The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Updated webpage takes more than a day to refresh...
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2019 7:19 am    

Our webmaster has updated one of our website pages and sometimes it can take more than 24 hours for me to see the new update. I have deleted my cache, pressed CTRLF5 and still only see the older version. Eventually (2-3 days) I'll see the new version but it's very frustrating not to be able to see it sooner. This is true on all 3 browsers I have tried it on! So I thought maybe it had something to do with my ISP, Comcast, but I called them and they knew nothing about this. (BTW, I CAN see the new version on my cellphone, which is an Android running on VerizonWireless.)

FWIW, I'm running a Dell Inspiron 660 desktop with Windows10 Home version.

Any thoughts on how to solve this problem?

TYIA.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2019 7:38 am    

Try using an alternate browser. I keep Firefox and Chrome on all my computers. Sometimes one browser may hold on to its cache longer than another.

I use a licensed version of CCleaner to delete browser cache for Chrome, Firefox and Edge. This happens as soon as the browser is closed. Reopening the browsers forces them to download all content afresh.

Most browsers have a privacy settings area in their options. One of those settings is to delete the cache when the browser is closed.

You can do more than clear your browser. You can input different DNS Servers into your router. I am currently using Google's DNS Servers: 8.8.4.4 and Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1. Previously, I was using OpenDns servers: 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2019 7:40 am    

Thanks, Wiz, but as stated above, the same problem happens on all 3 browsers (Chrome, Firefox and MS Edge) and I did clear caches on all 3 of them.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2019 8:02 am    

The plot thickens!

I just got the refreshed page on Edge - but ONLY by opening an "in-private" browser!

So I tried the same with Chrome and Firefox but it did not help on those two browsers, which are still displaying the old page...

Significance...?

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2019 1:02 pm    

As I often update pages on my sites, I also quite often have to delete most of my browser's data in order to check that the complete updates have gone through to the server…

Varies how it's done on various browsers. The screenshot above is from my main browser these days: Vivaldi.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2019 1:03 pm    

Thanks. As stated above, I know how to clear my browser cache and have done so on 3 different browsers. Perhaps you're making a more nuanced point here?

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2019 1:11 pm    

Only that clearing cache isn't always enough, so I clear everything except what I need to get things like this forum up and running again.

FWIW; I also rely on the Google's DNS Server: 8.8.4.4.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2019 1:13 pm    

Yes I cleared pretty much everything except for passwords.

Is there a hint in the fact that the private browser worked on one browser (but not on the others)?

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2019 1:24 pm    

Some browsers definitely are more persistent than others. Good thing we do not have to deal with IE-Mac anymore Smile

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2019 8:14 pm    

I used to have my websites on Cloudflare. I would update HTML, CSS and JavaScript files, refresh my browsers until I was blue in the face, but didn't see the changes for hours or a day. I eventually learned to disable caching by using Development Mode. This mode lasted 2 hours, I believe. During that time I could edit files, upload them and see the changes instantly.

You may or may not have your websites on Cloudflare, but your ISP could be caching your regularly requested pages. That's one reason to change the DNS servers that your router is using; to anywhere but your own ISP.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog