The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gold Tone Condenser mic for dobro
David Cook

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2019 5:01 pm    

Any one have experience with these. I am trying to talk myself out of the Nahsville pickup and aura pedal expense. It will probably be for groups without drummer

Thanks,David

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2019 6:39 pm    

I can´t speak to the Condenser Mic, but I have the Gold Tone ABS Dynamic Mic with the Stompbox Preamp.

https://goldtonemusicgroup.com/goldtone/accessories/abs

It works great, but it is not real loud. The Preamp provides a lot of tone shaping capability and the volume is certainly enough for a small acoustic venue.

HTH. Good Luck in your search! Cool

Brian McGaughey

Orcas Island, WA USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2019 6:33 am    

I had a similar Gold Tone mic for dobro as Michael’s. No way to overcome feedback in an electric combo setting. Keep in mind that all the acoustic feedback issues will occur with this mic just like using a mic on a stationary stand. I could imagine it working for small volume boosts in quieter acoustic settings.

I sprang for a Schoonover modular spider with the Nashville pickup and a JD Aura pedal. It works and works flawlessly. Sounds like a dobro. Don’t do the pickup without the Aura.

Don Barnhardt

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2019 3:47 pm    

I just got one of the Goldtone mics and it's great for the type playing I do when I need a little extra boost. A plus is that you can switch it to different instruments and it's just a $200 investment. The Fishman/Aura setup that Jerry Douglas uses is about $1000 plus the cost of the instrument. For that kind of money you could get a beautiful George Boards guitar and an assortment of pedals (including resonator simulator).

Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 15 Mar 2019 4:44 pm    

I've haven't used that one, but I've tried a few others, which led me to the fishman/aura system,which I too was avoiding...a used jd aura pedal and a used gretsch which comes with the fishman installed gave me an excellent and loud sound with any loud band configuration, and pretty affordably. I've played a BlackBeard reso for a few years now, which is objectively a better instrument in most every way- while it's night and day acoustically compared to the gretsch, they both sound excellent through the imaging pedal.

L. Bogue Sandberg

Chassell, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2019 3:50 pm    

Since I play an 8 string the Fishman isn't an option. So I've used the Gold Tone condenser mic for six years or so and it's works very well for me. I run it through an ART phantom pro II to a Roland AC-33 for small venues. On stage, it goes directly to the PA or house sound board (no preamp) with good results. I've used it on a McKenna 8, an OMI 8, a McKenna 7, and a 1930's fiddle edge Dobro. So the portability is nice.