The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Moyo?
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2019 7:13 am    

I'd love to see a picture of how the mechanics are actually hooked up,,the path from pedal to string??

Eric Watts

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2019 11:53 am    

MEEE TOOO!!!!

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2019 12:26 am    

fantastic guitars, I had S12 and it was a wonderful guitar, beautiful tone, and stays in perfect tune, no cabinet drop that I noticed... sold it only because it was a 12 string, and I always have hard time getting used to those two extra strings...

I did a little steel work with my MOYO on couple European songs, nothing fancy , just adding some color to the song, and this guitar was awesome

https://youtu.be/BlnXvCO5qvo

Eric Watts

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2019 7:44 am    

Very nice Damir!! Enjoyed it very much!!! Any pictures of the underside?? Changer end looks so well thought out. Tuners and ball ends all in one clean package.

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 9 Feb 2019 12:52 pm    

I have to see the mechanics,,,PLEASE!!!!!

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2019 2:24 pm    

I hope Glenn doesn't mind; I've got some undercarriage shots of Damir's S12 (# 9, I believe). I wish I could've snagged it.
I'm absolutely in love with these guitars.

No space wasted here.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2019 5:25 pm    

Eric Watts wrote:
Very nice Damir!! Enjoyed it very much!!! Any pictures of the underside?? Changer end looks so well thought out. Tuners and ball ends all in one clean package.

thanks Eric, yes, it is a very solidly built guitar, and it will sound like a regular steel, you can play in any country band, or it would sound smooth and woody if you choose , very nice instrument...

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 9 Feb 2019 7:04 pm    

Thanks Charlie,,,that one has cross rods,,very much like a Kline,,,the later don't seem to have. I can't for the life of me figure out how,,,or IF they work as well as cross shaft guitars.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2019 6:07 am    

Sonny, I hesitated to post because I suspect that each guitar is an evolution. Each is certainly a work of art.

Eric Watts

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2019 8:00 am    

Glenn told me he was building for size and weight for air travel. The stout sides and short cross shafts would be very stiff. Without bell cranks the action and pull times are also going to be without spring or give from materials bending even a tiny bit.

Changer finger action is still a mystery to me. Are they pull release? Or all pull?

That is a lot of rods heading to the changer/tuner end of the guitar. Fascinating work!!!

I wish more builders used some of these light weight and solid designs. A twenty pound U-12 in a soft case would be amazing!!!

Hope Glenn checks back with more details about the evolution of his builds!!!

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 10 Feb 2019 9:54 am    

What is price of an S12 uni???

Glenn Taylor

Denver, CO, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2019 3:32 pm    

OK here's where the drive train starts, these are the pedal pulls:

the knee bone's connected to the thigh bone: the rod from the pedal pull goes to the left end of the guitar to a swivel that connects to a rod going back toward the changer:

then that rod connects to another swivel or two and divides off to spread the pull to whatever strings I'm changing with that pedal or knee lever. The ends of those rods connect to the changer:

The pulls are stopped and tuned at the right side endplate. Here you can see the string tuners as well:

Moyo #15

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2019 7:20 pm    

Glenn, you sounded great at the Denver Steel Show, band was excellent too.

Awesome mechanics, hard stops at the end-plate, and that's no yoke! Or is it?

Looks like the early Moyo had some cross shafts. It's cool to see how your design has evolved. Clean under the hood!

Eric Watts

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2019 6:35 am    

After studying the all lever design I realized that it is a rigid Fender cable system without cables. The stiff body and neck that is so light weight combined with Fender cables could be even less weight. Which could put you into Multi-Kord weight and wiggles when playing catagory.

So at some point we need some mass to play without chasing the steel around the stage. Leg angle could increase stability on super light weight guitars.. .

A Kline style changer actually used a hoop ended rod again not unlike Fender cables hoop ends.
I like how you have evolved the design and once the rods and levers are set I bet it stays PUT!!

My Fender 400 just gets better and better the more I realize Leo had an amazing design. Making the changer accept multiple pulls per string is just a pull release design add on for halfstops.

Really enjoy your work Glenn. Keep us posted on the progress of the latest Build!!!

