The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Tolex
Kevin Maki

Trimountain,MI. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2019 4:13 pm    

Going to recover my NV400 tomorrow with new Tolex. I have the old tolex removed and the cabinet all cleaned up. Have the new material and glue,and have been watching a number of YouTube videos on the process. It looks pretty straight forward, but does anyone that has tackled this type of project have any helpful hints ?

Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2019 5:31 pm    

Measure the cab with a cloth tape, lay the tolex on a flat surface with cardboard under it. After measuring/marking the back, cut the tolex with a knife using a metal edge for a guide. Don't use scissors! Lay the cabinet on the material, and mark where it will be installed on the tolex. Apply plenty of glue to both sides, (If any squeeze out, it can be cleaned later). After glue is tacky, put cab on your marks, and roll tolex from center to the edge. Trim excess tolex front and rear.
Now you're done!

Kevin Maki

Trimountain,MI. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2019 6:22 pm     New Tolex

Thanks for your input Bill ! I'll post some pics if it turns out !

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2019 10:27 pm    

When I did my 400 the old Tolex came off in virtually one piece, so I just used that as a template.Use a good quality glue and plenty of it.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2019 2:13 am    

I've built a lot of cases/speaker cabs, etc. I've found the best adhesive for Tolex is the Tolex glue that is sold by Antique Radio and Mojotone. Its "pricier" than the others but considering how well it works, its worth it. I just ordered some from Antique Radio for a new speaker cabinet I'm building.

I tried the DAP glue and it was a disaster. I've also tried spray glue and didn't care for it either.

Here are some good instructions

http://guitarkitbuilder.com/how-apply-tolex-guitar-amplifier-cabinet/

Kevin Maki

Trimountain,MI. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2019 4:23 am     New Tolex

Thank you Malcolm ! The tolex came off of mine in one piece also,so I may use it for a template as you suggested. Thank you Jack ! The link you directed me to is very helpful ! Hopefully it's a successful operation ! Lol !

Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2019 6:32 am    

Rick Johnson has a very detailed video on how to apply tolex to a cabinet. I have 3 of his cabinets and his work is top notch. I bought his video when I decided to recover my Fender Super Reverb. The many tips and tricks he includes more than makes it worth the price. It is available for purchase on his website. Maybe others here can comment on the quality of this video. Many can comment on the quality of his work.

Kevin Maki

Trimountain,MI. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2019 7:50 am     New Tolex

Thanks for your input Jim ! I finished the tolex project yesterday and will post a few pics tomorrow when I get the hardware back on.

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2019 7:55 am    

I don't know what Fender is using to glue Tolex these days but it's no good. I've got a Hot Rod Deville and the Tolex seams on the top panel are not sealed at all. It was like that brand new and I've seen others with the same issue. You'd think they'd have that worked out by this time, they've been around for awhile.

Bill A. Moore

Post  Posted 17 Apr 2019 9:30 am    

Bill, I have fixed a few cabs that have that problem. I run "painter's" tape parallel to the seam to catch any excess. Lift the seam, and with a small brush reapply adhesive, (I keep them apart with toothpicks), and when tacky, press back together. After a day, lift the tape.

Kevin Maki

Trimountain,MI. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2019 1:18 pm     New Tolex

Here it is..think it turned out pretty good !

Bill A. Moore

Post  Posted 17 Apr 2019 2:38 pm    

Good job!

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2019 6:05 pm    

Looks great!

Kevin Maki

Trimountain,MI. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2019 6:08 pm     New Tolex

Thank you ! I'm happy with it !

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2019 12:46 pm    

Quote:
Bill, I have fixed a few cabs that have that problem. I run "painter's" tape parallel to the seam to catch any excess. Lift the seam, and with a small brush reapply adhesive, (I keep them apart with toothpicks), and when tacky, press back together. After a day, lift the tape.

Thanks Bill, I may try that. My amp looks brand new except for that fault. It would be nice to see a good tight seam.