The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Xr-16
Boo Bernstein

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2019 3:33 pm    

I have an XR-16 pickup from about three years ago that only had 2 wires; the newer ones I purchased are the 3 wire versions. The 2 wire p/u measures @24k while the 3 wire version both measure @31k.

Has anyone found this to be the case and if there are tonal differences? I haven't tried them in the same guitar, but seem to remember that the 2 wire version had a bit of a mellower high end.

I realize that this is all relative but before I go through the exercise of changing them out to A/B them, I thought I'd check in with others. Thanks in advance!

Boo Bernstein

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2019 5:08 am    

Anyone? Smile

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2019 10:56 pm    

Hey Boo.
I got a new one a few months ago and honestly don’t remember if it was 3 wire or 2.
It replaced a Telonics 12 string pickup. Not quite as much gain attack as the Telonics.
Warmer than the BL 712.
John

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2019 2:39 pm    

Wow,I've had one in my aluminum neck Desert Rose for about 8 years and it sounds great!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

George Macdonald

Vancouver Island BC Canada
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2019 2:51 pm     Xr-16

My 2004 Carter S12 universal came with an XR-16. After 4 years of being quite happy with the pickup I started trying different pickups. [6 or 7 over the years]. Last July I put a new Lawrence XR-16 in the Carter and I believe it will be staying. It is the 3 wire version and I was told by Becky Lawrence to ignore the red wire unless I wanted to split the coils. It's a great sounding pickup in the Carter.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2019 3:19 pm    

I just put a 3 wire XR16 in my Mullen SD12. I did put the switch in to split the coil (red wire). It sounds awesome in humbucker mode, but even better in single coil. Much livelier. Can't wait to see if it will buzz as bad as the Mullen Single coil in certain places. It's nice to have the option.

Of course, this really didn't answer your question.

Boo Bernstein

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2019 8:46 am    

Thanks to everyone for your input. Again, it could just be that I'm remembering things differently. I am a fan of this pick-up and it sounds very good; just seem to remember that my first one's high end was a little mellower. Thanks again!

George Macdonald

Vancouver Island BC Canada
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2019 10:29 am     Xr-16

Boo,
I do use a Sarno Freeloader to roll off the highs a little. I have always used a Black Box, Freeloader, or Matchbox to help dial in the right tone.