The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pay Pal
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2019 8:19 pm    

Bill Sinclair wrote:

Darn. As an occasional ebay seller, I think I'll have to adopt a NO RETURNS policy. The Paypal fee on the saxophone I just sold was $51.00. I can't afford that kind of hit just because somebody changed their mind.

Well, a lot of sellers have a "restocking fee". You could do the same and charge them a $50 (or even $51) restocking fee if they return the item.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 13 Apr 2019 7:30 am    

Quote:
PayPal is anti 2nd Amendment as it does not allow firearm or ammunition transactions. A Libtard outfit kinda like Google and Dick's Sporting Goods.....Just my subtle opinion.

I think this crosses the line into political commentary which is discouraged/banned here on the Forum...

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2019 6:36 pm    

Please note the "Consumer Affairs" link Donny posted is a private website - NOT the Department of Consumer Affairs.

FWIW Amazon.com is not "accredited" and most reviews are negative.

Ditto eBay

The site itself has zero credibility.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2019 7:03 pm    

Jim Sliff wrote:
Please note the "Consumer Affairs" link Donny posted is a private website - NOT the Department of Consumer Affairs.

FWIW Amazon.com is not "accredited" and most reviews are negative.

Ditto eBay

The site itself has zero credibility.

ConsumerAffairs.com looks like a shake-down scheme to me. They post a lot of negative stories and then charge companies a fee to become "accredited", which would presumably remove all of the 1-star reviews. Mad

George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2019 5:03 am     Seller protection too.

My PayPal is a Merchants account, which allows credit card purchase through an Invoice sent to the buyer.

If the purchase request looks Fishy, and they want to use a credit card, I alway say paypal, and that sends them running away if they are fraudulent.

PayPal Filters all of that criminal aspect on a sale. In my universe that helps a lot.

Hope this adds to the discussion.
YouTube Channel

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2019 6:30 am    

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
I've had it ever since I can remember,,,never had (and would NEVER) it connected to bank account,,,,I don't think you even "MUST" have a credit card,,,,I just try to keep enough in the account (from selling a few items) to cover purchases. I do have a small limit card as a back up.

You can also buy those PayPal gifts cards at many retail stores and use it to add money to your account
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 May 2019 8:09 am    

So, you don't have to link PayPal to a bank account, you can link it to a credit card? Well big whoopee. Muttering My big complaint with all "transaction services" is that they're basically charging me money for me to use my money. It's no different than making a cash purchase at a store, and having someone stand beside you saying "I'll hand the cashier your money, and I'll only charge you a small fee to do that". Using two services, a credit card and PayPal, makes things even worse and means that there's twice as much chance for data theft, and twice the "hit" on my money. Two firms get a chunk instead of one.

I think part of the problem is that social media these days makes everything addictive, and people use things like Twitter, Facebook, and PayPal, and never give a second thought to what's going on behind the scenes, what it's costing them, and also how it's affecting their minds. It almost seems like the internet has become little more that one big tool to get money from people.

Georg SΓΈrtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 12 May 2019 8:17 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:
I think part of the problem is that social media these days makes everything addictive, and people use things like Twitter, Facebook, and PayPal, and never give a second thought to what's going on behind the scenes, what it's costing them, and also how it's affecting their minds. It almost seems like the internet has become little more that one big tool to get money from people.
Sounds about right.

I often wish I was as dumb as I sometimes pretend to be about these matters.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2019 8:20 am    

I know what PayPal costs, and I'm fine with it. As with any service, you need to understand the cost. So many "free" things are email address harvesters - that's a cost! PayPal doesn't sell your email address; they charge you up front, and they are very clear about that.

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 12 May 2019 8:26 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:

I think part of the problem is that social media these days makes everything addictive, and people use things like Twitter, Facebook, and PayPal..........It almost seems like the internet has become little more that one big tool to get money from people.

Money and information, with the information being re-sold to make more money. Enjoy!!

Legislation related to public utilities, monopolies, and privacy rights are in play, but you have to wonder what action might ever be taken, given the billions of dollars profit generated that can then be sprinkled where most effective in Washington.

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2019 6:08 am    

b0b wrote:
I know what PayPal costs, and I'm fine with it. As with any service, you need to understand the cost. So many "free" things are email address harvesters - that's a cost! PayPal doesn't sell your email address; they charge you up front, and they are very clear about that.

I think somebody's already mentioned that they've been reliable for years and years. I used to be a skeptic, but not so much any more.

A week ago last Thursday, I went looking for a volume pot for a Warwick Thumb bass. The best price I could find was directly from Warwick, in Germany. I ordered it, paid via Paypal, and got it four days later, on Monday. Try doing THAT with cash!

--Al Evans

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 13 May 2019 7:07 am    

I bought used tape recorder with Paypal. It never showed up. Paypal eventually refunded my money.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 13 May 2019 10:15 pm    

Nearly 30 years ago before most people had a computer I use to take my PC to this brick and mortar computer shop in Longview, Tx. I had them fix 3 or 4 computer problems and I bought some hardware from them. About 6 months after my last visit I read in the paper the owner hacked into a local bank there and moved $60,000 of the banks money into his personal account. Lol!
He was very smart but wasn't smart enough because he got caught. He might still be doing time for all I know. I've used PayPal nearly 20 years and it's tied to my bank account. Only had one problem recently where someone moved $600.00 from my local bank account into my PayPal account. I noticed when I checked my email in the morning because they notified me I had moved the money. I didn't so I called PayPal and had my PayPal account frozen and had them send the money back to my local bank. The only people I know with enough information to do that is PayPal employees. If I had gave them enough time they might have drawn it out of PayPay. My safe guard is only putting enough money in PayPal to make a transaction. Most of the time I keep less than $5.00 in that account. I do most of my banking at home. Banks get robbed.