The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Is the Emmons Guitar begining to loose it's grip?
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2019 2:18 am    

Tony Prior wrote:
Brad Malone wrote:
Why was the Legrande III discontinued?....seems that they have a good following and that they are respected as great Steels.

They were ALL discontinued ! Laughing

We can all make claims about this and that, a poorly built instrument here and there, poor design, less than quality parts that break etc... The fact of the matter, here is a brand, like Sho Bud that is still holding it's own even after being out of business for a good bit of time !

Will an L- something or other or a Push Pull sell at the asking price ? Maybe not but it will sell eventually at some price within range. It won't sit around for years in a closet because it didn't sell.

Push Pulls are not for everyone, that should be a known given . Various reasons. Mechanics, action , set-up etc... Some people will pass because of its nature, not because of the price.

"Should I buy that old black or brown P Pull for $3000 or that other fairly new ALL Pull for $3500 in a kool color " ?

Another thing is indeed color , not everyone is attracted to a special color but MOST will accept black or brown as they are common and widely accepted.

A guy down the road has been trying to sell his bright yellow new Camaro for months now. Its still sitting with the "For Sale" sign.

regarding Steels for sale with "color" , to me it doesn't much matter what brand it is, Emmons included, if it's a color that I can't connect with, I'm not part of the "interested buyers" club. Price is not even a consideration, I never even got that far !

e
too may variables

I agree with Mr Prior. Emmons guitars still have kudos, and even if one doesn’t play well it can still be stripped down by a good technician and made to play wonderfully. Re colour, I don’t think I’ve ever seen an ugly looking Emmons.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Last edited by Ken Byng on 9 Apr 2019 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2019 3:12 am     Re: Legrande III

[quote="Tony Prior"]
Brad Malone wrote:
Why was the Legrande III discontinued?....seems that they have a good following and that they are respected as great Steels.

Tony Prior wrote:
They were ALL discontinued ! Laughing

We can all make claims about this and that, a poorly built instrument here and there, poor design, less than quality parts that break etc... The fact of the matter, here is a brand, like Sho Bud that is still holding it's own even after being out of business for a good bit of time !

Will an L- something or other or a Push Pull sell at the asking price ? Maybe not but it will sell eventually at some price within range. It won't sit around for years in a closet because it didn't sell.

Push Pulls are not for everyone, that should be a known given . Various reasons. Mechanics, action , set-up etc... Some people will pass because of its nature, not because of the price.

"Should I buy that old black or brown P Pull for $3000 or that other fairly new ALL Pull for $3500 in a kool color " ?

Another thing is indeed color , not everyone is attracted to a special color but MOST will accept black or brown as they are common and widely accepted.

A guy down the road has been trying to sell his bright yellow new Camaro for months now. Its still sitting with the "For Sale" sign.

regarding Steels for sale with "color" , to me it doesn't much matter what brand it is, Emmons included, if it's a color that I can't connect with, I'm not part of the "interested buyers" club. Price is not even a consideration, I never even got that far ! too may variables

I agree with Mr Prior. Emmons guitars still have kudos, and even if one doesn’t play well it can still be stripped down by a good technician and made to play wonderfully. Re colour, I don’t think I’ve ever seen an ugly looking Emmons.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Jeff Evans

Cowtown and The Bill Cox Outfit
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2019 7:01 am     Discount for Ugly

Quote:
I don’t think I’ve ever seen an ugly looking Emmons.

Even the basket-case weave?

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2019 7:31 am    

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
When I was born, I was so ugly, the doctor slapped my mother! Whoa!
Erv

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2019 2:25 am    

Bill Moran wrote:
Emmons guitars are like Corvettes . There are two kind of steel players. The people that own a Emmons and people that want one.
:
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

In the next ten years there will be a flood of steel guitars on the market.(Emmons or not), the youth will inherit the world and I’m not sure enough are getting involved and all those guitars will be dealt with by the widows or children ...supply and demand nearly always dictate cost..sorry hope this isn’t so..
I own various push pulls and they have exactly the tone I like...and if I was to die tomorrow my wife would be left scratching her head...

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2019 4:30 am    

I "had" a Corvette and an Emmons at the same time. I still have the Emmons! Loading the steel and amp into the '65 coupe wasn't easy.

Barry Yasika

Bethlehem, Pa.
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2019 6:07 am     Emmons and Vettes

Ben Lawson wrote:
I "had" a Corvette and an Emmons at the same time. I still have the Emmons! Loading the steel and amp into the '65 coupe wasn't easy.

Come to think of it, I had a Corvette and two Emmons at the same time kinda like you Ben. I too still have both the Emmons but the Vette? It set me free, I don't ever want another Corvette. Talk about depreciation? One of either of my guitars is worth close to what I got for that Vette. I'm glad its gone gone gone!! I see you're in Florida again, good luck down thatta way!!

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2019 6:12 pm    

With me it's not!!!!
Jerry