The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  E’s on right knee
Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2019 8:07 am    

E9 players: Those of you that raise and lower E’s with right knee, what do you prefer on your LKL and LKR?

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2019 8:36 am    

LKL F Raise
LKR 6th string lower to F# and Raise 1st and 2nd strings to E and G#
It is just what I started with and am used to.

Last edited by Ken Metcalf on 8 Mar 2019 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Larry Phleger

DuBois, PA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2019 8:36 am    

I change string 9 to B and tune string 10 to G# as I also play U12. My LKL lowers strings 2 and 8 to D. My LKR lowers 5 and 9 to Bb.

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2019 8:38 am    

LKL lowers 2 (D/C#)and 9 (C#)
LKR raises 1 (G#), 2 (E) and 7( G)

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2019 8:44 am    

Standard factory MSA set up for years... If you bought an MSA off the shelf in the 70's 80's, this is what you got..

RKR- E-Eb
RKL- E-F
LKR- Eb-D-C#
LKL- F#-G

Never saw a need to change that and always played it, still do.. I raise the 1st string F# to G# thats about the only change I have made to the stock MSA set up..

Today, I NEVER see any MSA set to factory configuration with E;s on the right.. They have all been changed around over the decades.. No one wants the e's on the right for some odd reason.... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Larry Phleger

DuBois, PA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2019 9:06 am    

As I said earlier, I also play a U12. I have the Day setup on my floor pedals, and the Es on the right knee really work out well for me on both guitars.

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2019 11:43 am    

LKR raise 1& 2, lower 6
LKL lower 2 & 9, raise 7

Chris Reesor

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2019 7:10 pm    

E9/B6 U12 as well, which is where you will likely find most players with both E changes on the right knee, but my LKL is 2 & 9 to D, LKR is 1 to G and 6 to F#.
Vertical is string 5 down a half, FWIW.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2019 6:49 am    

Brooks,I have my E's lowering on my RKL My LKL Raises both E's to F while raising string #9 D+To Eb...My LKR raise string 1 F#up to G# and lowering string #6 G# down to F#and with a split to G.hope I got this right.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Slim Heilpern

Aptos California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2019 7:31 am    

FWIW, on my U12, I lower my E's using RKL so that I can use both feet on the pedals when I need to in B6 mode.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2019 1:07 pm     E's on Right Knee

When I started playing knee levers in 1999 I played Day with LKL lower E's (D knee lever). LKR Raise E's (F knee lever).
In Dec. 2017 I went to a GFI S12 U. I set it up Newman/Day. Moved Raise E's (F Knee Lever) RKL, Lower E's (D Knee Lever) RKR.
LKL now Raises 9th to D and 2nd to C#. LKR/Vertical 5th string A#.
When I changed I had to concentrate for a couple weeks till I got the new Right Knee movements into my Nero Memory. The moves come natural now.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2019 6:59 am    

In 1982 I brought a Brand New Sho-Bud Pro 11. It came from factory with Day pedals on the floor and RKR lowered 2nd string a whole tone only, no half stop feel and RKL lowered both E's a whole tone. I never added anything more, I could not play what it had,ha. A few years later the guitar was stolen and when I brought another it was set up basic Emmons. I left it as it was. Emmons on the floor, E's on the Left, LKL raises & LKR lowers both E's. RKR lowers 2nd 1/2 & whole tone and lowers 9th which I have never learned how to use and RKL raises 1st & lowers 6th. Up lever lowers 5 & 10.
This is way more than I can use so I leave it alone. J.R.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2019 3:06 pm    

I've always lowered my E's with RKL and raised them with LKL.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2019 12:50 pm    

Thanks guys. As I suspected, it’s all over the place with the left knee functions.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2019 7:09 pm    

I lower my E's with the RKR, and raise them with the LKR. I didn't raise the E's to F for about the first 20 years I played and when I added the change, the LKR was the easiest lever to add them to.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2019 10:57 am    

I lower the E's with RKR. The reason... I found that Whole-step pulls work better on inward-moving levers for my GFI. So, when I repurposed the LKR (factory E-lower), I had to move the E-lowers to an outward lever... and, RKR felt more natural than LKL.

Tom Mossburg

AZ,
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2019 5:59 pm     E raises and lowers on UNI

For years I lowered with RKL. Raised with LKL. The LKL works well in conjunction with the A pedal. A friend of mine had his lower on RKR so I decided to Try it. I found that it is easier to hold the "D" lever on that knee without fatigue. It also gets your leg out of the way for the left leg on the 6th pedals. My RKL lowers my 2nd 8th string. My LKR raises the 1st and 2nd strings and also lowers the the 7th a half. Maurice suggested this setup to me and I'm glad I changed. I find with this setup I can get a lot of 6th stuff with just the knees and AB pedals. Also RKL and LKR gets a nice diminished. To this day though songs I learned with e lowers on RKL, I still tend to try to do that. It doesn't work but does add excitement. Took a while to get used to just for that reason.

Jeremy Threlfall

now in Western Australia
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2019 8:40 pm    

LKL : lowers 3&6
LKR : lowers 2&9
LKV : raises 1&2
http://ralwaybell.bandcamp.com/

Kristen Bruno

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2019 4:51 am    

With my 10 string E9 (3 floor pedals)
LKL raise E
LKR lowers E

With My Universal (7 floor pedals)
LKL raise E
RKR lowers E (I moved it from LKR because it would hinder 4,5,6 and 7 floor pedal movement with my left foot as I do not have elastic legs)

K

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2019 3:42 pm     E's on the Left

I would never have purchased my 2nd guitar, if I had to play the Emmons Way..... nuff said

The first Pedal Steel I had, was a Sho~Bud Professional, that came setup Emmons style, but my Steel Guitar player buddy took it home & set it up the Day WAY... All of my Guitars have been that way for 45 years. Ergonomically correct IMHO.

One of my other Friends had an Emmons, set up the Emmons Way & I told him his guitar was setup for a contortionist. We ain't friends anymore. No matter, he can't play worth a damn & he wasn't a real good friend. But he was absolutely welcome to do it his way...

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2019 9:01 pm    

I think it's down to personal geometry - which way your ankle naturally bends. Emmons and Day both had the same A/B idea at the same time and each did what worked for them.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2019 9:19 am    

Ian Rae wrote:
I think it's down to personal geometry - which way your ankle naturally bends. Emmons and Day both had the same A/B idea at the same time and each did what worked for them.

Credit where credit is due. I think the following would indicate that the "split pedal" idea was first done by Sonny Burnett, then Buddy Emmons, then Jimmy Day.

Buddy Emmons wrote:
Bud (Isaacs) originally pulled the B and lower G# strings with one pedal. I split the B string pull away from the G# pulls, and placed them on separate pedals in 1956. Sonny Burnette had split pedals before I did, but I did not get the idea from him. I got it from Jimmy Day and Spider Rich playing harmony on a Dave Rich album. The only way I could get that sound was to split the function of the single pedal. I told Day what I'd done, but I didn't tell him which way I split them. So he had his split just the opposite.