The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tommy Detamore & Ricky Ray Jackson, Bobby Bare Tribute show
Kevin Swan

Medina, Ohio
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2019 9:23 am    

Pretty sure it's Jackson playing on SiriusXM right now, the show is a tribute to Bobby Bare. He's way up in the mix and sounding just great backing a whole bunch of wonderful singers. The band is Redd Volkaert's Heybale.

Here's the show description from broadwayworld.com website:

In celebration of the Country Music Hall of Famer's 84th birthday on April 7 and over 60 years in the music business, SiriusXM's Outlaw Country will air an all-star tribute concert recorded on the 4th annual Outlaw Country Cruise. The two-hour special will air on SiriusXM Outlaw Country, Channel 60 on Friday, April 5 at 8 p.m. ET, Saturday, April 6 at 10 p.m. ET and Sunday, April 7 at 12 p.m. ET and be available OnDemand through the SiriusXM app on smartphones and other connected devices, as well as online at siriusxm.com.

"I Want to Go Home: An Outlaw Tribute to Bobby Bare" was hosted by actor W. Earl Brown (Deadwood, The Highwaymen) and the two-hour concert features covers of songs associated with Bare performed by an all-star cast including Steve Earle & The Dukes("New Cut Road"), Margo Price ("Tequila Sheila"), The Flatlanders - Joe Ely, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Bruce Hancock ("500 Miles"), Shooter Jennings ("Quaaludes Again"), Mike Cooley of the Drive-By Truckers ("Dropkick Me Jesus"), John Doe ("The Streets of Baltimore"), Jim Lauderdale ("Miller's Cave"), Dale Watson ("That's How I Got to Memphis"), Jesse Dayton with Doug Kershaw ("Marie Laveau"), Laura Cantrell ("Four Strong Winds"), Dallas Wayne ("Margie's at the Lincoln Park Inn") - fronting the ace Austin, TX-based band Heybale!, that backed many of the artists on the show - Bobby Bare Jr. ("Daddy What If") and Bobby Bare himself closing the show with an all-hands-on-deck singalong of his signature hit "Detroit City" with its chorus "I want to go home."

Last edited by Kevin Swan on 8 Apr 2019 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Kevin Swan

Medina, Ohio
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2019 9:01 am     Breaking news!

Sources tell me that, while Ricky Ray DID play on the first song with Steve Earle, the rest of the program was...

Tommy Detamore! I'll go back and re-listen and see if I can tell a difference. If you have SiriusXM the entire show is available streaming on demand.

Thanks to Tommy for some great playing and inspiration. It's tough enough to back someone with whom you may not be all that familiar, but to do several different musicians, one right after the other must be SUPER stressful. So great to hear pedal steel mixed up level with the vocalist, rather than sounding like the poor guy's playing out in the hall!

Mark Dershaw

Arizona and Ohio
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2019 12:12 pm    

I'm not sure when the switch occurs, but at one point they announce that it's Tommy Detamore on steel.