Author Topic:  South Carolina Steel Guitar Convention
James Grindstaf

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2019 10:35 am    

Looking forward to attending.

Frank Speights

Jackson, Ga USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2019 1:09 pm     Steel Show

If the Good Lord is willing and my Ford cranks my wife and I will there for the Sunday portion. I maybe bringing a friend of mine I was in the Army with in 80s at Ft Bragg, NC.

Buck Reid

Nashville,TN
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2019 7:24 am    

Brian,

Thanks for the invitation and for posting all the information here. I am very much looking forward to attending and seeing everyone!

Those interested in the Workshop on May 11th from 11a - 3p, please email me at buckreid@comcast.net for more information.

Come out and support this event folks!

Best,
Buck

Brian Christiano

Columbia, South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2019 8:00 am     Re: Steel Show

Frank Speights wrote:
If the Good Lord is willing and my Ford cranks my wife and I will there for the Sunday portion. I maybe bringing a friend of mine I was in the Army with in 80s at Ft Bragg, NC.

Frank, I will put you on the schedule. Morning or afternoon? And what is your friend's name? And is he a PSG player? His name?

1992 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10, 1971 Martin D-28, 1959 Gretsch Country Club, 1964 Fender Band-Master, Peavey Nashville 400, Peavey Classic 30, Harlow reso

Coordinator for the South Carolina Steel Guitar Convention held in West Columbia, SC. May/Nov each year. Held at Bill's Music Shop and Pickin' Parlor.

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 13 Apr 2019 8:04 am     Buck Reid Workshop

Buck Reid will be giving a PSG workshop on Saturday from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m.

It will be a classroom format, no instruments. Bring something to record with. I am bringing my video camera to record but you may want to provide your own so you get what is of interest to YOU....

After the workshop we will have a PSG jam session with the band from ~2 p.m. until 6 p.m.

This is shaping up to be a great show.

1992 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10, 1971 Martin D-28, 1959 Gretsch Country Club, 1964 Fender Band-Master, Peavey Nashville 400, Peavey Classic 30, Harlow reso

Coordinator for the South Carolina Steel Guitar Convention held in West Columbia, SC. May/Nov each year. Held at Bill's Music Shop and Pickin' Parlor.

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 13 Apr 2019 8:07 am    

Ben Lawson wrote:
Thanks Brian. Wayne Smith and I plan on being there.

Ben, confirming our schedule. Are you and Wayne still on for the show? We'll provide a slot if you are.

Saturday 2-6 is the jam session.

r/

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2019 7:33 pm    

Brian, I just spoke to Wayne and he's not comfortable traveling due to some health issues. I don't think I will be able to make it in May either. We'll have to wait to see how things go for November.
Thanks.

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 16 Apr 2019 1:42 am    

Ben Lawson wrote:
Brian, I just spoke to Wayne and he's not comfortable traveling due to some health issues. I don't think I will be able to make it in May either. We'll have to wait to see how things go for November.
Thanks.

Thanks Ben. We'll miss you both.

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2019 10:10 pm    

Brian, I spoke to Wayne and he decided not to miss the show. I hope you still have room for us.

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 18 Apr 2019 5:09 am    

Ben Lawson wrote:
Brian, I spoke to Wayne and he decided not to miss the show. I hope you still have room for us.

Yes we do. Are you planning on coming in on Saturday or the jam as well?

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 18 Apr 2019 5:35 am     SC Steel Guitar Convention Website

We are excited about this show, the first to be held in Columbia, SC at Bill's Music Shop and Pickin' Parlor, a very well known music venue.

We have created both a FB page and a website.
The website is: http://scsteelguitar.com/
I urge you to check it out. You won't be disappointed.

Come join us for the show, which is what I consider a new venture for Pedal Steel Guitar but also an extension of the Southern Steel Guitar Convention which endured for 30+ years thanks to Jerry Reece and Joe Turner.

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2019 6:50 am    

We plan on being there both days.

