The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fingerpicks
Charley Paul

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2019 11:35 am    

What’s everybody using for fingerpicks that are READILY AVAILABLE?

I’ve been having great success with Golden Gate thumpicks and Propick 1’s. Switching to Propicks was a big deal for me. I have been using Dunlop fingerpicks for banjo for the past 20 years. As you can imagine, change doesn’t come easily...

Anybody else?

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2019 3:50 am    

Golden Gate smalls are my favorite thumb pick. There is another thread about Hoffmeyer picks, which has a lot of info on people's likes and dislikes with finger picks. I'm a fan of the Hoffmeyers.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2019 4:19 am    

I'm using Showcase 1941 finger picks. They are supposed to be the same as the original National's. I was introduced to them by Herby Wallace about 15 years ago.

Paul Pearson

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2019 4:53 am     Finger picks

I to am a fan of the showcase 1941 best picks you can use imo I bought my first set at a steel show to me they are better than the Jeff Newman picks great fit and great tone

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2019 6:44 am    

Fred Kelly slik pick thumbpick (orange ones) and National NP2 finger picks.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2019 1:27 pm    

I use a Golden Gate thumb pick.
I was using a National until my grandson broke it, bless his heart. Very Happy
Erv

Bob Russell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2019 9:05 pm    

Currently National NP2 and either John Pearse or Fred Kelly SlickPick thumbpicks.
Also fingers.

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2019 9:14 pm    

One more NP2’s with Fred Kelly thumb pick. Smile

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2019 4:22 am    

Longtime National devotee here, but I’m loving the Pro Piks now. With Nationals and some of the others I’ve tried (Hoffmeyer, Showcase, Newman, etc.) I spend more time trying to get the bands shaped to my liking than I do the blades. The Pro Piks for me are perfect in that regard right out of the box. I just tighten them some, bend the blade a bit, and I’m good to go.

Also, I always have had issues keeping my picks on. (I pick hard and sweat a lot Smile )The Pro Pik bands have more surface area and smaller holes which helps keep them on. Also, the smaller holes help avoid getting that “hex” shape in the bands as you tighten them. Those “points” that develop due to the hex shape can snag on the adjacent pick sometimes. Plus the price is right. My favorites are the Vintage-style #1.

YMMV of course Wink

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

Joseph Carlson

Grass Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2019 8:26 am    

I've tried a bunch and finally settled on these https://www.perfecttouchpicks.com/

Super comfortable and stay on without being too tight. Normal style finger picks would push back my cuticles and also click together, both those issues are resolved with these picks.

For the thumb I really like the white Fred Kelly Speed Picks. These are priced so reasonably they almost offset the expense of the finger picks!

https://www.amazon.com/Fred-Kelly-Picks-D3-H-8-Delrin/dp/B00JA4T7G0/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?keywords=white+fred+kelly+speed+picks&qid=1552494279&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2019 9:31 am    

White Fred Kelly on the thumb and brass 2 band Pro Piks... very comfortable!

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2019 11:27 am    

Jack wrote:
I'm using Showcase 1941 finger picks.

Me too.. used the NP-2s for a long time but I had some of these laying around unopened for quite a while. I finally tried 'em and I think I like these better from a comfort standpoint.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2019 7:20 pm    

https://www.elderly.com/accessories/picks/fingerpicks

I think I posted this before somewhere, but Elderly has a great selection of finger picks. Several models that they send out for cobalt plating.

I'm still using up my supply of JF's but if I didn't have those, I believe I'd like to try the cobalt ones like the Showcase 41's or NP2's .

Those Bob Perry's look interesting too.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2019 8:46 am    

I just got a set of (4) NP2's, and shaped-up two and tried them out for a while.
I liked them very much.
I can dig in real hard with these.
The guy said that Jeff modeled the Horseshoe picks after these. Not sure if that is the case but they feel real stiff (in a good way) like Jeffs, but I never had to shape Jeffs as much.
I also bought a few of the blade-thumb-picks, and a tapered-powder-coated bar, at the Dallas show.

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2019 9:27 am    

Ever since my original National (German nickel) finger picks wore out, I've been using ProPik vintage style finger picks, which I get from Guptill Music:
https://www.guptillmusic.com

I use either National (white) or Dunlap (tortoise-shell) medium thumbpicks.

Keep on pickin'
Glenn

Bob Russell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2019 11:00 am    

Pete Burak wrote:
I just got a set of (4) NP2's, and shaped-up two and tried them out for a while.
I liked them very much.
I can dig in real hard with these.
The guy said that Jeff modeled the Horseshoe picks after these. Not sure if that is the case but they feel real stiff (in a good way) like Jeffs, but I never had to shape Jeffs as much.
I also bought a few of the blade-thumb-picks, and a tapered-powder-coated bar, at the Dallas show.

How are you liking the tapered bar, Pete? Do you see any advantages over the usual straight-sided bars?

John Talbott

Castle Rock, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2020 10:33 am     Finger Picks

Anybody heard of or had experience with "Diamond" Titanium finger picks?

GFI Ultra D10
L120, L10k & StageOne Volume pedals
PV Spcl 130, NV112, NV400 & LTD400
Alesis Q-Verb/GT
PV TranstubeFex
Match-Bro

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 May 2020 11:13 am    

I'm waiting for the mail person to deliver a second Propik"Reso"that matches the one they sent a few days ago,for some reason I had trouble ordering 2picks,A very nice guy at Deering banjos straightened out my stupidity,I've been using Dunlops since 1972 so this is a big deal for me.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 26 May 2020 5:11 pm    

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=357636

about vintage Nationals, a lot of people on ebay/reverb are misrepresenting common ones as the Oval 8's that are so coveted by banjo players.

The real ones are still sporadically available, I think reproductions by Yates Banjos and Doug Hoffmeyer are good picks.

Darren Mortillaro

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2020 2:40 am    

While we're on the subject...

Anyone know how to tighten a loose plastic thumb pick, and conversely how to loosen a tight plastic thumb pick?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 27 May 2020 4:22 am    

Dip in boiling water, but be careful!!! Don't burn yourself. Use tongs or a needle nose pliers to dip for a few seconds. After dipping, then reshape. The hot water makes the plastic pliable. You may have to do this a time or two to get it right. Don't soak and check that it's not too hot to handle before re-shaping.

This works for polycarbonate, basic plastic picks. Some the other materials such as thermoplastic Cool and Ultex picks don't respond so well.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2020 4:53 am    

Darren,
They make thumb picks in different sizes.
Just find one in the size you like. Very Happy
Erv

Richard Lotspeich

North Georgia
Post  Posted 27 May 2020 3:15 pm     picks

Some (most) thumb picks can be held close to a standard light bulb to heat enough to shape. Tenderly though.

Darren Mortillaro

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2020 1:19 am    

Cool, thanks, I'll try that. I live on a desert island in the middle of nowhere, so supplies are hard to come by. Smile