessary if anything - I dread losing it mid-show.

Jerry Horch

Alva, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2019 5:19 am    

Once a month....more often when playing every weekend.Been trying most of the "steel" sets brands going now.I dont know if its the brand or just the individual set I put on that has greater longevity . To my ear,I hear and feel them rubberizing fairly quick. Climate here is of course humid all the time....but our guitars here in SW Fl.are usually cribbed in air conditioning.I think thats a factor.Ive been on Jaguars for a while.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2019 6:58 am    

I'm in West Central Florida. Humidity here too. I use George L's on my D-10 Franklin. I've tried almost every brand and keep going back to the George L's.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2019 7:03 am    

I just changed the E9 strings on my Emmons (Jagwires with PF's gauges) - I have rehearsals tomorrow for a five-week run of 'Patsy'.

I didn't touch the C6 strings - they're sounding nice and dead!

As I've just returned from a 16-day UK holiday I think I need to woodshed a little bit... Whoa!

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2019 11:25 am    

Well, I usually get 8 gigs out of a set on my Emmons, and 10-12 on my Mullen. That's wiping them off every couple songs. But, I have an unusual way of knowing when my strings are shot: I usually hit more "clinkers" when my strings get old, because they lose their "evenness" in volume, and then it causes me to try & compensate with my picking hand. I also subconsciously avoid subtle licks & hit more of my "go-to" comfort zone licks. Then, after that, they don't intonate or sustain well, & I find myself adding more delay or reverb to compensate.
Because of crummy Florida gig pay, I have been "stretching' how long my strings last, and will play them now till they are unplayable. Got almost 20 gigs on the Emmons this month, then I could no longer take it!
FWIW, I noticed my strings lasting longer when I went from playing through a 15" speaker, to playing through a Peavey Classic 30 with a 12" speaker. How could this be, you ask? The 12" has more high end, which is the first thing to go when strings get old, and the smaller speaker compensates for that.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2019 10:34 pm     When do you change strings.

I started back gigging in September 2018, I play a house band sometimes 4 hours on Friday night and 1 to 1 1/2 hour show on Saturday night. With practice and working on new songs it takes its toll on my strings.
I write the date on string change on a new pack that I put in my seat. Every 30 days or so I change strings to keep those strange little sounds from coming old strings.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2019 10:35 pm     Re: When do you change strings.

Bobby D. Jones wrote:
I started back gigging in September 2018, I play a house band sometimes 4 hours on Friday night and 1 to 1 1/2 hour show on Saturday night. With practice and working on new songs it takes its toll on my strings.
I write the date on string change on a new pack that I put in my seat. Every 30 days or so I change strings to keep those strange little sounds from coming from old strings.