The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  cabnet drop?
Eddie Freeman

Natchez Mississippi
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2019 9:04 am    

Recently got hold of an old Pro111 custom D10 Bud and after cleaning it up , new strings etc, I cant detect any cabinet drop at all, even with the E raised along with the 1st floor pedal engaged the 6th string shows no drop to my ears and the meter needle doesn't move. I've had several PSGs before and they all had some cabinet drop. Has any one else had this on their Steels or do I have the only one.
Now I've never had a Sho Bud before, so do they all have zero C D, or is this something special?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2019 9:37 am    

No, some guitars have more and some have less. Most all the time, it's a non-issue when actually playing. The actual problem has several causes, like cabinet flex, changer axle flex, and problems at the nut and key-end of the guitar. (My Fender doesn't have any at all, due to the unique body, frame and changer.) A heavy foot on the pedals will cause some drop on most guitars, and that's a major cause most of the time.

To "see" actual body flex on your guitar, hook up your tuner, pick the 5th string, and then press down hard on the center of the body at the 12th fret with your thumb while watching the tuner. Winking

Mike Christensen

Cook Minnesota
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2019 6:14 pm     cabinet drop

Have had a Pro III and a 76 LDG, which I wish I still had, and neither had a significant,noticeable,amount of cabinet drop. If not for electronic tuner probably would not hear it all. My Williams 600 has none.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2019 10:27 am    

If you have no cabinet drop, does that mean you can tune everything straight up ET?

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2019 6:08 am    

I experienced cabinet drop with a Sho~Bud.
I broke two knee lever brackets in the process. Rolling Eyes
Erv

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2019 6:57 am    

Fred Treece wrote:
If you have no cabinet drop, does that mean you can tune everything straight up ET?
Yes, and no.
Having no cabinet drop detuning tendencies on a PSG just means that whatever tuning you choose will stay stable when you push pedals/levers. If you like ET absolute stability is of course an advantage, as strings then won't shift into more beatless tonal relationships while playing.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2019 7:17 am    

I built a s10 sho bud from ShoBud parts from a pro lll Bud an she had 0 cabinet drop if anything she gained a cent or two Showed it to Harry an David Jackson they could not believe it.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2019 9:18 am    

Fred Treece wrote:

Nope. There is no method of tuning that will make everything sound in-tune at every fret and with every pedal combination. All methods are a compromise, and that is why your ear is the most important tool for tuning. It's also why one person's tuning method will never work for everyone else.