The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Never Say Never? Paul Franklin's C6 Essentials Course!
John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2019 12:29 pm    

Thanks so much to all the players who attended Paul's seminar at the Texas Steel Guitar Association Jamboree. Paul covered a lot of material that day, but one surprising thing stuck out...the amount of players wanting to learn the C6 tuning.

Back when Jeff Newman and Paul taught seminars together, they often asked the crowd "Who here plays C6?", and a few hands went up. Then they asked "Who here wants to play C6?"...and very few hands went up.

In Dallas, Paul asked the same question, and was quite surprised and delighted to see that half the room said they already played some C6. When he asked who wanted to...the other half of the room raised their hands!

Here's a clip of the seminar highlights: Paul in Dallas

Paul has said in the past that he did not think a "Beginning C6" course was needed, but since the seminar - when 40+ new and experienced players wanted to learn the C6 -he's changed his mind: "I think the time is right. The C6 tuning deserves a fresh look and a modern way to teach it. That approach is what I am offering in both the Method and now in my new C6 Essentials course."

Taken from selected lessons found in the complete Paul Franklin Method, the C6 Essentials course has videos, TABs, Practice Tracks and PDFs to get you familiar with the tuning itself and shows you where to find the sounds you need to play in any style. If you've been reluctant to tackle "the back neck", Paul will de-mystify it and get you into playing rich, lush harmonies and melodies you can apply to your music right away.

A 12-month subscription is just $99 and you can apply that towards the full Paul Franklin Method anytime within your enrollment period should you want to join the Method and continue your studies on both necks.

For more info, click here: C6 Essentials With Paul Franklin

Franklin

Post  Posted 13 Apr 2019 10:57 am    

Thanks to all,

After the seminar in Dallas, the overwhelming response for wanting to learn C6 inspired me to get this course out ASAP.

I believe todays musicians are initially coming into the fold of steel guitar, mostly as a secondary instrument. However they get here is awesome! They truly love the sonics and the heart of the instrument, as I do. My mission is to help grow their love for the C6..I believe I accomplish this by showing how easy this tuning is played!

Everything lays within a few frets or its also found all over the fretboard.....Musically, it is a universal tuning. I use the C6 for Country, Blues, Rock, Jazz, Swing, and Classical approaches....I use its lower strings for Cello parts on sessions, especially when the twang of plain strings is considered undesirable. I also can put a lot of highs/treble on those low strings and pick every string when I want to emulate a guitarists baritone approach, another great asset for learning the tuning on your D10's...Its hard to differentiate between the low strings on C6 and a Danelectro 6 string bass in a recording setting. A great tool for the arsenal.

My mission is to show everyone how to transfer their music knowledge from another instrument over to the C6 neck....

There are too many D10 players who leave the back neck untouched, mostly caused by these (decades old) passed down beliefs..Statements like "C6 is too hard" , "C6 doesn't relate to the E9th", or "C6 is only for playing Swing and Jazz." Those beliefs are everywhere and all of those statements are musically false...I would love it if everyone could see the tuning as I see it.....Its easy to play and completely versatile.... Thanks for joining!

Paul

Donald Horne

Huntington Beach, California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2019 4:24 pm    

Im so excited about this, I've always love the C6 and could never figure out why people only wanted to play half their guitar, but its so hard to find good content on the "back neck" Until now!! thanks so much for all the info you guys share!!!!