The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Creating a solo set
Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2019 5:55 am    

I'm thinking of creating a set of about 30 minutes to 45 minutes of original or semi-original songs to play as a solo show. This would just be something to keep in my back pocket and then play for small groups in a home party or coffee shop-type setting. Nothing extraordinarily ambitious. Just the kind of thing people can half-listen to while they do other things.

I want to get a sense of just how much of an endeavor this is. I know a lot of people on here have done small sets for steel guitar shows. What I have in mind is something that will showcase the steel guitar itself instead of the songs in particular... because that's what I think people will ultimately want to hear. I want it to flow like a well-crafted set, with songs that have different tones, tempos, feels, etc.

For the little bit of thought I've put into this so far, I think want to use pre-recorded background tracks, but not full arrangements. Only a little bit of percussion on some songs, some kind of instrumentation to fill in the bass-ier range, and maybe an instrument to drone the chords on songs where the steel will be more sparse and melodic. I suppose if I want to really be compelling, I can incorporate different sound effects and looping too. Aside from Band-in-a-Box, I have experience with none of these so far.

Like I said, the end product is something that I'd just want to keep in my back pocket in case anyone asks me to play or if I haven't played out in a while and get the itch to do it. Ideally, I'd like to be able to work on this while I work on other musical projects.

Here are my questions for those of you with answers:

1) Is this a dumb idea?

2) Is this going to end up being a lot more work and frustration that I anticipate?

3) For the backing track part, am I better off finding more experienced people to help me and involving them in the process... or am I better off just figuring it out myself?

4) Will this end up with me buying all kinds of new gear?

5) Can this type of project be done in quality way without obsessing over it?

Thanks for all comments!

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2019 6:23 am    

I traveled by air yesrterday, and heard/saw three different players in three different locations in the airport, doing exactly what you are talking about.
One guy played a Delta Blues style Acoustic through a Small Fishman amp.
One guy played Cello thru a Roland keyboard amp, with many effects.
The 3rd was a female Accordianist, who had a midi Accordion (all kinds of sounds available) thru one of those Bose systems with the square base and speaker pole that sticks up.
This made me think that a Steel player could do a similar gig with a small PA style rig, with and/or without rhythm tracks an vocals.
I myself have done solo sets with background tracks that I either purchased within the Steel world, found on Youtube, or created with a Bass, Drum Macine, and Looper Pedal.
I am more inclined to get a friend to play Snare & Brushes while I play songs I like and know good enough in a low-note intensive Steel style, at this point.
I was thinking maybe house concert openers, and there is also a new Tea Room nearby with alot of avante-gaurd solo-ee instrument (guitar, piano, etc) performances going on, that made me think of doing a solo Steel thing again.

Last edited by Pete Burak on 12 Apr 2019 6:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2019 6:38 am    

Pete Burak wrote:
This made me think that a Steel player could do a similar gig with a small PA style rig, with and/or without rhythm tracks an vocals.
I myself have done solo sets with background tracks that I either purchased within the Steel world, found on Youtube, or createf with a Bass, Drum Macine, and Looper Pedal.

Yeah, but I'm a rank amateur hobbyist, so it could get ugly if it turns into something way over my head. Laughing

I wouldn't want to purchase background tracks. I want the end result to be a crafted product, which is maybe where I'm crossing the line.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2019 6:41 am     Re: Creating a solo set

Curt Trisko wrote:

(A) I'm thinking of creating a set of about 30 minutes to 45 minutes of original or semi-original songs to play as a solo show. This would just be something to keep in my back pocket and then play for small groups in a home party or coffee shop-type setting. Nothing extraordinarily ambitious. Just the kind of thing people can half-listen to while they do other things.

(B) I want to get a sense of just how much of an endeavor this is. I know a lot of people on here have done small sets for steel guitar shows. What I have in mind is something that will showcase the steel guitar itself instead of the songs in particular... because that's what I think people will ultimately want to hear. I want it to flow like a well-crafted set, with songs that have different tones, tempos, feels, etc.

Let me start off by saying that the following may sound like discouragement, but it's not really meant that way. There's honest value in your desires.

I think it's doable, but in my mind your (A) is at odds with your (B) One sounds like just doing background music, stuff that's more for just hearing than for the audience paying any attention to it. The other sounds more like you're playing a concert where people will be sitting at attention and just listening to you.

Another thing I feel you have to come to grips with is that, unless you're at a steel show, "the instrument" holds no real appeal or interest for probably 90% of your audience. I wish it weren't so, but that's just the way it is. We, as steelplayers, are interested in and captivated by the instrument. But, most people aren't. If anything, they'll be concentrating more on the music than on the player or the instrument. (Regretfully, most steelers are very lacking in stage presence.) Whether or not you can compose enough original material, I do not know. That's another skillset in itself.

