The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavey Powerslide?
Keith Davis

Austin, Tx.
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2019 9:09 am    

Does anyone in Austin have a Peavey Powerslide that I could check out for a few days. I'm looking for a steel I can stand up with that is 25 inch scale.

I have an Asher, but it is really, really heavy and doesn't hang right. I don't want to pay the money for the belly bar.

Any ideas?

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2019 11:17 am    

I had a Peavey Powerslide. The cutaway puts the strings too close to your stomach (well, my stomach!). They are hollow foam core cheap bodies.
The Asher, IMO, is 10X the guitar, and the belly bar puts the strings at the perfect distance from your gut.
Obviously, just my opinion.

Keith Davis

Austin, Tx.
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2019 12:41 pm    

Great to know! Thanks

Gwyndaf Williams

Wales United Kingdom
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2019 3:39 am    

I have the power slide and the Robert Randolph signature model. The signature model is the better guitar with a adjustable belly bar, upgraded p/u and even a better quality strap. Both fun to play and produce a decent sound.

Mike Harris

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2019 6:59 am    

Keith,

I have a powerslide you could check out. I'm just north of 183 not too far from Lamar. Right now it's in dobro (GBDGBD) tuning with rather heavy strings (I think they are flatwounds--they came with it when I bought it used) but you can re-string it however you like if you want.

I'll send you a PM with my phone number.

Mike Harris

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2019 7:02 am    

PM sent--let me know if you don't get it

Joe Breeden

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2019 9:56 am    

I bought the "Robert Randolph" model, but returned it because the fretboard was so far off. Almost unplayable.

Jim Mathis

Overland Park, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2019 1:56 pm    

Can you buy the belly bar as an accessory or is it easy to make one? I have a Powerslide and I am still deciding if I like it. It plays and sound fine, but I am unable to play it standing up, which was my original idea.

Louie Warren

Sumerduck, VA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2020 11:10 am    

Sorry to be late to the party. If this isn't the place to post, please delete and I'll post elsewhere.

I bought a PowerSlide a few years ago and it worked well for what I was doing. My biggest problem with it was the crappy bag, and strap. Has anyone found a case or keyboard bag that works? Any better options for a strap? I've looked and most cases/bags are way too big, and got zero help/interest from custom strap makers to get a better one made. If anyone has found solutions to these two issues, I'd love to hear about it. Thank you in advance.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2020 1:30 pm    

Louie Warren wrote:
Sorry to be late to the party. If this isn't the place to post, please delete and I'll post elsewhere.

I bought a PowerSlide a few years ago and it worked well for what I was doing. My biggest problem with it was the crappy bag, and strap. Has anyone found a case or keyboard bag that works? Any better options for a strap? I've looked and most cases/bags are way too big, and got zero help/interest from custom strap makers to get a better one made. If anyone has found solutions to these two issues, I'd love to hear about it. Thank you in advance.

Here's what I came up with when I owned a Powerslide. I made a plywood "belly shim" that velcro'd on the guitar, and then I modified the strap that came with the guitar to attach at two points at the lower bout (if you can call the bottom of a plastic guitar a 'bout').

It worked pretty darn good.

David Irving

South Australia, Australia
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2020 12:47 am    

Louie Warren wrote:
Has anyone found a case or keyboard bag that works?

I've found that shotgun cases are about the right size for most lap steels. Just get a sheet of dense foam rubber to fit in it, and cut out a guitar-shaped hole.

Louie Warren

Sumerduck, VA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2020 1:31 pm    

Thank you for all the replies.

Just for giggles, I searched for Peavey Powerslide case. I found this: https://www.castlecases.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2268

I figured it was expensive @ $168.20, but see what it would cost out the door. The shipping was more than the case! I requested something similar from Calzone here in the states and got a quote of over $500! I just wanted something better than the one that came with it. Hard to put a $200. guitar in a $500. case.

So now, shotgun or keyboard cases seem to be the way to go. Just have to find the right size.

Also, on the Certano benders, David suggested removing the old bridge and install a new one. Still trying to figure out how to do that. Since the guitar isn't solid wood, I would think an LP wrap around bridge or the like wouldn't last very long.

Sorry to be annoying, but I like to bounce things off people in this forum to see what's been done and not done, so I don't reinvent the wheel. Thank you all in advance!

Louie Warren

Sumerduck, VA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2020 7:28 am    

I just got a Calzone keyboard case off eBay that fits the guitar. No, it's not perfect, but with some foam, it may be closer than anything.

As for the bridge, I was wanting a roller bridge, but they all seem to be mounted like Gibson Tune-o-matic's with the studs and all. If I understand correctly, the PowerSlide is not a solid wood guitar, but foam with a hollowed wood shell. Not sure the studs would stay; I have an Epi Les Paul that the studs are pulling out, and the guitar is solid multi piece wood. I was looking at something like this (no, I haven't measured the PowerSlide's current bridge to see if it would work): https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardware/bridges-and-tailpieces/bridges-and-tailpieces-for-electric-guitar/non-trem-bridges/golden-age-top-loading-hardtail-bridge.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2020-06-gp&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_abl7Kmn6gIVCaCzCh1QVAGLEAQYASABEgKK5_D_BwE[/url]