George Geisser

Branson, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2019 7:51 am    

I absolutely love the unconventional approach in the design and mechanics of the guitar. I saved a cable less Fender 1000 and built it without cross shafts and bell cranks simular but crude compared to yours

If you are ever in Branson MO come by the George Jones and Friends show as a guest of mine and I'll even buy dinner so's I can pick your brain. George by George

Glenn Taylor

Denver, CO, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2019 12:30 pm    

and vise versa if you're ever in Denver....
Yes Eric it is very Fender-like without the cables. I have worked on some Fender 400s and I like them.
Regarding overall weight: it is something to consider. The last two single-12s I built are around 33 lbs. in the (very light) case and they don't move around much when I play them. The first steel I built was 17 lbs. in the case, and it definitely had a tendency to dance around. But it was very playable, and I adapted to it. Very much worth it for traveling. The steel that I'm building now will be lighter weight, but not that light.
They do stay in tune.

Eric Watts

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2019 5:53 pm    

Glenn, I have been working on a Marlen pull release from early 60s. One thing about that style of changer is the ability to time the pulls so that one pedal actually can do a pull in the first half of movement and a release or lower as well on the second half of the pedals movement. Makes for some wonderful combinations on a B/C6 tuning I was working on.

My fender 400 because of the balanced pulley system. Which is like the balance cross plates in the new Moyo would only allow even timed pulls. With your changer it looks like you can have 2 or 3 pulls or lowers combined, or more. But all will be timed and balanced together.

How light of materials do you think could be used with your design??? I really like the all lever and rod style. Just thinking that it would work just as well with some 3/16 tig welding filler rod. I use that a lot to test pulls on modern changers and then just leave it in place. Plenty strong enough.

With the fretboard mounted directly to the body top. Have you found any tone or sustain changes from a typical changer peg head with an added so called neck.
I don't see the need with your sleek low changer and tuner combo with a rigid fixed nut.

You have eliminated so many traditional pieces that a the majority of the steel players might dismiss evolution as just to out there!!

Stay out there Glenn. The air on the fringes is always so much better than deep in the Group..LOL

Eric Watts

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2019 6:06 pm    

Forgot to mention the Moyo volume pedal was a big hit at the Louisville Pedal Steel Club's Sunday meeting and show!! Several Players sat down and tried it out for feel. All were amazed at the size and design!!

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2019 6:44 pm    

More Moyo... small footprint, BIG sound. Glenn is a great player!

Glenn Taylor

Denver, CO, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2019 6:01 am    

thank you Dan, very nice of you.
Eric, regarding rods, yes they are a significant part of the overall weight. I use 1/8" stainless steel rods. I've been wondering if 7075 aluminum would work, but I'm a little nervous because I thread them at one end (6-32) and they screw into the clevises.
I will post more pictures as I build #17--lately I've been building volume pedals, trying to stay ahead.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2019 8:37 am    

It's also good to hear that it's going well enough to play and live the dream.

Steven Meyrich

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2019 12:30 pm    

Since I started this thread I did acquire a Moyo and I am in steep learning mode which has been delayed by a fractured humerus but getting to know Glenn has been a pleasure and I am starting to be able to play a bit again but am facing another shoulder
surgery in a few weeks. Thanks to Glenn for the encouragement and amazing guitars. Don't forget his cool pedals also.

Steve

Glenn Taylor

Denver, CO, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2019 7:58 am    

getting ready to glue it all up---here's the dryfit for the sides, neck, and aluminum that will become a solid mass of pedal steel guitar

Eric Watts

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2019 6:14 am    

Its coming along nicely! Does this one have anything new compared to your past builds?

Are the knee lever axle bolts directly in the wood side? Do you use a threaded insert to take the bolts?

As far as aluminum for the pull rods I haven't had much luck with them. To soft to cut good threads. 3/16 steel works great and is light and inexpensive.

Keep pictures coming Glenn!!!

Glenn Taylor

Denver, CO, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2019 7:31 am    

yes the knee lever bolts have threaded inserts in the maple side.
The design is pretty much the same as past builds. I am using more 7075 aluminum instead of stainless steel.