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 18 Apr 2019 1:08 pm    

Ben Lawson wrote:
We plan on being there both days.

Great. Look forward to seeing you both.... like family, only better.....

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2019 9:11 pm    

Getting close!

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 8:02 am    

Can't be there Saturday (wish I could, would love to get in on Buck's workshop), but have a gig. I'll see you Sunday, though!

Buck Reid

Nashville,TN
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2019 11:42 am    

Just a couple weeks away now and we're looking forward to seeing everyone! Still seats available for the "Workshop" on Saturday from 11am - 2pm ... please email me at buckreid@comcast.net for more info.

Lot's of great talent folks... hope to see YOU there!!

https://www.facebook.com/events/221109578794674/

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 29 Apr 2019 11:29 am     SC Steel Guitar Convention Coming up fast

Just a couple of weeks away now folks!

Some great players, singers, and awesome house band to back up the talented players.

As Buck Reid has said, get your seat set up for the workshop; learn those finer points of PSG from a master picker.

Plan to attend. Going to be a great event. Very Happy Whoa!

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 29 Apr 2019 11:53 am     Flyer

Thanks to Staci's hard work, here is the flyer....

Bill Nicholson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2019 12:58 pm     South Carolina Stel Guitar Convention - less than 2 weeks

I look forward to playing this new show and seeing all my South Carolina friends....as well as steel guitar friends from all over. As some of you know, my wife and I moved to Fair Play South Carolina officially last year but we have still been moving our "stuff" the last few months. It is really great that this show has Buck on it for the first show. I am playing in Hiawassee Georgia (my hometown) on Saturday night but I hope to make it to Columbia by noon. Bob Strickland is going to sing a special song on my set. See everyone soon.

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 2 May 2019 4:34 am     The Clock is Ticking

Just over a week until this great event!

Make sure your vehicle is gassed, charged, and packed to attend this event. You don't want to miss it!

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 4 May 2019 5:06 am     Buck Reid Workshop

I have had a question or two regarding the workshop.

From Buck... the workshop will be geared to all levels, starting with the basics and based on the class level, questions, etc. he will adjust the class curriculum for the audience.

Also, he has respectfully requested audio recording devices only, no video. (Buck is camera shy.... Very Happy Very Happy )

Looking forward to seeing all or you there...

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 9 May 2019 3:41 am     The Clock is Ticking

It's Thursday! That means one day and a wakeup before we hear PSG at Bill's Music Shop and Pickin' Parlor in West Columbia for the 1st SC Steel Guitar Convention with guest artist, Buck Reid.

We have a great lineup of players from VA, NC, SC, GA, and FL for this one.

Jam on Saturday from 2 - 6 p.m.

Dance from 7 - 9 p.m. with a couple of the players sitting in with the house band, Bob Strickland, Steve Alonzo Walker, Jimmy Graddick (SC fiddler of the year). Not sure who will be playing drums for this set, but he will be awesome.

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 10 May 2019 8:58 pm     It's Here

The Steel Guitar Convention is here for SC. Buck Reid arrived today and is ready for his workshop. We're ready to do the jam and dance tomorrow after Buck's workshop.

The player lineup for Sunday is as follows (subject to change if necessary):
Time Slot Player
10:30 AM John Swain
11:00 AM Ben Lawson
11:30 AM Ozie Strosnider
12:00 PM Brian Boswell
12:30 PM Steve Alonzo Walker
1:00 PM Larry Moore
1:30 PM Roger Crawford
2:00 PM Buck Reid
2:30 PM Buck Reid
3:00 PM Chuck Campbell
3:30 PM Kenny Martin
4:00 PM Bill Nicolson
4:30 PM Frank Speights

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 11 May 2019 3:53 am     player lineup

I received word that Larry Moore will not be attending so I will insert someone into the lineup tomorrow. Keep you guessing for now, but it will be good.....

Steel Guitar Day is here at Bill's Music Shop[/b]

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 11 May 2019 4:39 am    

Brian, I'd like to take Larry Moore's slot.