As far as equipment, that's an open world. It can be as simple or as involved as you want it to be. I've seen steelers who can play a solo set with no backup, and do a credible job of holding an audience's interest. But those are rare individuals, and it depends on how good a player you are.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2019 6:47 am    

Tommy Dodd plays solo at the Atlanta Airport on a regular basis. Just FYI.

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2019 6:52 am     Re: Creating a solo set

Donny Hinson wrote:

Let me start off by saying that the following may sound like discouragement, but it's not really meant that way. There's honest value in your desires.

I think it's doable, but in my mind your (A) is at odds with your (B) One sounds like just doing background music, stuff that's more for just hearing than for the audience paying any attention to it. The other sounds more like you're playing a concert where people will be sitting at attention and just listening to you.

Thanks Donny! I don't see it as discouragement, at all... and in fact, one of my motivations for making this thread is hoping that someone will talk me out of it if it's a crappy idea. Very Happy

I don't expect to have the audience hanging on my every note, but I do think for the kind of people around my age where I live, the sound and look of a pedal steel has novelty enough for them to want me around.

What I mean by saying I anticipate it being background music-ish... and simultaneously showcasing the steel guitar instead of the songs is that I don't plan on having the set being me rigidly plucking out a song - waiting for applause - and then moving on to the next one. Basically, I'm talking about the kind of set where afterwards people will say "that sounded nice" without being able to put their finger on any specific song.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2019 6:53 am    

I would say your idea is totally do-able.
If you want to see Version 1.0, maybe make a vid of yourself playing something solo, and see how it looks to you.
Make a set list, and knock em out one by one.
My living roon is a good house concert space, and I have a Female singer/songwriter friend who does house concerts.
I was thinking of having one at my house and opening it with a solo Steel set, then sitting in with her on a few.
If I were you I would not let anything stop me from getting the project up an running.
For me, most recently, I played several songs solo on Steel in the Telonics room at the Pheonix Steel Show in Jan.
That was a good Steel audience! Smile
If you are thinking of a more Avant-garde solo Steel performance, you could check out Susan Alcorn on Youtube.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2019 7:52 am    

I just discovered iReal Pro for mac, it's mainly chart-making software but once the chart is done you can play it back at any tempo in a multitude of rhythmic styles. these make great backing tracks and can repeat as many times as you wish.

I've also been thinking of doing some solo sets and this software takes me one step closer. it's obviously great for practicing with too. best 20 bucks I've spent in a long time.

good luck Curt, keep us posted!

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2019 8:40 am    

Pete Burak wrote:

If you want to see Version 1.0, maybe make a vid of yourself playing something solo, and see how it looks to you.

So would you say you think it's best for me to work on this in a way where I create a crude version of the final product first and then slowly refine it over time... as opposed to not 'debuting' it until I think it's complete?

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2019 8:34 am    

After you decide on your tracking software, polish up 3 or 4 tunes as best you can. Get the backing tracks mixed and balanced with your steel and see how they sound through your PA. Record your live sound, and do a “dress rehearsal” video like Pete said (no editing allowed!). You don’t have to put on an Elvis act, but an audience is going to be checking you out whether you intend to be the center of attention or not. You have to be in command of your stage as much as your instrument and your overall sound.

If you are like me, you will probably hate seeing yourself on video, so make sure to get a trusted friend who can give you an honest and objective critique watch it with you. I would say post it here on the forum too, but you know all we will say is “Go Curt!”

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2019 9:08 am    

Curt Trisko wrote:
Pete Burak wrote:

So would you say you think it's best for me to work on this in a way where I create a crude version of the final product first and then slowly refine it over time... as opposed to not 'debuting' it until I think it's complete?

Yes imho you have to go with what you have at the time. It will never be "Done".
By making a vid if each song as you get it up and running, you have a reference. By the time you get song #10 up and running you may need to refer to the vid to remember how you did song #1. Smile

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2019 9:14 am    

Curt Trisko wrote:
Pete Burak wrote:

Yes imho you have to go with what you have at the time. It will never be "Done".
By making a vid of each song as you get it up and running, you have a reference. By the time you get song #10 up and running you may need to refer to the vid to remember how you did song #1. Smile

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2019 9:35 am    

Pete Burak wrote:

+1

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2019 10:42 am    

Fred Treece wrote:
Pete Burak wrote:

+1

That's great advice because I'm totally the type of person who can get over-ambitious and get more involved than I had intended in a project.

I've put a little bit more thought into this in the meantime and I think a good starting point would be to borrow individual phrases and passages from other songs that sound exceptional on steel guitar, alter them, and then build arrangements around them. Trying to make songs from scratch seems like an easy way to get obsessive over the project.